Author Topic: strategy against manticore  (Read 7612 times)

Offline linkox

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
strategy against manticore
« on: August 09, 2013, 08:29:10 am »
What i have to do against that weapon? every time it fire destroys all the weapons of my ship

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Re: strategy against manticore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:57:52 am »
You can snipe out the manticore with a Mercury field gun or Artemis missile launcher.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:44 am »
the reload on a manticore is insanely long (14 Seconds if I'm not mistaken).... unfortunately though, by the time you've rebuilt everything, he has reloaded... basic strategy, is to rebuild up until you only need 1 more hit to completely rebuild it, and wait for him to fire again. Then just bring everything up fully, and pound away. A lot of people will also say that a good hwacha gunner will wait till he sees you rebuild, but if that's the case, then it gives your pilot time to maneuver outside of the manticores arc.... This strategy does not work in all situations, and you may have to rebuild as fast as possible (at which point, you may want to double team it to beat the hwacha's reload)

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:16 am »
At mid to long range Hwachas shot can be dodged by using pilot tools to go up, down, or horizontally. A chain gun with heavy clip  and a good gunner can engage at 700 meters, so often I'll engage at my max range, dodge a volley and move closer once my chain gunner has destroyed their gun.

Also it's important to note that one Hwacha doesn't do enough armor damage to kill most ships on it's own so as long as you repair your armor the aforementioned method of almost fully rebuilding works great.

Make sure your gunners bring pipe wrenches and not the default mallet, pipe wrenches will bring up their guns much faster.

Finally if being shot by e Hwacha is inevitable, I'll often try to orient my engines away from the shot, so that even if I may lose my guns, I can still maneuver to a more advantageous position.

Also, I salute you for being patient enough to ask how to counter the Hwacha instead of starting a thread raging about how op it is.  You'd be surprised how often that happens from newer players.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:48:57 am »
When you see a Hwacha pointing at you, automatically assume it is gonna send a volley your way. Keep your eye on it and as soon as you see the glow of a rocket, use an evasion tool like Chute Vent, Hydrogen, or Moonshine. If they're far enough away, only a few rockets will hit you and now they have to reload.

I favor Chute Vent over the others as it has the fastest position displacement, plus, they'll probably hit your balloon, which doesn't hurt very much.

If they're close, you should already be moving. It's best to always figure they are about to fire at any second. And if you do get hit, try and get at least one gun on them while the others repair, otherwise all they have to do is wait for their gun to reload. Get a flamer or Carronade on them if you can, or a Gatling preferably.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »
Also most of the light weapons have a much greater lateral and vertical field of fire than the Hwacha. When taking on an all hwacha galleon You want to stay in its blind spots (above, below, front or behind). Unfortunately most of these strategies rely on an experienced pilot. If you get stuck on a ship with a lousy pilot you are screwed.

Offline linkox

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:41:09 pm »
thanks to all, now i have an idea of what to do as gunner or pilot. I will take note