Author Topic: Beginners Only Matches - Level restriction - class bound  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Hasu Kimchi

• Salutes: 1
    • [BDGR]
    • View Profile
Beginners Only Matches - Level restriction - class bound
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »
Hey sup?

I want to discuss the level restriction for beginners only games.
Generally it's a good thing to restrict the level but in my mind it would be better to to bind this restriction to class level.

For example I'm a rank 6 engineer and with my 200 games I am not really a beginner. But if I want to pilot, I am a beginner.
And now it's pretty hard to get into piloting because the most enemy pilots are high ranked and a lot of people would rather fly with a r5 captain, then with a r1 captain.

A lot of preople recommending to start with engineer and swap later to pilot, but with this restriction I got the feeling that it's better to watch some tutorial videos and instantly pilot, because then you have the newer pilots against you and not the higher ranked ones.

tl;dr: wouldn't it be better to restrict the level in beginner matches to the class? so higher ranked gunners and engis can learn piloting in a lower skilled enviroment?

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Only Matches - Level restriction - class bound
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 02:56:25 pm »
I noticed the exact same mistake too.

Well for one, the ranking system is pretty bad, its all achievements that force you into playing completely unorthodox and not good. It makes you want to try, but in the end, achievements are a blight that forces people into hoarding it rather than playing it.

But in other cases however, i could definitely see if the other ranks also level up a little if you play engineer alot. Just enough to show that you are experienced in the game, and not just the class.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 02:58:07 pm »
Sounds like a good idea. I would have taken advantage of beginner games when I was learning to pilot. The skill transfer from gunner to engineer and back is too great to allow level 6 engineers into a game if they are a level 1 gunner, but piloting is such a different skill set that I think it would be fare letting high level gunners and engineers into beginner games if they are a level 1 pilot.  It would also give the real beginner  gunners and engineers some one to learn from.

For now if you are worried about people not joining your ship because you are a low ranked pilot, I would suggest joining a crew as an engineer, playing a game or two as an engineer to show people you know what you are talking about, then asking to pilot or taking over a vacant pilot spot. In my experience many people are willing to put up with a new pilot rather than have to fly themselves. Also some people (including myself) would rather fly with a bad pilot that can communicate than a mute pilot.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:06:00 pm »
If I'm not mistaken it is possible to get access to levelled matches, you need to talk to a CA ingame about it. Also when I'm online I'll crew with low level crews to help them out so give me a shout if you see me.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:14:58 pm »
The ranking system is pretty bad, its all achievements that force you into playing completely unorthodox and not good. It makes you want to try, but in the end, achievements are a blight that forces people into hoarding it rather than playing it.

With the exception of the engineer buffing ones which are a grind and potentially hazardous to ship health, I think the achievements are a pretty good system for teaching players about their toolsets, and gameplay.

Offline Kitty.Hawk

• Salutes: 9
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 07:37:36 am »
I have to say that I basically started out piloting, occasionally engineering. But I find myself a bit scared every time a captain asks me to man anything other than a gatling or cannonade due to inexperience. So, it is a bit nice to be able to join the newbie games to practice my gun proficiency.

Offline bullethose

• Salutes: 2
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 07:45:55 am »
If I'm not mistaken it is possible to get access to levelled matches, you need to talk to a CA ingame about it. Also when I'm online I'll crew with low level crews to help them out so give me a shout if you see me.
you're nice I just get full of trash talk and frustration.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:45 am »

Gaining access to the Beginners matches is possible, but this is currently only used for Training days (where experienced players help train newer ones.) I do agree with hamster here. Pilot is probably the only class I could see being separate from engineer and gunner.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »
For engineers I'd be worried about people joining just with the buffing kit. While it's useful in a well trained crew, it just wreaks havoc without communication. Hamster and Shinkurex have got a point, I'd definitely allow Level 1-3 Pilots to join beginner matches.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:12 pm »
I cant see any problems with using the "Make Crew" function to set up a match, the spawning into the match lobby from there.  It gets around the level restrictions  quite nicely.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 01:45:40 am »
i dont think singling out the pilot class for special treatment in regard to the beginner matches is a good idea. yes its a different set of game behaviors to get used to. but someone who has experience with gunning or engineering enough to no longer be able to be in beginner matches is no longer going in cold as a pilot. they have a better understanding of the maps from being on them more. they have a better understanding of how to attack different ships from being on ships with better pilots. you pick up on stuff about each class just from being around them even if you are not playing them because you are communicating with them.  its just how people learn everything, its part of being human

a level 4 engineer or gunner is almost guaranteed to be a better pilot their first time than someone who has not been on ships as long as they have. there is a reason it is common advice to play gunner and engineer first.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 02:19:34 am »
Solution offered here

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile