Author Topic: Tar bomb laucher  (Read 12693 times)

Offline Boarchild

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Tar bomb laucher
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 04:57:20 pm »
I'm not talking about tar. While this is in a thread called the tar bomb launcher, I read that as thermobaric weapon and wrote in that vein, intending:

1) a weapon that fires a round
2) the round will explode remotely in some way - shooting at, laying another one, remote trigger
3) when it explodes it will have AoE setting fire to components if any are within reach.

I don't wan't to be picky here, allthough I will seem to.. But a thermobaric weapon isn't designed to set things on fire, it's designed as a pressure wave explosive device. I agree with Plasmarobo here, tar already accomlishes what is described.

Offline Cowboy Spike Spiegel

• Salutes: 4
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 12:29:29 am »
Now some of us had a couple of ideas about a weapon concerning actual tar, not tar smoke. A weapon that could actually coat a ship in tar and potentially make that ship more susceptible to fire. Now withe 1.3 update fire s bad enough so i could see why it wouldn't be a very welcome idea but I would see it similar to a flamethrower, spewing tar on components which makes them more susceptible to fire, pretty much adding a damage modifier.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:02 am »
I think the heavy flamethrower discussion is more relevant to that. Some kind of Napalm weapon or something.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 11:06:38 am »
I think it's worth noting that the mines currently in the game have a good chance to ignite a 5 stack of fire on everything in its AoE. Do we really need a second mine that's only good at setting fires?

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 02:14:54 pm »
a thermobaric weapon isn't designed to set things on fire, it's designed as a pressure wave explosive device. I agree with Plasmarobo here, tar already accomlishes what is described.

the "thermo" part suggests heat is not an unwanted side effect and I already mentioned my logic for not insisting on having a blast AoE , think of my using it as a means to get the discussion off the keyword "tar" which apparently triggers unpleasant memories. :)

The tool "tar", which has nothing to do with the weapon I'm fantasising about,  requires that you fly close enough to a ship so that it cannot avoid your cloud, and can be tricky to use on a ship that doesn't have centerline guns like the junker. It is also the antithesis of "remote", it is literally "in your face".

I think it's worth noting that the mines currently in the game have a good chance to ignite a 5 stack of fire on everything in its AoE. Do we really need a second mine that's only good at setting fires?

You have a chance to ignite stuff with incendiary ammo, and you have a flamer. Yes I want to drop flaming booby traps around the map.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:22:17 pm by Calico Jack »