Author Topic: How long will GoI last? What happend to May players?  (Read 59056 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: How long will GoI last? What happend to May players?
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2013, 06:07:02 am »
always try to discredit them by saying they play COD, like that is the universal go-to game to trash someone on web lol

For me it's Counter Strike and its brand of l33t0 grandstanding. I actually have CS but never play it in multiiplayer cos the teaming sucks so bad (ooh ooh n00bs lets farm them to buff our K/D ratios). The fact GoIOL is the daimetric opposite to CS is one of its main attractions for me.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2013, 12:15:26 pm »
I don't think it is sour grapes, but you can't convince someone to play a cooperative game if they don't want to be cooperative.  This game tests that cooperation more than any game I can think of.

Not cooperative = selfish.  Selfish = COD

Any questions?

I think people get "butt hurt" because people complain about things that are inherent to the game.  And that the game should be bent towards them instead of them bending to the game.  If you can't bend, don't play GOIO.  Honestly, anyone who has played GOIO for any amount of time knows that unbending players -- those that refuse to learn or listen, etc -- are no fun to play with and bring the game down.  GOIO is better off without those players.  Most games are better off without those players. 

Offline Schpam

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:38 pm »
The game play experience is volatile. It means that as an individual it's hard to have a stable and predictably good experience each time I play.  As a new player, I'm by myself and have no established relationships with other GoIO players to form my own sense of community. So I roam from game to game and what I've learned is that my patience has grown short.

GoIO is the kind of game that works best when everything comes together as it was envisioned and designed too.  The players are knowledgeable; the players are willing to participate, interact and communicate with each other; the teams are balanced and not stacked; the teams are setup with ships and crew that well configured for the type of strategy to be employed.

Most important is that all the players are reserved to playing together, as a group, which means making concessions in the interest of everyone having a good game. That means playing certain ships, certain roles and on certain teams that may not be a players primary choice.

In an open and public environment where strangers come and go, each with their own motivations for playing, having all of the above elements come together in an optimal way is rather unlikely.  That goes for any publicly played multiplayer game, not just GoIO.

When it does happen, it's marvelous. In any game.

What I have found in the few games that I've been playing is that the favorable conditions are less likely to appear and instead I've been subjected to repeated games of failure.  The majority of games ending in Blow-Outs 5-0, 7-1, 600-0 and so on.  To me, that's not fun... not fun to be on the losing end and certainly not very interesting to be on the winning team either. It's not as exciting when there is no sense of a competitive contest.  I've been on frustrating crews of disjointed players.  Pilots, a very crucial role, who can't fly their own ship, steer into dust storms, crash it into terrain obstacles and just drive straight into overwhelming numbers. Gunners who are never on a gun, never on the right gun, or are spending more time fixing the balloon then shooting the enemy killing it. Engineers who haven't figured out that repeatedly hitting the hull with a spanner doesn't fix it faster, it only disrupts the guy with the mallet trying to save the ship.

I've played several games where the ship dies quickly several times in a row and then the pilot quits the game, followed by another player until it's just me and the AI. 

I've sat in the lobby waiting to start a game only to see the teams become stacked, Captains who refuse to ready up forcing everyone to wait for minutes on end, captains ready up and then ready down to reset the clock.  Meanwhile I'm sitting at my desk drumming my fingers waiting to play and listening to some guy drone on like the voice coms are amateur night at the improv. Ironically that same guy then speaks not a word while actually playing the game, except to complain about how much player "X" sucks at doing job "Y".

There is only so much a player will tolerate before rendering judgment on the game as a waste of time and souring their impression of it. We then quit and go play other games that provide a more consistent play experience.... and yes, sometimes that means playing another game of Call of Duty, because as tired and played out as it is, at least it's consistent.

If I didn't really want to play GoIO and make it fun, I think I too would be gone already, having played less then 40 games. I'd be back playing World of Tanks, WarThunder, Planetside 2, or one of the dozens of games I bought on Steam Sale and have yet to play.

And I think many players are in the same "boat" as me, feeling the same way... except not nearly as tolerant and motivated to hang in there to make it work for them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:36:28 pm by Schpam »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »
Schpam,

You certainly bring up a lot of good points.  It's definitely frustrating to be consistently on the losing team and often it's not really due solely on bad piloting but on bad captaining and organisation as a whole; where someone is not effectively coordinating crew and teammates within the context of a deeper understanding of strategy.  Also as you point out it is made so much worse when those "captains" themselves leave in the middle of the game.  Something I've been seeing happen so much more over the last few months which I fear may soon start to be an accepted norm.  Pilots leaving mid battle ruin the match for everyone.

The reliance on other players skill and organization towards your own success is single handedly this games greatest strength and weakness and I think that we all play for that moment when it works.  Unfortunately this leaves little recourse to your main grievance other than playing in an environment when everyone knows what they are doing. 

This is something that Muse is slowly but surely making strides towards.  As the game and community increase their ability to educate and teach newer players we should be seeing an increase in the base level of skill of our newer players hopefully improving the gameplay experience for everyone.

In the meantime I highly encourage you to join one of the currently existing clans as right now it is one of the most reliable ways to play with a group of individuals who understand the game and are predisposed to cooperation.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2013, 01:20:42 pm »
Schpam
I appreciate what you're saying, I was forced to take a break of a few months  and coming back I had to start from scratch as far as finding crew mate was concerned. However you'll find that if you play frequently you'll start to see the same names. Something I do is add players to my friends list if I've had a good match with them so they'll stand out in the lobbies.

When I have a run of bad matches in one role I'll switch, it can be quite interesting to see how someone else pilots or guns or engies and you can learn a lot about the game too. While levels are not exact indicators of ability they are fairly consistent with the amount of knowledge a player will have in the game and you can base your choices around that.

Look for the list of CAs in the "Social" area and ask to crew with them if you feel you're stuck.

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2013, 03:54:19 pm »
Schpam  I know it may seem tough that you are getting crap guys on your ship, but the fact you are willing to continue playing this game even with those factors is what makes a good player on this game. We stick around and we see these idiots everyday. You will find that the actual guys who are worth playing with are actually really good and give a damn about what you have to say (excluding me). Find a group of guys you get on with and play with them it may make the teams stacked but that's just how this game goes. Also hang in there because this game is actually one of the best out there, you just got to get over the crap players.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 01:18:25 am »
 Schpam

I know what it's like to be on a team or on a ship where either the crews, captains, or sometimes both are unable to work correctly with each other, everyone doing their own thing and not coordinating towards making the ship and or team effective. We've all been there at least a few times, where you're losing game after game and you aren't having fun doing it. As previously mentioned you'll more then likely see many recurring names over and over again, If you find having a good time with them you should probably add them and join games with them from time to time, having a good group of players that you can count on to make the game fun and exciting even if you're losing horribly, some people from what I've heard over my time here have bought the multi packs and played with friends they already have, sometimes they quit and sometimes they don't.

I think you should keep trying to find people you enjoy playing with, even if you think all of what I've just typed out is a load of incomprehensible nonsense, the point still stands that attempting to build connections with your fellow players would be best, not everyone is willing be a team player, and not everyone is willing to learn from their mistakes to be a better player, and sometimes the teams are stacked, sometimes that's just how things go in a match and it isn't the greatest thing ever, but sometimes you get people you work well with, even if you don't win you've at least found someone bearable to crew with, it may take time but those people are out there as long you're willing try.

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2013, 05:30:00 am »
Hey there, Schpam.

What you're experiencing is something I like to call the natural progression of new GoIO players. Look it up in the pit to see where you're falling along that line, if you're so inclined.

First thing: This is a team based game, and it gets very competitive. If you're just joining in (you're level 1-3-1, so I have to assume you haven't been playing for several months) you might find that many of the other players around you are higher ranking than you are. You might also find that some of those higher ranking people like to fly together. This is something that will happen, and not something that will go away. There are, however, mitigating factors to what you call the "volatile" experience that you're getting out of your online play.

The first of those would be PRACTICE. I can't count the number of new players I've seen quickjoin a ship without touching the sandbox. Spend some time there, learn your weaponry.

The second would be the COMMUNITY. Contrary to what every new player ever likes to swear on his or her second week in GoIO, the community is incredibly receptive to new players in that on the job training routinely occurs, and there are even TRAINING DAYS set up for players in different regions, all around the world. Look for one of these training days, learn your job, and you'll find you aren't killed quite so quickly.

Another avenue you might find some benefit from would be the Cogs streams that occur almost every week, barring the occasional extra tournament. These streams will allow you to see what a functional ship looks like, and you might even be able to pick up on the individual actions taken by team members.

Unfortunately, you're not going to see some major change in the game that allows it to be fun for you. You're going to need to learn your role, find like minded players that are learning their own role, and roll with that crew. When you know what you're doing, and you start pulling in the wins, go be the change you want to see in the community.

That being said, I'm telling you...the community here is far more accepting of newbies crying "foul" than any other community I've ever heard of.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2013, 06:10:11 am »
btw Schpam I saw you in the lobby of one of the matches I was in last night, just before some weird crash that seemed to fling everyone offline. if you see me online say Hi, I'll say hi right back at you.

To further what Charon was saying about training.

I usually try to organised a focussed training session when I'm on and yesterday I ran a thing on crewing a pyra, with 2 level 1s and a level 2, the level2 was all "ahh I know how to play and I'm a gunner" yet he was the one who couldn't fix his gun when it went down because he only had a fire extinguisher, and didn't have the correct ammo for the gun he was supposed to be using, or where he was supposed to be firing and why. This is because he couldn't be bothered listening to what I was saying "because I know how to play".

I'm not suggesting this is your case, but that I'm guessing this is the kind of player Charon has in mind, they are the bane of captains and crew alike, and coincidentally the only kind of new player people object to crewing with :D

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:44 pm »

That being said, I'm telling you...the community here is far more accepting of newbies crying "foul" than any other community I've ever heard of.

This is true. Often times they'll side with new players rather than vets. Which is also how the community could eventually fall apart.  Been around long enough to spot that as long as you are a new player you are treated like a king but the moment the community gets used to you being around, you'll be demonized when you try to speak up about some of the stupidity.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:05:31 pm by Gilder de Unfettered »

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2013, 11:48:06 pm »

This is true. Often times they'll side with new players rather than vets. Which is also how the community could eventually fall apart.  Been around long enough to spot that as long as you are a new player you are treated like a king but the moment the community gets used to you being around, you'll be demonized when you try to speak up about some of the stupidity.
Wow, way to take a positive statement and twist it to something completely different. There's actually zero amount of evidence to support something like this other than "because I said so". This just reeks about being bitter that some do not agree with stuff you say.