Author Topic: Defensive Weapon Type?  (Read 15326 times)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive Weapon Type?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:11 pm »
I honestly dont see defensive weaponry being a thing, the term itself is a bit contradictory. 

the tech level in universe does not allow for automated targeting so intercepting enemy ordinance would be next to impossible, and you would be better off using what ever you are trying to kill the enemy shots with to try to shoot the enemy gun out or kill them.

shield generators in weapon slots would make ships with more mounts way more powerful than ships with fewer.

i think defensive equipment should stay where it is, in the pilot tools.  bringing along extra equipment or installing special equipment on your ship, which is what the pilot tools represent, makes way more sense than using your gun slots for it.

but all that said, the best way to defend your ship will always be to end the threat. either through breaking enemy components or killing them outright.  defensive gun mounted stuff would be cool from a design perspective. However, if you put yourself on that ship. you are fighting for your life AND for land and resources, the only way you can survive in the world is if the other guy ,who is after the exact same thing you are, is no longer there. turtleing up doesnt solve your problem and leaves your shipmates still in danger.

now, of course, a ship in a different mission type could use these very successfully, like transport (particularly of valuable goods or persons) or some such other non-combat role would be much better served with enhanced durability. But these roles do not exist in skirmish mode.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 05:55:12 pm »
In simplest terms:  Is a sword and shield better than 2 swords?  I understand that this is not a perfect comparison, but I think it has merit.  Also, in the OP I stated that the mines could be used defensively.  To add to that, the Harpoon does do some damage, but its role is really other than dealing damage.  Now I realize harpoon play is few and far between, but it is still there. 

I will concede that defensive abilities, at present, are on the pilot and maybe should stay there.

Gives me an idea for a new topic.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 06:27:22 pm »
Mines are very defensive. I've used them to great success on Scrap setting up minefields around the point.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 07:01:24 pm »
Mines are very defensive. I've used them to great success on Scrap setting up minefields around the point.
Yes those 5 mine launcher mobiles do make nice walls :)

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 07:30:02 pm »

but they are not defensive in the same terms as a smoke launcher or a shield generator.  they are defensive in the sense that you use them to maintain your advantage you currently have in the battle. you are not using them to protect your ship from damage, you are using them to damage enemy ships if them come in your area. that is an act of setting up an advantage in future direct combat by damaging the enemy ship, not defending but preparing.

you are using your shield to strike the enemy. in that case a sword and shield is the same as two swords.  defense is about avoiding a hit or surviving a hit taken.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:44:21 pm by JaegerDelta »

Offline Prof. Giles Percy

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:36 pm »
Perhaps, in replacement of gun slots you could place fire hydrants, or engine booster.  Making gun mounts not just gun mounts, but ship synergies as well.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »
I vote we just make an Enterprise shaped airship so captains can yell...SHIELDS UP!!! Or FIRE PHOTON TORPEDOES!!

Or for you TNG weirdos..."ENGAGE!!" or "MAKE IT SO!"

Offline Andrej Peribosky

• Salutes: 4
    • [MAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 09:29:21 pm »
The game currently has a "kill" (piercing / explosive) role and a "support" role (everything else)

It would great to also have a defensive and an healing role.

The Tesla cannon looks perfect as a defensive tool.
You need to aim it at the general direction of incoming fire or it doesnt work (maybe it can create a 45degree magnetic shield of sorts).
It maybe should damage the engines, and if you try to fire more than one together, the magnetic field become unstable and both guns break.

Another defensive gun could be "air expansion device". You point it at an allied ship, or even at empty air. When it hits a friendly ship, or you use secondary fire, it creates a blast of air that moves every ship in range away from the blast point, allowing for disengage, but dealing no damage.
This could lead to a lot of grief, however.

The "healing" role would have a "nanobot projector" gun that repairs allied hull armor damage, enabling them to tank better.
Maybe an invulnerability gun. You shoot it at a friendly ship, the component hit becomes immune to all damage for 5 seconds.

The support role could be expanded by having "support structure" guns that don't fire, but each of those mounted will improve one aspect of the ship. For example, you could sacrifice one side of the galleon in order to put two "hull armor amplifiers" that each pasively give +15% maximum hull armor

For additional fun, remove the ability to see enemy loadouts at character selection.
You never know who is the tank in the game until you try to shoot at him.
The meta would change, as each ship would need to try and stay away from the tank who will to absorb your fire, while trying to kill the damage dealer without getting disabled by the disabler, or any other similar combination of advanced tactics.

Yeah, maybe i played too much eve online
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:34:27 pm by Andrej Peribosky »