Author Topic: Heavy Flamethrower idea of sorts, I guess.  (Read 13320 times)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Heavy Flamethrower idea of sorts, I guess.
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
So I know the subject of a heavy flamethrower has been brought up many times. Though has been massively ignored due to how fire used to work and how easy it was to extinguish, I've also been wondering how such a gun would work? would it just be a bigger flamer and what would be the difference?..

So I thought that if that was to be implemented it should be a liquid based flamethrower, that actually has some range, firing fiery projectiles in an arc towards enemy ships, that do fire damage and explode on contact, causing fire to spread around. It should have 2 barrels of course for the coolness factor.

Or maybe it could be a incediary grenade launcher? Not sure.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Flamethrower idea of sorts, I guess.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »
Maybe something like napalm? A gun with a dragon's head (think something like the hwacha but only one and larger) with which you lob the projectiles over. On contact they explode with a mass aoe of fire.

I don't think a heavy gun could be a flamethrower in the traditional sense. Not unless is was many tied together and that just looks silly to me...

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:03:06 pm »
When I thought of a heavy version of a flamer I thought no gas first of all, so I imagined it would be like the old GreekFire, so liquid based with 2 giant gasoline tanks or whatever and double barrels so it can project the liquid at longer ranges.

something Napalm based sounds neat as well.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 05:43:05 pm »
Yeah, so like it would fire huge balloon type things full of Greek Fire type stuff.  No direct damage, just explodes in a huge AOE that sets all kinds of stuff on fire. 

I can dig that.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »
Yeah, so like it would fire huge balloon type things full of Greek Fire type stuff.  No direct damage, just explodes in a huge AOE that sets all kinds of stuff on fire. 

I can dig that.

Well the weapon has to have some sort of direct and AoE damage, else how does the hit get registered? :P

it would probably have fire direct and fire AoE, not much, 5 direct and AoE would be a pretty decent number considering it wouldn't have a giant clip like the regular flamer. The projectiles would arc, leaving a fire trail behind them and would 'explode' on contact with the enemy ship lighting stuff on fire in a small radius around the hit.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 06:21:17 pm »
It would need to be better than just any heavy gun loaded with incendiary though. I guess a chance of 3-4 stacks?

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:24:31 pm »
It would need to be better than just any heavy gun loaded with incendiary though. I guess a chance of 3-4 stacks?

A pretty wide explosion radius and high stacks chance pretty much yeah, don't forget that the direct damage is pretty effective against both balloon and armor too! of course its not much, but still does damage.

But honestly, incediary on LJ and HF is mostly used when you get realy close and they need to adjust their range, while this weapon should be able to reach them from further out that range and apply continuous pressure. ( I think its 240 meters for the HF and 340 for the LJ, if this gun has around 500 meters range it should be fine. Hellhound has 450 meters range and at that range the spread is too wide for effective use of incediary)

The Heavy carronade is probably unmatched in terms of ignition chances up close with incediary, but you get the extra range on this flamer.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:28:50 pm by Echoez »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »
Yea I still expect this thing's range to be that of a heavy carronade, so it better pack some kind of heat.

(Oh man, that really was bad...)

Offline Andrej Peribosky

• Salutes: 4
    • [MAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 09:17:46 pm »
Fireball lobber!
It shoots balls of fire, very fast, big magazine, huge arc, each ball explodes in 8 different balls after 3 seconds.
Guns of Lag! But funny!

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »
Maybe something like this?

As you can see, (kinda) the Flamethrower is shooting a liquid arc.

The arc would be effected by gravity (maybe like the mortars) so that could limit the range, but still give it some massive distance in the right hands.

The stream could travel pretty slowly, so it wouldn't be OP.

I dunno, I just kinda like the idea of a gunner screaming "OH GOD. HEAVY FLAMER. GO UP GO UP UP UP UP UP UP." As a stream of death approaches him.

But, as a Cake, I support a heavy flamer in any shape or form.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 09:50:53 pm »
My idea was that it could basically work like the Flamethrower in Killing Floor, which shoots arc'ed projectiles of fire with a trail and smoke of course. Would be pretty cool and spectacular to see.

Offline bullethose

• Salutes: 2
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:25:08 am »
ah something that shoots fire balls could have the mine physics associated with it

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:48 am »
But, as a Cake, I support a heavy flamer in any shape or form.
Amen

You could have some sort of conical effect like the Carronade. A two second charge then the weapon 'coughs' a blast of flames. I could imagine each projectile (perhaps six balls of flame) has the downward arc of a mortar, giving it short range capabilities but allowing for longer range shots that would need to be aimed up and would spread father apart the further it went.

Offline Echoez

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 11:12:14 am »

I tried.

I don't have my tablet available at the moment.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 01:04:26 pm »