Author Topic: Gatling Gun impact sound effects  (Read 6980 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Gatling Gun impact sound effects
« on: May 24, 2013, 12:08:46 pm »
There should be some audio indication that your ship is currently taking hits from a Gatling Gun. It doesn't have to sound off for every bullet, but it would be nice to have some audio queue, like the sound of a ricocheting bullet, when the first bullet hits.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Gatling Gun impact sound effects
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:18:50 pm »
Or a Wilhelm scream!

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
you hear a quack if your hull armor is destroyed.
did someone notice this?

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:04:26 pm »
I don't like necroing a topic, but it didn't make much sense to make a new one, either.

I've noticed recently that I use audio cues a lot when I'm on repair duty (which is most of the time). I hear crunchy grinding, I know I need to look at the engines. I hear carronades, I know I should keep an eye on the balloon. That sort of thing. I really like the new sound effect for breaking armor because it's so noticeable.

But the sound from taking gatling fire is so quiet and subtle that it doesn't immediately register in my brain, especially when there's other noise filling the air. It doesn't help that it sounds somewhat similar to the engines grinding from pilot tools. Taking hits from a gat is a serious threat, and making the sound effect more distinctive so I can be more aware when we're under that threat would be very much appreciated.

A high-ish pitched, distinctive plinking/whistling/ricocheting, as well as a kind of woody crunchiness (kinda similar to the armor shattering sound, but quieter and shorter) when it hits armor, I think would fit nicely.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:28 pm »
To be honest if you are on repair duty if you are not on hull watching it (and thus seing your armor being shedded) you are repairing something else assuming that somebody is either shooting at you with gat or waiting to reload his gat, so he can shoot at your armor ^^

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:23:36 pm »
Well, that's not entirely true. Sometimes if you have nothing to repair, you want to be shooting a gun. Trifectas are pretty nifty. When you're on a gun, it can be hard to notice if/when the armor starts taking gat fire. A sound that lets me know to jump off the gun and start whacking the hull would be nice.

Another scenario, on a pyra, maybe the armor is taking barely any damage, but the engines are getting pounded (either due to pilot tools or incoming fire). You run away from the hull for a second to get the engines and don't notice that a gat has started hitting you. Ideally, you would run back to the hull to give it a whack before running back to the engines, but I sometimes don't notice the gat fire until the armor is lower than where it should be.

It's those sorts of situations where an audio cue would be useful. Audio cues are something that can grab your attention when you're focused on something else, to let you know you should alter your priorities.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:25:30 pm by naufrago »