Author Topic: "The Broadside Anchor"  (Read 14721 times)

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
"The Broadside Anchor"
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
OK I was just looking around the Guns of Icarus Online webpage and found these three newspaper clippings. I'm just wondering if there were anymore of these newspapers that you, at Muse, made. Also What happen to it that it stopped "circulation".

The news papers can be found here
http://gunsoficarus.com/world/news/

(I didn't know where to put this so I'll put this thread here)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "The Broadside Anchor"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:26 pm »
Yeah, those were an old newsletter of sorts.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 01:12:08 am »
Any way to start it up again? Or maybe just have some fun with it?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:54 am »
Well, what about starting a thread in the Cantina, something interactive that the community can get involved in.
Choose a location from among the various towns and cities and make a Weekly "Press".  You could put an RP spin on particular events like the bounty challenges, the stream video matches or Cog leagues!

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:33:20 am »
Oh, you bringing up those newspapers really brings me back. Sadly, those you got there are the only ones. If I remember correctly, Jess made them. Though I can guess that other things got more important.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:42:19 pm »
Well, what about starting a thread in the Cantina, something interactive that the community can get involved in.
Choose a location from among the various towns and cities and make a Weekly "Press".  You could put an RP spin on particular events like the bounty challenges, the stream video matches or Cog leagues!

I like where this is going. we could do a radio broadcast or some grainy video of some matches.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 03:08:40 pm »
Yeah, I really miss doing the Broadside Anchor and would love to make some more. But you're right, after launch I just got too busy to keep it up. :P

The idea was indeed to put an RP spin on current events in game, and while I don't have the time to write and produce whole issues any more, it might be possible to assemble new issues with player submissions. A Cantina thread to generate content would be a great start. (It would also be awesome to see an entirely new community paper/news broadcast get off the ground...but I wouldn't be averse to bringing the Anchor back in some form!)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 03:14:27 pm »
I was actually planning to try and make a fan-made issue of it, some months ago. But I never got around to do it.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:59 pm »
Hey all,

Im prepared to help out on this and if we decide to broadcast it will commit my resources :D
Sounds like a cool project.

Cheers,

Qwerty

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 12:45:01 am »
I'll throw my typing fingers into it as well.  I do believe the cogs will present us with a good first rp article.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:10:46 am »
I love the RP idea for the newspaper. But i think instead of the Broadside only, make a thread where anyone can make there own newspaper (ex. Kian Khronicle or the Paritus Paper) and post their own news. Also that radio broadcasting or streaming, i imagien it to be like those old 40's boxing ring announcers or the video has some 60mm(or what size they use) camera filter

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:41 am »
I love the RP idea for the newspaper. But i think instead of the Broadside only, make a thread where anyone can make there own newspaper (ex. Kian Khronicle or the Paritus Paper) and post their own news. Also that radio broadcasting or streaming, i imagien it to be like those old 40's boxing ring announcers or the video has some 60mm(or what size they use) camera filter

yep that's what I was thinking exactly :)

*Edit* the radio thing that is

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:07 am »
Thought you might enjoy this. When I went searching for old newspaper reference, this was one of the main inspirations for the Broadside Anchor: http://archive.org/stream/sheetanchor00bost#page/n5/mode/2up