Author Topic: The Hellfish, or PIKABOO! Ideas and questions about the Hellhound Goldfish  (Read 17857 times)

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
I'm having trouble understanding the joke here...
I don't think there was a joke...

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Also, a close-quarters Loch round from the Carronade can one-hit kill the permahull of just about every ship. Well, every ship besides the Goldfish and the Galleon. But ONLY if preformed just right.

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is either but that's not even close to true.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Also, a close-quarters Loch round from the Carronade can one-hit kill the permahull of just about every ship. Well, every ship besides the Goldfish and the Galleon. But ONLY if preformed just right.

I think he meant the Heavy Flak. But this is the wrong thread for it.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!

Oh God. I feel like such a moron. I was thinking Heavy Flak. Come to think of it, I've only done the Loch kill on a Junker (which has low permahull to begin with) and a Pyri that just got out of a fight with another ship. I didn't notice any VISIBLE damage, that doesn't mean it was at full.

I apologize for any confusion and will try to stay away from giving suggestions while juggling a bunch of other things. (Or at least double-check what I said.)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Nah, don't worry about it.

As a last note about the flak, loch flak one-hits the permahull on everything other than Goldfish and Galleon, and it also catches the Goldfish if it's buffed.

Now, back on topic.

Offline Captain Blueberry

• Salutes: 1
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
Wooow, I didn't expect that many replies. Thanks so far for your replies, they were very informative.

I am trying to summarize the info here:

Shooting on a component will damage the hull, if the component is destroyed. Thanks, I didn't know that. I assume you still get the damage penalty for the hull, right? Shooting the destroyed balloon doesn't give you the damage multiplier of the flechette type, it is the same multiplier as if you would have shot the hull directly. But the balloon is a bigger target, more pellets will hit the enemy. This is why you should keep shooting the balloon, right?

Layout:
Portside Gun (Support): Artemis or Flaregun are two possibilities depending on the enemy and the map. Although I didn't like the Flaregun much on the Goldfish even on close maps like Labyrinth. Shooting Flares in the cloud also destroys your cover and I feel cover is something the Goldfish needs more than other ships like the Junker. So if I take a flaregun with me, Tar seems an essential pilot tool. This gun will be manned by the top engineeer who is also buffing.

Starboard Gun (Killer): Mortar or Flak. Banshee is out because it doesn't do as much damage to the permahull as the other two and incinerating can be better done with the Hellhound. Am I right in assuming that the mortar is a better kill weapon on the Blenderfish, if my main engi is a good shot?

Team:
Gunner: Heavy Clip as general ammo for long and close range. Lochnagar for increasing DPS on both LONG AND CLOSE range, right? Incindiary for inducing panick if I am going in for the kill. As repair tool he should take a spanner with him to rebuild the gun asap.

Top Engineer: Mallet, Spanner, Buff or Wrench, Buff, Fire Ext if I am scared of fires. If he mans the Artemis, he should take burst rounds with him.

Main Engineer: Standard tools plus Greased rounds for Mortar or Charged for Flak.

Tactics:
Alright, so far I thought of the Hellhound as mainly a balloon destroying weapon, I haven't tried destroying components with it yet, but apparantly this works as well.

If I want to disable a ship that has it's back turned to me, I tell the gunner to shoot a volley of heavy clip on the engines and the second volley of lochnagar on the balloon, since it generally has a huge amount of health. If I am lucky, I already popped the balloon and can either go for the kill or disable a second ship. Is this sort of what you wanted to tell me?

If I want to kill a disabled ship, I sent the buff engi to the front to help with the gun repairs, tell the gunner to shoot one volley of incindiary and then as much Lochnagar as possible without breaking the gun. If he stripped the enemy ship of it's armor, I slightly turn so the main engi can shoot a volley of Mortar/Flak for the final blow. Rinse and repeat.

As a close range escape, I tried diving below the enemy ship a few times and it worked out great. Afterwards I am in a great position to rise up behind them and wreak havoc.

I start to think that piloting a successful Blenderfish is mainly bound to how well the pilot can communicate with his team, more so than on other ships. On a standard Gat/Flak Junker, you mainly have to man the gun and shoot at what the pilot tells you to shoot. But here you have to shoot the right target at the right component with the right ammo and preferably buffed.

After all your replies, I feel like I can almost write a Blenderfish guide ;) thanks a lot! I really enjoy the friendly GOIO Community.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Just don't expect a fast kill if your ally isn't co-ordinating with you, explosive starboard gun might help a bit, but still, pointing that to your enemy is much more of a hassle that just keeping your main gun (and most of your DPS) on them all the time while a good ally makes short work of their permahull.

Also keep in mind that popping their balloon is not always the optimal option, sometimes you want to leave that balloon alone and focus on the armor/components. Popping their balloon sometimes means your ally might lose gun arcs and might actually be detrimental to your efforts to kill your enemy.

Oh and, you're welcome.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
If you take a light flak on your starboard you'll likely want different ammo types depending on what ships you're fighting against.

Heavy I think is still the better all purpose due to it's accuracy and is the preferred against mobulas, squids and junkers.

Burst is best for the extra shot (two shots more than heavy) and is likely your better choice against the other ships.

Though at the range blenderfish fight at, Mortar in most cases is still your best option in my opinion though getting it in arc at the right time is a bit of an art.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
If you're taking explosive side guns, take pheonix to turn faster.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 04:44:15 pm by Keon »