Author Topic: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues  (Read 43603 times)

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
Re: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 08:49:39 am »
How about medium piercing weapons?

The horror! This would make the galleon far too powerful. Anyhow that's as far as I'll go there, it's a buried topic laying somewhere around here...

I do agree there needs to be more medium weapons, but as it stands medium weapons seem almost equally used besides the flak. I would blame that on its lack of secondary utility because we all know it's a strong finisher, but without utility and a projectile I'm sure I can outrun on land, it lacks that punch to bring it to the same level as the other heavy guns.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:51 am »
Well since it has a high % chance to set something on fire too, it did get marginally more useful in that regard with all the fire cooldowns. It has it's place.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 09:17:58 am »
Interesting it has a high ignite chance.. I've never noticed it. Then again I usually do not waste ammunition before a strip or suspected strip - as is typical practice of an explosive primary weapon. I'll play with that in some tests I do doubt it to be anything spectacular like the carronade with incendiary and warranting shooting before the hull is dropped.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:44 am »
True, and I'm not certain on the stacks it actually invokes. All explosive damage has a % to ignite a fire on its own, based on damage.

Timing a heavy flak is kinda funny too. It's such a sluggish projectile that you have to pray you didn't screw up.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:50 am »
Does anyone know what the approximate range of a mine's proximity trigger or AoE? It seems you don't have to touch one for it to go off, but still be pretty much in arms reach. As for the AoE, how many ship lengths can one mine hit? Can one mine disable two ships? How about health? How much damage can one take before exploding?

The mine really looks pretty fair as is to be honest. MAYBE.... It could have a bigger trigger radius.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:56 am »
Not sure about trigger radius or health, but the AoE is 60. It's large enough to hit more than one ship.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 05:05:48 pm »
The mine really looks pretty fair as is to be honest. MAYBE.... It could have a bigger trigger radius.

Turn them into proximity mines!  Allow them to be to detonated by ships even further away than currently.  This gives them the area denial they've always been meant to have.  Distance to detonation can be tweaked into balance.

I know right!

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:42 pm »

Turn them into proximity mines!  Allow them to be to detonated by ships even further away than currently.  This gives them the area denial they've always been meant to have.  Distance to detonation can be tweaked into balance.

I know right!

The effects of the impact damage that is dealt should also lessen the further away the ship that is being hit is.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:34 pm »
I think the light flak needs some attention. Before there was a good mix between flaks and mortars as the killing weapon with benefits to both. I fear that with the heavy change (I refuse to call it a nerf) the flak now really loses out to the mortar. It is simply too inaccurate with anything other than heavy.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2013, 04:08:42 pm »
There might finally be an argument to reducing the jitter for the light flak (or instead maybe increasing speed and range)... but then again doing it too much would make flak op due to burst rounds and such.

It seems that anytime there is even the smallest change; either the flak or the mortar will become the superior weapon and hence, meta; which almost seems inevitable due to how similar those guns are to each other in function. 

No one said gun balance was easy.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
I think the light flak needs some attention. Before there was a good mix between flaks and mortars as the killing weapon with benefits to both. I fear that with the heavy change (I refuse to call it a nerf) the flak now really loses out to the mortar. It is simply too inaccurate with anything other than heavy.

Javrak may have something to say about that.  He has been hitting with burst and a couple other ammo types on flak from a good distance with more than respectable accuracy.

(And Sammy, I agree, this is not a nerf.  I don't see how making a gat or flak or any other gun with a spread into something laser precise can be considered a nerf.)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2013, 06:12:46 pm »
It is funny watching people miss with lasers though. It's so accurate, you become less accurate, if it where.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:06 pm »
It's kinda funny, since the tracers of the gat don't seem to correlate with where the bullets are, it can be hard to gauge where the bullets are actually going when turning, rising, falling, etc. When the gat with heavy had a bit of spread, it made figuring out where you're shooting a bit easier.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:52 am »
Burst ammo, what cannot they do with the current meta solutions? My lil' baby waby projectiles, go make daddy proud!

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »
Can some one explain the logic of making the mines/mine balloons take more than one hit to detonate? Trying to clear an old mine field with direct fire seems like it is more difficult than it should be. Was there a problem with people air bursting mines near enemy ships being OP?