Author Topic: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues  (Read 43608 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues
« on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:41 pm »
Post your comments regarding guns and gun skills balance here for v1.3

For theory crafting and specific weapon discussion, please move it to its own thread.  Let's try to keep this to issues tracking.

Change log:

http://gunsoficarus.com/community/blog/version-1-3-is-here/

Thanks

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:38:19 pm »
So currently the mine launcher seems powerful but it really isn't used much and is easily avoided even by new pilots limiting its utility and usefulness on the battlefield.

So how to make it the terrorizing force on the battlefield it was always intended to be?

Turn them into proximity mines!  Allow them to be to detonated by ships even further away than currently.  This gives them the area denial they've always been meant to have.  Distance to detonation can be tweaked into balance.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:09:20 pm »
Agreed.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »
Since mines have been out for like a whole what, two days, I suggest we wait a bit and see what uses people find for it before making changes ;)

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:12:31 am »
Since mines have been out for like a whole what, two days, I suggest we wait a bit and see what uses people find for it before making changes ;)

This...
Honestly I'm afraid that if mines get buffed then certain maps will become almost unplayable, like Canyons or Paritan Rumble. Or what about any CP map? I know you can shoot mines down, but still...

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:06 am »
Don't worry, I'm not going to make any changes any time soon.

Got bigger fish to fry.  Ducks to sear?  Cakes to ice?

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
You can use them as proximity mines, kinda.  You can shoot them and blow them up.  One mine explosion is enough to take out another mine, and another.  Takes two shots with a merc to take one out. 

Or you can launch your 6th mine, which blows up the first and can chain from there.

Mines will take some creativity and coordination.  The friendly fire makes me very hesitant to even try and take mines usually, and I can't find a place for it on my junker.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:39 pm »
Any buff to Mines will make Zen a happy camper. That said, I think they're currently just right. It's easy to avoid or destroy them, but if you do hit one, it can be almost catastrophic. Just wait, one of these days someone (hopefully me >:D) will find a strategy with mines that'll have everyone shouting "Nerf it!"

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:33:17 am »
I've been using mines fairly well for the way I play, which is usually in pugs and very heavy in terrain use and ambush setting.
Essentially I've been using the Mines the same way I use Tar, not always to do damage, but to prevent a ship from going in a direction I don't want them to go so I can get into a better position.
The problem I've had with the Mine launcher is coordinating it soon enough with my Gunners.  A good pilot as a gunner would likely know where to put a mine for maximum affect, a great Gunner would likely know as well but a decent gunner isn't as quick with figuring out how to best use an ambush weapon that requires some fore thought.
Though I've had some luck with telling a gunner to just spread a field of mines and I try to work it into the dance of death as we go.

I'm still of the opinion piercing does to much damage to quickly to Armor.  I like the utility we have with the different guns and various play styles that can be achieved, but I feel strongly that more diversity could be found, more use for various ammos, if the over-all effectiveness of piercing was brought down so breaking a ships Armor is more a result of overwhelming the teams Engineers with good positioning, timing and applied spread grouped weapons from multiple ships, rather than a single ship with a good dual or trifecta combination that requires piercing as part of its damage equation.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 02:57:47 am »
I'm still of the opinion piercing does to much damage to quickly to Armor.  I like the utility we have with the different guns and various play styles that can be achieved, but I feel strongly that more diversity could be found, more use for various ammos, if the over-all effectiveness of piercing was brought down so breaking a ships Armor is more a result of overwhelming the teams Engineers with good positioning, timing and applied spread grouped weapons from multiple ships, rather than a single ship with a good dual or trifecta combination that requires piercing as part of its damage equation.

I agree with this ^

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 06:15:07 am »

I agree with this ^

I second this, there are so many interesting loadouts that get ignored completely due to piercing's effectiveness.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:24:57 am »
I agree with the above.

Shave a bit off the Piercing damage modifier vs. Armour, down to 1.2 or 1.3 (from 1.5)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 04:42:48 pm »
For the record, we moved towards specialization due to feedback received from beta and early in the retail release of the game.  It was more normalized in the past.

Queso and some other asked to test normalized damage modifiers again on Dev App.  For testers, the normalized data has been set so you can go play around in there.

EVERY damage modifier has been normalized, not just piercing.  Engagement times will be MUCH longer.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »
For the record, we moved towards specialization due to feedback received from beta and early in the retail release of the game.  It was more normalized in the past.

Queso and some other asked to test normalized damage modifiers again on Dev App.  For testers, the normalized data has been set so you can go play around in there.

EVERY damage modifier has been normalized, not just piercing.  Engagement times will be MUCH longer.

Normalized as in how? I honestly do not understand, excuse me for the incovenience ^^'

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:24 pm »
They're less specialized. So for example with piercing they'd reduce its effectiveness against armour and increase its effectiveness against hull. The idea is to have less "required" damage types as is the case currently with explosive and piercing.