Author Topic: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues  (Read 43875 times)

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: GUNS & GUNS SKILL v1.3 Balance Issues
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 12:02:39 am »
I'm really not a fan of the mercury field gun nerf. I feel like you went about it all wrong. The ONLY problem I really had with the gun was when people ran two of them, now there's no point in running even one. You should just make it a one gun per ship sort of deal.

The BIGGEST problem with the field gun nerf however, is the speed. You took a sniper rifle basically and made it have the speed of a pistol. Think about a sniper rifle in real life, the bullets move FASTER than other guns. It's like taking a barret and making it travel at the speed of a 9mm. Doesn't make much sense does it?

If you gave it back the normal speed, but kept the drop and reduced range of movement, it'd be fine.

It's not really a sniper rifle though, It's a field gun. Basically a mini-cannon. It's even called a small howitzer in the combat log. I think it fires more appropriately now than it did before. 

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41:00 am »
Think about a sniper rifle in real life, the bullets move FASTER than other guns.

Sniper rifle, a man-portable anti-personnel weapon.  Mercury, definitely not man-portable anti-armour weapon.

I don't see where your relating it back to "reality" works.  You can't think of the Mercury as a sniper rifle, the analogy just don't fly.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:21 am »
Our game is ever so loosely based on reality.

And just to make a point.  An average 9mm bullet travels at about 300 meters/second.  A gun in our game that travels at around that speed is the Heavy Flak at 240m/s.  Another is the Gatling at 300m/s.  Most of are guns travel quite a bit faster.  .50 caliber sniper rifles are at about 800m/s.  The Field Gun was at 1200m/s and is now at 750m/s.  However, at the end of the day none of that crap matters because you're flying around in a virtual environment.  Reality is simulated and the way we perceive simulation is very different from how we perceive reality.

To put it simply, we are not a simulation.  The changes to the Field Gun can be compared to making it like it has the speed of a 9mm compared to before, fine, but I don't care.  It's about how it feels and how it affects gameplay.  I have that freedom to shape gameplay in certain ways because we are only loosely based on reality.  It's a good freedom to have because simulations are heavily constrained and imbalances are hard to fix.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:27 am »
750 m/s is closer to "realism" than 1200 m/s, and lowering the speed has been a good change in my opinion. I admit, I do not know that much about the inner workings on the game, but now the Merc is better in terms of speed.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 06:51:21 am »
I'm here to inform that the Double Barreled Mortar is OP. Once hull armor is down, it does enough damage to take down any ship. With greased rounds it even does it fast enough to prevent the crew from repairing the armor. I'm not even kidding here, Goldfishes and Galleons drop like flies when their hull armor is stripped. I recommend either lowering the damage on the mortar or halving the amount of rounds per clip.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2013, 07:44:30 am »
I'm here to inform that the Double Barreled Mortar is OP. Once hull armor is down, it does enough damage to take down any ship. With greased rounds it even does it fast enough to prevent the crew from repairing the armor. I'm not even kidding here, Goldfishes and Galleons drop like flies when their hull armor is stripped. I recommend either lowering the damage on the mortar or halving the amount of rounds per clip.

With the exclusion of the latest Lesmok changes, that is perfectly fine, Geased rounds are a very close range ammo type, they aren't even as effective as people think since they make your projectiles slower, which means damage is delivered slower, keep your distance and any Mortar gunner using just Greased won't be able to shoot at you, other than that, keep your armor up and use cover and clouds. The mortar was always capable of that, it's not something new, but it's a hard weapon to use properly.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:01 am »
Sorry, but I don't think it's fair for players, especially for Galleon captains, to see their 1100+ hp ship to evaporate after their hull is down. The hull takes a lot of time to repair on some ships and the HP is supposed to compensate for it. This is doubly so on Galleons where vanilla acceleration and turning is virtually non existent. It gives the higher armor ships a large advantage over the lower armor ships because Chaingun takes a lot more time to strip the same amount of armor.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2013, 10:08:50 am »
Incendiary dual mortars are super fun to use <3 only tried it recently, but it works well.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 10:16:07 am »
If you're flying close enough for a mortar to use greased ammo when your hull is down, then yeah, your ship should blow up... something isn't OP just because you're playing into its effectiveness. All you have to do is stay farther away and it becomes much harder to hit with (still pretty easy with lesmok, but then it's doing less DPS so it's not as a big of a concern).

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 10:25:27 am »
Locking this thread. Please use the 1.3.1 balance discussion topic.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php?topic=2007.0