Author Topic: 1.3 Release General Discussion  (Read 19707 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 Release General Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »
Greased is 28% more powerful than heavy.  You need to hit 72% of the shots heavy clip hits. 

78%, actually. Greased has 128% of heavy's power, which doesn't translate into heavy being 72% of greased's power :P

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »
I'm thinking of dropping the flak and using the mortar instead.

And who said the mortar had short range?

(yes, I know that this would be essentially impossible against a moving target)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:52:23 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 02:01:06 pm »
The mortar is very under-rated.. I dropped the light flak for the mortar on Junker builds well before 1.3 (probably copying Captain Phoenix, but he seems to have abandoned that Junker build).  It just needs a bit more skill/understanding from the crew firing it to watch the arc of shot.  Plus, you've a long delay before seeing whether your shot hits or not.  Fire a clip with greased and your last shell can have left the gun before the first shell has hit/missed the target.

I don't understand why people use lesmok with the light mortar, it doesn't seem justified for the range argument (other than making it shoot marginally more like the flak by flattening the trajectory).

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
You know, if you had somebody put enough hours into learning the mortar's range and drop, merc-mortar could be an extremely deadly combo.

And I have to disagree with the sentiment that the mortar was better than the flak in 1.2. Before the reload the flak does more DPS and can destroy all but two ships in four shots (with a buff). So in 1.2 it was really better to have a flak, since it could kill everything but the Goldfish and the Galleon quicker than the mortar (and considering the Goldfish's hull rebuild, it was probably better against that too). But now with the reduced clip size of the flak with heavy clip, combined with the mortar's new AoE and turning speed, I think it gets the edge.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11:04 pm »
I'm thinking of dropping the flak and using the mortar instead.

And who said the mortar had short range?

(yes, I know that this would be essentially impossible against a moving target)

Can still out distance a flak/gat

You know, if you had somebody put enough hours into learning the mortar's range and drop, merc-mortar could be an extremely deadly combo.

I'd do it.
just need the computer back....but I've been wanting to test merc mortar for some time now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 03:12:54 pm by Letus »

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 11:54:25 am »
Actualy merc is better even in very short range than non-heavy gat against junkers. The spread on gat means most of shots will miss junker.

Flak will allways be better with pugs (and against ships with short armor rebuild time). Otherwise I've known light mortars are underutilised for a long time now :)

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 12:04:14 pm »
I recently ran with an Artemis/Mortar build on my junker, fairly effective.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:44 pm »
I recently ran with an Artemis/Mortar build on my junker, fairly effective.

Eh. It needed more fire.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 01:26:28 pm »

Flak will allways be better with....  against ships with short armor rebuild time...

I actually disagree with this.  Due to the larger clips, mortars are easier to prefire and spend more time being fired than being reloaded making them superior to catching the enemy without armor.  Of course knowing when to prefire, hold fire, and reload are a bit of gunnery art; but just because it isn't simple doesn't mean it's not superior.

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 02:12:31 pm »
I feel that the flak is more useful on slow ships. Call me old-fashioned, but I always feel more confident with a good gat-flak combo on my pyramidion (especially when my crew is inexperienced). The mortar, however, is great for the front gun of my squid, and it works miracles with an experienced gunner.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »
I feel that the flak is more useful on slow ships. Call me old-fashioned, but I always feel more confident with a good gat-flak combo on my pyramidion (especially when my crew is inexperienced). The mortar, however, is great for the front gun of my squid, and it works miracles with an experienced gunner.

QFT

also the mortar is amazing if the enemy crew is not playing at their best because the resulting chaos of all those black streaks flying around you and explosions everywhere will often disorient unfocused engineers. :P