Author Topic: Team Tactics  (Read 25803 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Team Tactics
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »
Whenever I fly a double gat Pyra, I usually like to use rams to finish them after the hull's gone down.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 03:59:58 pm »
Hwacha goldfish take forever to bring down the armor of  a target. Due to the long reload cycle a good engineer can rebuild the armor and almost bring it almost up to full with a post rebuild mallet whack. If the Hwacha holds fire until the moment the armor drops and gets a high hit percentage (from heavy clip or bring close) it is close to an instant kill for some ships. Also a long range volley from the Hwacha can break the  enemy guns, making it safer for the Pyramiddion to close. Also don't forget about the shatter power of the whirlwind. It is not as good as a Hwacha, but with heavy clip and a good gunner, you can take most weapons offline at close range.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:29 pm »
With the Whirlwind, Burst is always my go-to ammunition of choice as soon as the range closes.  I find it's very effective.  Some people also swear by Greased with the Gatling.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:47 pm »
I swear by heavy clip actually, it tightens your firing cone so that the whirlwind becomes effective at medium range. At close range you can order your gunners to target individual components on the enemy ship. Some times the only to survive a blender fish is to disable the Carronade with continuous Gatling gun fire. It is also a lot of fun shooting out a ships engines when it is trying to get away.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:14 pm »
Probably six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other, either Heavy for precision or Burst with aoe explosive damage so you don't need to be as precise - the double advantage of Burst is then that the aoe damage has better hull destrying abilities than the direct damage once the armour has been stripped.

That x1.4 vs. hull aoe explosive damage from Burst rounds is well worth considering with the Whirlwind.  If you had dual gatlings and both gunners using Burst you'd say a dramatic improvement in your ability to finish off the target without support from your team mate.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »
Probably six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other, either Heavy for precision or Burst with aoe explosive damage so you don't need to be as precise - the double advantage of Burst is then that the aoe damage has better hull destrying abilities than the direct damage once the armour has been stripped.

That x1.4 vs. hull aoe explosive damage from Burst rounds is well worth considering with the Whirlwind.  If you had dual gatlings and both gunners using Burst you'd say a dramatic improvement in your ability to finish off the target without support from your team mate.

Not to mention the increased clip size. Burst really is great once you get close up.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 07:01:41 pm »
I am going to have to try out burst. I was not aware that it did anything beyond increasing the clip size with no cost to damage. I interpreted the weapon Manuel as bust multiplies the explosive area, but if the bullet has no explosive effect there wouldn't be any additional gain.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 08:06:41 pm »
I think we need a definitive ruling from Awkm, but based on my experience of using the Whirlwind as there's a definite increase in ship killing power when you load it with Burst.  I've just had to check the description, I thought Burst added specific Explosive damage - but you're right the description only says that the extent of aoe damage is increased.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 09:03:14 pm »
we must do science, compare the killing power of greased versus burst

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:08 am »

Now I understand your double Pyramidion build much better. I was wondered if it was solely intended for ramming after you chipped the Hull away with the Gatlings, but with the possibility of having some explosive damage on the Gatling bullets it looks different. They don't seem to change the damage type in the end now, though?

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2013, 05:17:57 am »
I'm not sure I'll retain the double-Whirlwind Pyra build now that Clara has clarified the position on the ramming achievements.  If all I need to do is crush components, I'll stick with the standard gatling-flak - which in a head-to-head closing situation a dual-gatling Pyra will lose out to.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:19 am »
The double-Whirlwind Pyra lacks the solo killing power of the whirlwind flack combo, but in a team fight it strips armor and leaves a target vulnerable to hull killing rounds from another ship. It also put the hull component in red which tends to distract the engineers, and sometimes even the gunner.

I would never take the double-Whirlwind Pyra into a game where I can't trust the other captain to fight as a team. That is what the blenderfish is for. But since this is a discussion on team tactics I wanted to point out that picking weapons that compliment your teammate's weapons does a lot to bring about victory. Double-Whirlwind is not OP, good teamwork and double-Whirlwind is OP.