Author Topic: Achievements and Leveling...  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Door Master

• Salutes: 1
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Achievements and Leveling...
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:07:39 pm »
Well, we were having a conversation in-game earlier, and all I can say is that it sounds like everyone doesn't seem to be fond of how achievements work anymore.

From what I've heard, everyone thinks that MUSE are just making the achievements ridiculously hard, then basing peoples levels on who can actually be bothered to grind the most...

And I agree that this isn't a great system...

I've been playing for these past 3 months and only managed to level up once, through all of Cogs Season 1 I was level 6, and it looks as if I'm going to be level 7 through all of Season 2...

What has happened is that I've hit this brick wall of achievements that don't suit how I want to play the game.  So I have to go out of my way and play in such a way that most captains frown upon for my own benefit, what I've discussed is that some people want an XP based leveling system, which I think is a great idea.

It's also boring me, as I've lost a target to hit, I don't seem to be rewarded with anything for putting time into the game anymore...

And it's because I have to go out of my way to do all the achievements that don't suit me...

Anyway, I reckon it can work by making the 'grinding achievements' give you badges, elite costumes and massive XP boosters instead, then you can gain XP based on games played, wins and time played.

I don't know what other people think about this idea, and I know it would mean reworking the whole leveling system, but I know for a fact, I would rather my XP show my experience within the game, not how many achievements I was patient enough to grind.

That, plus Smollett just said there's an achievement where you have to rebuild 100 things in under 3 seconds...

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO DO THAT...!!!? >:(

Anyway, please let me know what all of your opinions are!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Achievements and Leveling...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:13:30 pm »
The new achievements are, quite frankly, ludicrous. I'm pretty much giving up on going past level 12 engi, and I'm not sure if I'll even go that far.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »
I mean... ok, I say this with the full acknowledgement that the leveling system is nowhere near perfect but...

I think people are making way too big of a deal out of this. Yeah, I guess seeing your numbers get bigger is neat and all, but if you're playing only to complete achievements and make numbers which mean nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, then I... well, I personally think you're doing it wrong. I mean, that number is literally one of the most arbitrary numbers ever, doesn't relate to any skill and doesn't influence anything other than getting some shiny badges and some niftier clothes (nor do I think it should, I'm perfectly happy with levels not affecting anything not cosmetic).

If your only target in the game is to edge those numbers up.... I just don't get that. You should be playing the game because you enjoy it, not for completely meaningless number levels.

But I guess that could just be me.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
I play this game because I enjoy it. And I also enjoy finishing achievements in this game and leveling up. But honestly, a lot of these achievements that have been added really sadden me. There used to be a few badly constructed nearly impossible achievements that you had to farm to level up because they were poorly constructed. Now they have been made intentionally impossible so that you can't even complete them in game and you'd have to struggle to even farm.

If Muse didn't want us to level up, why even raise the cap?

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:01:25 am »
This needs to be merged with the other thread.. ..

Almost all of the initial achievements are useful, in that they get you out of a rut and trying new styles of play.  But after L3 you've pretty much sussed a profession and can be expected to know what to do.  After that it becomes a little bit of a grind if you want to do it although you'll eventually make L6 just by playing that profession in a variety of different games.  It will come slowly, but you'll get there without trying.  After L6 it really is a grind and you'll have to go out of your way to complete achievements - you'll find yourself repeatedly flying a Galleon in Scrap and other CP matches just because the achievement requires it.

But.. anyone can ignore achievements, they're not compulsory.  Hit L3 across the board and you'll not unduly worry any Captain when you join their ship.  And you won't frighten prospective crew members who may otherwise be wondering if you know enough to let them do their job.

(and repairs within 3 seconds is possible, this was discussed last night in a game and it was decided that the Squid was probably the only ship you cold do this on, although I think it may also be possible on a Spire)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 05:20:30 am »
I still want level to be based on how many games played:
1 win = 1 point
1 loss = 0.5 point

cummulate it all and you will receive levels at milestones.

then I want achievements to unlock costumes (possibly rare costumes) + possibly rare titles

A special achievement could be based on your level and give you the standard titles.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 06:34:13 am »
TBH I've not actively ground for levels, but if I notice I'm close to closing one say 5-10 off, I'll play a couple of matches per session to close it as it can spice up the gameplay to change stuff around.

I think Muse got it right by not awarding points for winning matches, just as they don't reward individual efforts outside of the acheivments - because they teach players good game play by rewarding them for things like knowing how to be flexible, knowlegedable about their tool sets and for co-operating with others to achieve an objective. But adding scoring for matches people will be encouraged to stop focussing on the match in hand and start looking to build up their stats. Then suddenly we're in the realms of this discussion. Sometimes you just want to throw on a crazy loadout to see what you can do with it, you know? Or maybe that's just me.

The point being if standings are your thing there are tournaments, but it's better to keep them optional IMHO.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:16:24 am »
That, plus Smollett just said there's an achievement where you have to rebuild 100 things in under 3 seconds...

HOW DO YOU EXPECT ANYONE TO DO THAT...!!!? >:(

I don't. Sorry! That's obviously impossible and was a transcription error. Should be 10 seconds, and is being fixed. The time constraints in general are being loosened a bit.

For a more general response about achievements, see my post in this thread: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1634.msg28945.html#msg28945

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 12:00:12 pm »
I may be only level 6,but looking at all the future challenges for the higher levels.. . They don't seem too bad. I don't focus on achievements, but I actively work on at least one every match (ex. Extinguish 100 fires, easy if you Extinguish like 5 every round.) They're supposed to take time, the last ones are supposed to piss you off. And repairing 100 things in under 10 seconds is easy; it takes like, what, three seconds to repair an engine with the spanner?

The longer the game is out, the average player level will increase, yes? In a month or two, the currently level 3's will be level 7's. And if we get "experienced players only" lobbies, then they'll be stupid easy.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »
The moment you can validly prove a point with your levels is the point my teeth hit the ground. Currently we have a player-to-player reputation base, which has been extremely fun. Your level tells nothing actual, but does tell that a guy has at least shot with a carronade, for example. ^^
It is fantastic to have an actual reputation among people, forces you to actually do your best every time instead of messing around.

Still, I can understand the opinions on changing the system to something else, yet I think it is fine as it is, it doesn't affect anything. :)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:38 am »
I actually got the rebuild 100 in 3 secs done before the patch hit. It isn't that hard. Fly a squid. You'll get it in no time. Course they changed it now but I had no trouble getting rebuilds in 3 secs with a squid. Hull goes down, 3 sec, back up. When I saw the achievement originally I knew right away it was a squid only achievement.

But the other achievements where you have to face all pilots of certain levels...they are bs. Already made a thread on it.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:47 pm »
Leveling up for the elite costume...after 10 who cares.

Offline Commodore Phoenix

• Salutes: 12
    • [CCor]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »
Check out the much more awesome thread to post your feelings on the matter here:

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1634.0.html