Author Topic: clantags in test  (Read 9108 times)

Offline Ailen

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 17
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
clantags in test
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:40:31 am »
Im sorry, but what a stupid garbage from clantags? No more and no less than four letters. Most of the names of clans or reduced to one letter, or up to three. Its like you mocking us. Please, do it properly, when you will complete the test.

Offline timmymonsta

• Salutes: 16
    • [BSSN]
    • View Profile
Re: clantags in test
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:59:34 am »
I was able to put in a tag of MM just fine. I believe there is only an upper limit on characters and that's so the name text doesn't get too super long.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:33:30 am »
Erm, no need to get so upset about a work-in-progress development build. Re-read what you wrote, Ailen, and see how silly you sound. I'd kind of expect a CA Mod to be a little more levelheaded.

Offline Xemkobankavareniya

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rrdy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
I would prefer not to see the silly offtopic in this thread, naufrago.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
As there is now a thread about it, I'll put my feelings here.

I think the tags should be done somehow "officially", perhaps by CAs, with clans and members needing to be registered somehow. This would mean no imposters, and no people using the clan tag (that doesn't have a change limit, unlike nicks) for other purposes. It would also allow standards to be kept, e.g. correct capitalization. If 4 chars is the limit, a "." or something else should be added to indicate shortened names.
The tags look the same as the current practice of having the tag as part of your name. It should be differentiated in some way, so which part is the tag and which part is the name can be determined. Also with a 4-character limit, the old method is more versatile, so people might end up continuing to use that...

They can currently be 2-4 letters, so "no less" isn't accurate, but perhaps this has changed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:44:01 pm by Moo »

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:50:29 pm »
Yeah, they should definitely be more official. They could have the clans in the clan listing get first dibs on reserving clan tags. In fact, I'd say that a clan should be registered in some way or another before getting a tag. Otherwise it's just a silly four-character name extension. Then clan leaders should be able to choose who gets a tag. It would be amazing if that could be tied to Steam Groups, so the clan leader could just select "Everybody in Steam Group X can choose to use this tag"

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »
I agree with Ailen. In-Game-Clans are a bit of a joke. At least from my perspective, as this was the new feature I was MOST looking forward to. Would really rather not have them if this is all we get. Wait til a real system can be implemented.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 03:35:01 pm by dragonmere »

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:53:54 pm »
well in most games, the 4 character clan abbreviation is the clan support.  As the organization on the forums and steam is so good when it comes to clans, i dont see the need for much more.  if everyone in your group is not on your steam list your group is just way to massive to worry about imposters, or you are a really out of the loop member. (and if someone actually does try to fake being in a clan, which doesn't happen often at all because steam exists, good for your clan, you have gained enough fame that someone wants to copy you, or you have terrible members who were so antagonistic or annoying that someone now thinks its worth their time to try to lower your reputation) 

i mean, i get it, comprehensive ingame support would be cool for all the "competitive" crowd, but in reality its a fluff feature  (and the kind of fluff feature that targets people who wont stop playing the game, and have already set up everything that will be ingame through steam and the forums and private websites).  once everything essential to the game is done, yeah it would be great. but until then, the tag is a great addition.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 12:58:29 pm by JaegerDelta »

Offline FightBoyVash

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Redstone Rampaga
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:18 pm »
Yeah, they should definitely be more official. They could have the clans in the clan listing get first dibs on reserving clan tags. In fact, I'd say that a clan should be registered in some way or another before getting a tag. Otherwise it's just a silly four-character name extension. Then clan leaders should be able to choose who gets a tag. It would be amazing if that could be tied to Steam Groups, so the clan leader could just select "Everybody in Steam Group X can choose to use this tag"

I was about to yell "STEAM GROUPS!" then I read what you wrote. :C Yeah, this sounds awesome and would promote clans to MAKE steam groups C: We already all use [Duck]

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:30:59 pm »
The plan was always to add the simple tags first, and work on a more fully-featured clan system later down the line. Just because we added simple tags in this update doesn't mean it's the final word on clans.

Sorry if we didn't make this distinction more clear, and apologies to anyone who was expecting a full clan system this update. There are a lot of things we have on our list to work on before we get to that, but the simple tag should be an improvement over nothing. If you have concerns about the way it's implemented, I'd be happy to hear them.

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 10:22:00 pm »
Well, last I checked there's no profanity filter for the clan tags. So you might want to check that out at least =p

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »
Well, last I checked there's no profanity filter for the clan tags. So you might want to check that out at least =p

About an hour after Zill was able to demonstrate the lack of a filter, I checked to see if it was still that way. It appears that it was fixed.