Author Topic: 1.3 General Speculation  (Read 113036 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 General Speculation
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2013, 10:00:54 am »
I'd much rather that penetration is delayed until the next patch if that means that something like Frogger's suggestion can be implemented.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #136 on: July 07, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »
Penetration will be delayed.  Field Gun will remain the same as 1.2 until penetration goes in.  Everything else will go in. 

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 07, 2013, 01:57:34 pm »
Penetration will be delayed.  Field Gun will remain the same as 1.2 until penetration goes in.  Everything else will go in. 

You're the best, Eric!

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2013, 02:00:24 pm »

Sorry, had to.

Offline Frogger

• Salutes: 20
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2013, 09:56:34 pm »
Thanks, Eric. I think the dynamic of the gun is really quite fine as it is, with the exception of 1) the difficulty of hitting certain light weapon mounts and 2) the un-funness of being mass merc'ed at range (though #2 is certainly up for debate). Paradoxically I think two-shot component kills would make it even harder for pubs to use the gun as a disabler, so I think this is the best course of action until you can iron out the code wrinkles for penetration.

Offline Andrej Peribosky

• Salutes: 4
    • [MAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:18 am »
Given that we have only 2 piercing guns, we need to make them balance.
I think what we want is this:

Let's start by lowering piercing multiplier to armor by around 30%. Increase it by 15% on hull health instead. Hull goes down way too fast currently. Ships behave like fighters, not warships.

Mercury:
long range, able to destroy armor easily. At medium ranges, able to destroy components easily.
Short range should be useless

Gatling:
Should be able to be much stronger than mercury if you can get in its range. Already can't hit at long range.

For this i propose:

Gatling maybe should get increased rate of fire the more you keep firing, but but as rate of fire increases, gun turn radius should decrease. (and jitter should increase, but you said you can't do that right now)
Fire speed should be around 50% of what it is now for the first shots, up to 200% fire rate (and -60% turn rate) after a few seconds of fire if possible.

I think gatling should be really accurate for the first 10 shots or so, but you said you can't do that right now, so you have jitter. Still, it has TOO MUCH jitter in 1.3

Mercury, i would add a potent screen shake to zoomed view whenever you are hit with high-damaging projectiles (other mercuries, lumberjacks), and medium shake when the ship is going faster than speed 1.
Mercury damage is fine as it is.
Additionally, projectile should accelerate at longer distance, having 70% damage at short range and up to 120% at longer ranges, or 150% for extremely far shots.
Mercury should keep the 10 or even 15 more degrees turn angle, since it nerfed in other respect when close range.

What we get:
Snipers wars are funnier with screen shakes, gunners must time shots to win.
At long range, due to medium screen shake on ship movement, you can't really hit components unless you are really good or completely stationary. At shorter ranges, it is easier to do so.

If you CAN get close, you have a big advantage with gatlings. If you can't, you are in trouble, but one ship CANNOT keep firing indefinately at long distance without support, because the close range ship will eventually get close.
At short distance, mercuries are not completely useless. You get no screenshake if unzoomed, and the turn angle of the weapon allows for return fire.

Possibly not in this patch, but i think ammunition must change too.
I'd go for heavy (or something else) greatly decreasing jitter, decreasing rate of fire, slightly increasing damage.
One ammunition type should be for mercuries. I'm thinking penetration bullets
A new type of ammunition: it should create a small (harmless) white cloud where the projectile lands, impairing vision to other snipers if aimed correctly, but also leave a very visible smoke trails to bullets. Produce modifiers so that it mostly only feasible for mercuries.

I dont think it can be much more balanced than this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:50:35 am by Andrej Peribosky »

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:00 am »
I sent a pretty idea as an e-mail regarding the Mercury and what could possible be done, hoping to see a responce from muse soon c:

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 08, 2013, 11:20:46 am »
If you CAN get close, you have a big advantage with gatlings. If you can't, you are in trouble, but one ship CANNOT keep firing indefinately at long distance without support, because the close range ship will eventually get close.

See, that's just the problem with the merc. It's actually very difficult to close distance against one. At far distances, you can't outrun a ship sitting there turning to face you. If you move in to tank those shots at medium range, suddenly more shots are hitting meaning you can't tank them and a lot more of your components start going down.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 08, 2013, 11:23:32 am »
Well, one merc isn't scary. Five was....

Offline Andrej Peribosky

• Salutes: 4
    • [MAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:59 am »

See, that's just the problem with the merc. It's actually very difficult to close distance against one. At far distances, you can't outrun a ship sitting there turning to face you. If you move in to tank those shots at medium range, suddenly more shots are hitting meaning you can't tank them and a lot more of your components start going down.

I know.
That's why i proposed that modification.
At long range, you will take some permahull damage, but screenshake will prevent most gunners from oneshotting your components.
At medium range, the mercury will do less hull damage (ideally you would be able to tank 80% of the damage of 2 mercuries), but screenshake will not be enough to prevent them for destroying your components, so you have to take care of that.
When you get to short range, as brawler you have superior firepower (but probably lost some permahull and maybe some components) so both ships can still fight, advantage to the brawler of course.
Of course, a sniper's strategy should be to let a teammate distract the enemy, so that it can continue to fire at long range.
With heavy screen shake on ship movement, the long range ship can't really keep distance up if it wants to hit anything.
The sniper's role should be to
a) do hull damage at long distance to support other friendlies
b) snipe components to defend against incoming ships at medium range

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:27:43 am by Andrej Peribosky »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2013, 11:31:11 am »
Component disables at long range aren't the problem with sniping. Hell, that's how I prepare for rushes against long-range Galleons. The problem is the huge amount of armour damage they do from long range, which builds up to a lot of hull damage too.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »
No changes are going to be made for the Field Gun.  They will remain at 1.2 balance.  It's already at a place where any changes cause everyone to flail.

Penetration and more piercing weapons will be delayed for another update in the future.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 08, 2013, 01:36:10 pm »
Next patch... buffed harpoon!!!!!

Honestly, long range combat - advantage mercury

Middle range combat - advantage gattling

Short range combat - advantage harpoon!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 08, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »
The harpoon used to be good... The Lucky Duck slinging ships in the Paddling-MNS match on Duel was simply majestic.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 08, 2013, 01:46:31 pm »
Yeah, harpoon used to be epic on the Galleon.

A lot of folks have been asking for the ability to let the gunner control the harpoon's reel.  Obviously this would take coding but this mechanic combined with a much stronger pull than currently in game combined with a higher pierce damage would make this gun incredible.

I'm thinking at least 1.5 times the pierce of the mercury with a overall dps greater than the gattling if you harpoon spam.  Close range armor destruction to a ship that can't control it's own gun arcs would be awesome.  Would be a sweet advantage for brawling teams that closed.