Author Topic: What did you name your ship and why?  (Read 223993 times)

Offline Zuka'Esrai

• Salutes: 9
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Re: What did you name your ship and why?
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
Pyramidion — The Furious Vakari
If you fly with me, you know she's the most well-oiled machine in the skies! Originally came to be because the word Vakarian was banned, thus preventing Vakarian's Fury from being a thing. Named after my favorite Turian on the Citadel (more gorgeous than Rivendell). She's battle-hardened with the Reach of the gods, but she cannae turn worth a quad.

Goldfish — Pillar of Awesome
A stolen Halo reference, she's aptly named because she's got outrageous firepower in a single direction. Originated back before the lumberjack had an arming time, when you could pin anything to the ground regardless of range. Oh the glory days.

Squid — Thane of Whiterun
Ah the Thane, a masshup of Thane Krios and Skyrim. She's got the Flexibility to match the Vakari and all the commanding glory of a Thane!

Junker — Glory of Khar'Shan
The Junker always seemed the most Pirate-like to me, aside from the Galleon. She's a pitiful mashup of used parts and glorious design decisions, something you'd expect from skypirates! Aptly named because she carries herself with the awful swagger that we've come to expect from the Batarian Hegemony.

Spire — Indomitable
The Indomitable was once a glorious vessel, capable of single-handedly scorning scores of foes! She suffered a bad fall, and is now regulated to the role of glass cannon and general insult flinger. Desperate for attention, she's prone to random acts of furious ramming.

Galleon —MSV Hugo Gernsback
Another Mass Effect reference, the Hugo is duly named because I often perform maneuvers which most deem physically impossible with little regard for the crew's sanity. She'll colonize you good.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2013, 11:58:33 pm »
I Recently named my Junker The Fat Manatee, cause that's what I see it as.

Offline Lovex Lazil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
    • Watch Me Live @Twich.Tv
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:22 am »
I only have one ship named.

The ship is my Goldfish and it's called "Deadman's Hope"

The reasoning behind the name is simple; I can't pilot to save my life, and myself and crew usually die really fast :D

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »
I'm quite a fan of Norse mythology, so I named each of my ships after one of the nine worlds.

Pyramidion: Svartalfheim
Home of Dark elves, destruction etc.

Junker: Niflheim
Realm below Helheim (basically hell), full of junk etc.

Spire: Asgard
Highest realm, Spires are tall

Goldfish: Midgard
Middle realm, run-of-the-mill

Squid: Alfheim
Elves, fast, nimble

Galleon: Jotunheim
Realm of giants, Galleons are large

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »
Junker: Maelstrom

Inspired by the Matari 'Maelstrom' battleship from EvE, the race's ships all look like scraps of metal put together, and this battleship is considered one of the most versatile, just I think of the Junker, a very versatile ship.

Goldfish: Schism

Inspired by the game with the same name, it's a game like Cyan's MYST and it had some airships very similar to the goldie.

Pyramidion: Abaddon

Abaddon, in hebrew, is a place of destruction, just like the Pyramidion is a destructime machine of death.

Spire: Myst

The Spire is a puzzle to me, so I guess the name of one of my favorite puzzle games (despite never finishing it >.<) is fitting. It's all weird and tall and it reminds me of the places in Myst's worlds.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:41 pm »
Goldfish: USS Enterprise
My favorite ship, and it comes with the username.

Squid: Ricky Bobby
Because if you're not first, you're last.

Pyramidion: LEEEERRRROOOYYY
I ran all gat, and a friend of mine (In his Pyra christened the "JEEENNNKKKINNNSS") ran mortars and we blindly rushed into battle.

Galleon: Fighting Fire
Early in my experience with the game, I was having trouble taking down a quad-manticore Galleon, so I tried fighting fire with fire. It failed miserably, but the name stuck.

Spire: Tire
It rhymes.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 19, 2013, 06:13:12 am »
My ships are an odd brew of Culture, some British, all strange.

Pyramidion-The Black Lagger. A delicious pun on Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder, and it originates from a game with Lehran, Cul and  some other fine fellows in which we managed to win despite me disconnecting around 8 times. Upon reconnect (which is often) 'Blacklagger Connects Again!' can be heard.

Squid- Grabbin' Pills. An ironic mention to the two situations in which health is not an abundant resource. While there aren't zombies in Guns, I do love it when some co-captains change their ship name to 'Pills Here!'

Galleon- Gangplank A mention to the only non-scurvy ridden pirate to ever sail these air currents. That, and he heavily reminds me of RethBurn, simply because he was his Skype profile picture for a month.

Goldfish- Gandalf's Beard A mention to the old Wizard himself, I chose this as the trail of rockets from the Hwacha is almost as long, but half as powerful, as that white beard.

Junker- Change to Engineer I doubt the survivability of Junkers without 3 Engineers, and calling the ship such helps the newer players understand my reasoning.

Spire-Glass Cannon Epitome of the Spire.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:51 am »
Junker - Revenant
Its dead pieces of other ships...plus it sounds cool :p

Pyramidion - Crimson Chin
Here comes, the Crimson Chin! *RAM*

Squid - Scorpion
Fast little bastard that disables prey with claws (Gatling Gun), then finishes it off with a sting (swing around to use mortar). It also breathes fire from its ass (flame thrower)

I've been playing with names for the others, I'll get back to you on them.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:30 am »

Junker- Change to Engineer I doubt the survivability of Junkers without 3 Engineers, and calling the ship such helps the newer players understand my reasoning.

That may be my new favorite ship name because it epitomizes what a captain should expect from his crew.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2013, 03:19:48 am »

That may be my new favorite ship name because it epitomizes what a captain should expect from his crew.

I've been flying my junker a lot recently, It's pretty durable, someone described it as the Galleons little cousin during a game a while back.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:23 am »
I named my Galleon The Gentleman's Teabag because it's actually a very dirty joke hidden inside a dapper reference.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:42 am »

I've been flying my junker a lot recently, It's pretty durable, someone described it as the Galleons little cousin during a game a while back.

Someone in one of my games called it the Pocket Galleon.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2013, 10:10:51 am »
Goldfish: HMCS Duck Surprise

High-five to anybody who gets the reference.

Mobula: HMCS Double Corner

Anybody to whom I haven't explained this name but understands how it's a duck reference gets three high-fives.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2013, 11:12:05 am »
All my ships are named after Venetian boats and ships, both current and of the past, loosely based on their appearence...
So we have the Bucintoro, which was the galley of the Doge, my Galleon.
Squid: Cacciapesca, a small boat used to hunting and fishing in the lagoon.
Junker: Patana, a square-ish flat bottom boat used for transportation.
Pyramidion: Sandalo, a pointy boat... and this is where the parallels start falling apart...
Goldfish: Topa... yeah it's not even close to the real boat...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:14:30 am by Serenum »

Offline Sailorman

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
Pyramidion: SS Dakka Dakka Dakka
When you fly with 3 gatling gunks (and a flakk) you have lots of fire power, or simple lots of Dakka, as ork would say. Thus the name. Also I like to scream "more dakka!" when near a enemy ship. Some savvy crew members yell "Waaah"  during combat, its a very orkish ship.

Squid: Bieber Fever
Like Bieber this ship is annoying and can drive you mad, unlike Bieber it has flamethrowers.