Author Topic: What did you name your ship and why?  (Read 226193 times)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
Re: What did you name your ship and why?
« Reply #225 on: September 04, 2013, 09:57:37 pm »
Mandolorians are so badass.

Ever read the Clone Commando series?

Offline Zander Broda

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 04, 2013, 11:45:28 pm »
No, but its on my "to read" list. Karen Travis wrote those right? I've heard...mixed things about her, both as a person and as an author. but then again she's pretty much solely responsible for the Mandalorians being badass, lord knows that Boba and Jango didn't help.

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 04, 2013, 11:52:41 pm »
From what I've heard the Clone Commando books are the only decent thing she's written, everything else is complete shit.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #228 on: September 05, 2013, 05:21:25 pm »
Clone Commando is amazing.

Probably near the top of my favorite book list. Not THE top, but top 25 for sure.

Offline Locutus of borg

• Salutes: 7
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:24 pm »
I think the name I am most proud of is my squid, The Muad'dib

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:26 pm »
Huh. Battle on the Dunes CP where you capture spice but look out for sandworms?

Offline Lady Elektra

• Salutes: 0
    • [SMAC]
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2013, 12:43:45 pm »
Most of my ships in my fleet are named from people in the Greek myth of the House of Atreus.

Pyramidion-The Oedipus (Fave Ship)
~Named after Oedipus Rex, the poor man who ended up gouging out his eyes after finding out what he had done. Also pairs nicely with my name jokingly referring to Freud's Oedipus Complex and Electra Complex.

Spire- The Aegisthus
~Named after Clytemenstra's secret love affair.

Mobula- The Fury
~Named after the Erinyes that tortured Orestes after exacting his revenge.

Junker- La Josephine
~Based off of the old 1910 song called "Come Josephine in My Flying Machine" by Fred Fisher. If you ever watched Titanic, you will have heard this song at least once.

Goldfish- The Flotsam
~Named after my goldfish. Flotsam meaning floating ship wreckage and cargo.

Galleon- The Iphignia
~Named after Electra and Orestes sister who their father sacrificed at Troy for favorable winds.

Squid- The Cassandra
~Named after the slave girl Agamemnon brought back from Troy.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2013, 02:05:55 pm »
Does your squid suffer from a Cassandra complex?

Squid "No don't charge in there, it's a trap and you'll be killed within seconds!"

Ally "You don't know what you're talking about stupid Squid"

Dies seconds later

Offline Lady Elektra

• [SMAC]
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #233 on: September 17, 2013, 07:38:01 am »
Well considering I rarely pilot the squid, that could be quite accurate as I am one to keep strategies close-ranged

Offline Riggatto

• Salutes: 60
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2013, 12:55:44 am »
Pyramidion-Chikchikkyboom: Watched the movie "The Mask" and laughed my head off at the "Cuban Pete" scene, in which Jim Carry repeatedly yells "ChikChikkyboom, chikchikkyboom, chikchikkyboom!"

Squid-Lapetus: Saw some videos about moons in the solar system. Lapetus was a moon that looks like two moons that crashed into each other, was fitting for my ram-happy squid piloting.

Mobula-Muffin Frost: Not much to say, it looks like a muffin to me

Galleon-Golden Hind: The Golden Hind is the flagship of legendary pirate and treasure hunter Sir Francis Drake. While the galleon isn't my best ship, I considered it appropriate for it to have a legendary name.

Goldfish-Dark Yellow Yarn: Thought people would trip over themselves wondering, "How can yellow be dark??? And why did he name his ship that??"

Junker-Border Guard: Ever thought the junker would be great for drive ,*cough* fly-bys? Well, I did and the boxer guard is the one who must catch people all the while shooting them, what better configuration than this?

Yeah I know not super entertaining reasons.

Edit: Forgot the Spire: Needlepoint- was in a game one day when someone jokingly suggested that spire be used as ammo for the Juggernaut's cannons, I mean, the ship looks like it could hit pretty hard if it could turn on its side and go at the enemy longways, with the "needlepoint" facing the enemy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:09:05 am by Riggatto »

Offline Myroc

• Salutes: 4
    • [BAYT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 25, 2013, 08:04:16 am »
Spire - The Weatherlight - Named after the Skyship Weatherlight of Magic: The Gathering fame.

Goldfish - The Legacy - Another MtG-inspired name, this time named after the magical superweapon developed by Urza. This is the name of all my flagships in games, including GoI, FTL, Leviathan: Warships, and pretty much all games that let me name ships, so this also essentially makes it a Legacy Character to boot.

Pyramidion - The Seraph - Not actually a reference to anything specific, I just like the word.

Junker - The Warhammer - Named partially after both Warhammer 40K/Warhammer Fantasy Battle, and after the fact that its balloon kind of looks like the head of a warhammer.

Mobula - The Citadel - Because the way the hull is mounted on top of the balloon makes it look sort of like a castle built on a cliff.

Galleon - The Overlord - If I have a huge ship that isn't actually my flagship Legacy above, I give it this name, because it sounds imposing and plays into my reputation of the residential Evil Overlord in other communities.

Squid - The Heretic - Not actually a reference here either. I don't really use the Squid much. Or at all.

Offline Serilda Fallon

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2013, 11:32:17 am »
Pyramidion: the Sadomasochist.
I'm a Sadist, so this was fitting.

Junker: the Brazen Bull.
Picture!
Wiki

Goldfish: Device of Torture.
I like hurting people..

Mobula Shackled and Drawn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4awmrqR3FI (Don't worry, it's not SM)

Offline Duna-Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:44 am »
i called my pyra: Painkiller. in hounor of an intense battle i lost playing 5-0, yet i never died due to my pilot skils and good engeneering team.
i called my Junker: Jebediah. in houner of the badass astronaut in Kerbal Space Program. it looks good, it is badass, and it never dies. if you think he's dead, he Always returns.  :)
furthermore i dont have named my other ships yet, but i think i will call my Goldfish: Magikarp  :P

Offline Goosling

• Salutes: 1
    • [IRSQ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2013, 06:40:39 am »
WHERES YOUR MOBULA!!!

Offline geggis

• Salutes: 12
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2013, 07:57:56 am »
Mobula: The Drop Bearship -- Fun with a meme! Or should that be pun with a meme? The Mobula can be deadly and has a tendency of dropping very fast (for better and for worse). Also: pun. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

Galleon: My Ace -- because it's a reliable ship and sounds like Coach from L4D saying 'my ass'. I like the idea of people saying 'go for my ace' or 'my ace on the horizon'. Bart's pranks on Moe always cracked me up.

Squid: The Jiving Sky Druid -- my girlfriend was testing out her smartphone messaging and just punched in a load of random keys (with predictive or something on) and it said 'diving sky druid' but I thought she said 'jiving' which sounded cooler to me.

Junker: Dunka Dunka -- I love Magicka and 'dunka dunka' is said quite often in it. I think it means party in whatever language those wizards are speaking (Swenglish and jibberish I believe). Either way, it used to make me laugh and also: it rhymes with Junker.

Spire: Up Ship Creak -- because it dies quickly. Because it creaks a lot as I turn. Because pun.

Goldfish: Wanda -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Fish_Called_Wanda, I couldn't resist.

My pyra is still work in progress and all these names are subject to change.