Author Topic: What did you name your ship and why?  (Read 225371 times)

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
Re: What did you name your ship and why?
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2013, 08:46:08 am »
Pyra: The Corkscrew; a simple google search of "duck corckscrew" will suffice.
Galleon: Ducks in a Bathtub; one of my favorite pilots described moving the galleon as maneuvering a bathtub.

Nothing else has notable names because I haven't flown them much.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #106 on: May 20, 2013, 12:20:31 pm »
I have renamed my Goldfish the "Disco Inferno." It started out as a fun little experiment in using two side mounted flair-guns, but after winning two matches with it I think I am keeping it. Flair guns swivel far enough that they can overlap with the front gun and don't lead to that "just one more shot" syndrome some engineers suffer. As a bonus I can put 15 stacks of fire on the balloon every few seconds which keeps the 2nd engineer busy and away from fixing the guns/engines.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2013, 02:23:02 am »
junker - The Whaletruck.  imagine the damage of being hit by a whale and a truck.

Offline Morbie

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 22
    • [Sexy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2013, 02:35:09 am »
I'll throw my two cents into this pool

Pyramidion: Dandy Fellow - Came up with this back in beta, stuck with the wonderful name since, basically shaped the rest of my ships (and even clan formation).
Galleon: Silly Sauce - Adjective noun to carry on the Fellow's theme.
Squid: Crumpet - At the time of naming I'd bribe my crews with virtual crumpets.
Junker: Excellent Moustache - I always wanted to put a giant moustache and monacle on the front of a junker. It has 5 flamers. No idea if it's still possible to play well. Anyone want to help test?
Spire: Unicycle - Named in honor of a coment by Mawdjulus during a match I was dual spiring with Captain Roy. "They're like dainty unicycles soaring through the sky!"
Goldfish: BLENDERFIST SHAWTGUN!? - The one ship I have that doesn't fit my theme. Long story short; Mawd and I were drunk.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2013, 10:30:13 am »
Pyramidion>Egyptian queen> cuz pyramidion sounds egyptian and it was the first evar name i came up with
Galleon>Mystic Chocolate> Yeah IDK... my group of friends and I are = Cheesy Crackers, Fishnchip, Chicken Nuggets and Captain vegemite.... so food themed :P
Goldfish>Flaming Wombat> Flamethrowers... 'nuf' said (And i always wanted to have a planetside 2 outfit called "The flaming wombats" but GOI will have to do)
Junker>We be whalers/Junky> "We be whalers" is the all harpoon loadout which is AMAZING. "Junky" cuz couldnt think of anything
Spire>DeathStar on a Stick> Because it totally resembles a death star. It deals loads of damage but its weak because they left more than one exhaust port open (Stupid storm troopers)
Squid>I haven't even looked at the squid> Yeah i haven't even piloted/bothered naming it
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:31:52 am by Cheesy Crackers »

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2013, 10:43:14 am »
Renamed my Goldfish the TreeMeister, because I count on it.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 12:37:27 pm »
The names of my ships are taken from starships in the Star Ocean series of games :)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »
Just name them all COME ON BARNY.

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »
Named my ships after late Medieval and early Renaissance era cavalry except the Junker and Galleon, who are named after the Knights Templar and Knights Hospitaller, respectively. They have names that mostly suit the roles I play with them.

Squid - Hobelar
Junker - Templar
Goldfish - Hussar
Spire - Cavalier
Pyramidion - Lancer
Galleon - Hospitaller

Offline Sonoskay

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2013, 07:20:09 pm »
IVe gone nerdy with mine and named them after pokemon. I picked pokemon of the typing i think fits them best and then picked a pokemon out of that typing that seemed to in some way fill the roll of that ship...

Junker: Goes between two names.  Kingler  becuase its my favorite pokemon... and my favorite ship.. Or Lairon  It seems to be a defensive ship and Offenively does alright. Just like steel types.

Goldfish: Goldeen. For obvious reasons I guess... I als gave it the hellhound. popping balloons and being up peoples asses.. Kinda gives me the impressoin of a Horn...

Pyramidion: Rhyhorn. Rock types  are very offenive but have good defence and health and the pyramidions hull is fairly high So it seemed fitting

Squid: Beedrill. Its delicate. easy to kill and More of a nusance than a real threat

Spire: Glalie Ice types are one of the easist things to kill in pokemon. But also are the type that do some of the most damage. Seems fitting for spire...

Galleon: Snorlax I picked more for the pokemon than the typing. Snorlax Has HUGE amount of hitpoint and Can do some serious damage in a hurry. But getting to act first is a problem. Just like the Galleon

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 07:24:33 pm by Sonoskay »

Offline Honeybadger

• Salutes: 21
    • [H♥B]
    • View Profile
    • My Stream
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2013, 12:51:19 am »
Junker: Daft Dunk: There is a youtuber named "Dunkey" and he covered Daft Punks "Get Lucky" with his song "Get Dunkey." In the comments he listed the band as "Daft Dunk." There was also a video called "Dunkey Slam House" and one by another guy called "Dunk Squad." So both are League of Legends references. And I love Daft Punk.

Pyramidian: Scalley Swagger: Came up with this one during the beta when I pretended I was a sky pirate. Came from "Scalley Wagger."

Offline Parkourwalrus

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2013, 07:17:14 pm »
Okay, here are my ship names:
Spire: dark skies bombard. Named this after the fact that i have nothing but banshee and Artemis and lumberjack on it, and that it can shoot a lot of missiles. A lot.
Junker: incendiary unicorn. An in-joke with friends, plus it has a front merc and flamers ( yes it is terrible, just because it is my flagship doesn't mean it's good. in fact that's why it's my flagship. I don't use my flagship in mere pubs. Not that I play anything but pubs.) also my flagship, if you didn't know.

Offline Ariden

• Salutes: 21
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2013, 08:41:59 pm »
Pyramidion - Bridget Blindside.
Bridget because it has a bridge-like attachment (the top deck). Blindside because it has a side without guns and the hull is exposed. I've always wished this was my real-life name although that would imply the lack of an eye.

Junker - SG Squashboard.
SG stands for side-guns. Squashboard because its a thin little ship, which the designer undoubtedly squashed for effect. Genius.

Galleon - The Skybound Wagoner.
I feel all-powerful whenever someone drives me around in a wagon and I'm holding a watergun shooting water at strangers as I'm carried down the street.

Goldfish - The Vengeful Tadpole
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:51:57 pm by Ariden »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2013, 08:41:11 pm »
Squid: Shinryaku or Black Maria

Shinryaku means "invade" and speaks of the flying style used. From Squid Girl because well, my ship is a squid. Black Maria flies as a sign of respect for the original Black Flight of WWI Royal Naval Air Service No.3 Aerodrome. RNAS pilots never got the respect they deserved compared to the RFC during WWI.

Pyramidion: Furugoori or Broken Blade, or Zukamidion

Furugoori is named after Kona Furugoori a character in Robotic's Notes. Shes a little wacky in personality and unpredictable.  Perfect for CQC and long range combo capability. Broken Blade being from the Broken Blade anime movies. Typically it runs a CQC loadout because the Delphine does not really have long range capability in the movies and relies a lot on CQC fighting. Zukamidion when Zuka is on board.

Junker: Junker Art Online

Parody of Sword Art Online. Flexible ship with never a solid build. Kinda like where SAO's characters go from swords to magic and then to guns.

Goldfish: El Psy Congroo

Rarely used, quote is from Stein's Gate. What Kyoma says as his code word.

Spire: Druaga or Fecal Matter

Druaga being from the Tower of Druaga anime and Fecal Matter because...well thats what Spires are good for right now

Galleon: Suzumiya, Fecal Flinger, Zukaflinger

Suzumiya from Haruhi Suzumiya. Fecal Flinger when I goof around with dual Jacks and pretend I'm flinging Spires at enemies. Zukaflinger when Zuka is on board.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 08:42:52 pm by Gilder »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2013, 08:10:05 am »
Goldfish - Batman
    It's the hero guns deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
Squid - Juno
    "To aid, benefit" - Irony
Galleon - Her Majesty's Navy
    Armada in a single ship, with all the maneuverability of a armada trying to occupy a single space.
Junker - Venucian Might
    Because Venus is an awesome planet. And I don't believe in S.
Pyramidion - The Pointy End
    Shameless Game of Thrones reference
Spire - Royal Rag
    I don't fly Spires.