Author Topic: 4v4 Deathmatch map  (Read 12331 times)

Offline Velvet

• Salutes: 45
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
4v4 Deathmatch map
« on: June 30, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
Don't know if this has been brought up before or is secretly planned by the devs, but a deathmatch version of Flayed Hills could be really, really fun. Not serious or particularly viable for competitive play, but the sheer carnage would be spectacular. Fleet battles would bring a whole new level to the game. Right now you get some occasional huge, entertaining battles in Flayed Hills but the Crazy King format means there are rarely full on engagements, and matches are often quite long and a fairly large commitment to jump into. The deathmatch mode would have more frequent engagements that involve a larger proportion of the teams, and allow more casual, faster games that would hopefully fill up a little more quickly. And did I already say "sheer carnage"?

Right now 4v4 isn't getting enough love. Put the "fun" back in "lag"!

Offline Richard P

• Salutes: 3
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
    • Fleet of Sodom blog
Re: 4v4 Deathmatch map
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »
I also thought about 4v4 version of Fight over Firnfield and, maybe, even Water Hazard. I'm not sure Firnfield is big enough, however, but I think it won't hurt if Muse try it. I think it won't be worse then 3v3 versions of Fjords, Canyons and Dunes.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:15:12 pm »
4v4 Partian Rumble...lol, it would be awesome. So much crashing, so much velcroing!!

One big issue is they mentioned they were at the limits with the engine on Flayed. Large map + all the players and ships is a lot for the engine to handle. Now that could change. But just run Galleons on Flayed and you'll quickly wish the ship was banned from 4v4. They literally will slow the game down to a snail pace.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:18:28 pm »
And to make matters worse, Flayed is extremely open and would without a doubt be a sniping map in DM... Which means at least one Galleon per team.

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:51 pm »
And to make matters worse, Flayed is extremely open and would without a doubt be a sniping map in DM... Which means at least one Galleon per team.

ikr, I thought about mentioning about how it's important to encourage sniper builds because they're not seen enough in competitive gameplay right now... :P
Maybe another map would be more appropriate, or more canyons could be added to a Flayed DM.

4v4 Partian Rumble...lol, it would be awesome. So much crashing, so much velcroing!!
And so much fun!

One big issue is they mentioned they were at the limits with the engine on Flayed. Large map + all the players and ships is a lot for the engine to handle. Now that could change. But just run Galleons on Flayed and you'll quickly wish the ship was banned from 4v4. They literally will slow the game down to a snail pace.
well, if they think the engine can just about handle Flayed, surely a smaller map with 8 ships could just about work? I know the galleon issue.. but just as with Flayed Hills, I think it should be OK to rely on player goodwill not to run multiple galleons on the proposed massive map.

Offline Puggerugger

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 05:36:32 pm »
IN my first 4v4 in a good ship I shet bricks. So fun. A galleon flew over our heads before being immediate followed by our pyrad. We then got our left engine sniped so we went low and into the clouds and emerged beside our attacker, that we then quickly disabled with the manticore and then BOOM the same pyrad from before, out of nowhere, smashed into it and bang, match won.

4v4 man.... I imagine it would be like a SWBF 2 space battle but with 2 times the everything

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:40:06 pm »
ikr, I thought about mentioning about how it's important to encourage sniper builds because they're not seen enough in competitive gameplay right now... :P
Maybe another map would be more appropriate, or more canyons could be added to a Flayed DM.

Flayed is a bit too big to be an ambushy map, it'd end up being a game of hide and seek.

Now if Canyon Ambush went 4v4, then I'd be happy :D

Offline Velvet

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 05:45:24 pm »
Flayed is a bit too big to be an ambushy map, it'd end up being a game of hide and seek.

Now if Canyon Ambush went 4v4, then I'd be happy :D
Any 4v4 deathmatch map would be great! Multiple 4v4 deathmatch maps would be amazing!

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 12:44:21 am »
Want to stop sniping matches...ban Dunes entirely from competitive play. Course then we'll still snipe on all the others just because we can. :P

IMO, we need more maps like Rumble and Canyon. Ones with lots of opportunities to utilize hit n run tactics and employ actual flanking strategies. In fact, if there ever was a tourney with an emphasis on that, I'd be the first to show interest.

Offline Richard P

• Salutes: 3
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
    • Fleet of Sodom blog
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:07:47 am »
One team just have to hide into jaggernaut o dunes, to prevent the sniping match.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:24:56 pm »
Think of how quickly a 3v3 turns into a meat grinder with 3 captains who can't regroup if they are not spawned together. The carnage of the first clash would be epic, but afterwards I can just see a bunch of 3v1's or 4v2's where one side gets stomped. Dramatic turnarounds happen in 2v2 matches because one ship fleeing for its life can suddenly turn the tables if it meets up with an ally, and the other team got separated in the chase.

Perhaps if the entire team were to respawn as one block instead of individually there could be more fleet on fleet action.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:36 pm »
One team just have to hide into jaggernaut o dunes, to prevent the sniping match.

Actually thats how sniping matches on Dunes boil down to. It doesn't prevent them, just encourages. Map is too open and the naut promotes hiding in that spot because the other spots do not have as good of a view around their edges. If we had the sandstorm on Scrap passing through it or at least some clouds drifting through it, might see some changes since teams could then ride the cloud cover and get in close enough to chop up a camping team.

To be fair, Canyon could use some clouds drifting too since it's prone to sniper battles as well. Only Rumble at this moment you really can't snipe on. Just too much debris and ways to hide. There are spots in the outskirts but there are plenty of clouds teams can ride in on and the wind will muck up a good position if you get to that edge of the world spot.

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »

Yea..... no. This tactic was actually my first major sniping tactic I employed, back in the days where the galleon meta was quad flak.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:16 pm »
Quad flak Galleon: able to wreck anything and everything from absolutely any range on the map.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 01:31:03 pm »
That ship was crazy.  It was deadly at long range making it an enormous threat, but if you tried to approach it at close range it was absoflippinquackitysmackity ridiculous.  Insta kills within 1000 Meters. 

Man that gun used to be fun.