Author Topic: So what precisely are we getting from the adventure mode kickstarter?  (Read 14159 times)

Offline Kriegson

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
Me and my buddies are a bit confused regarding it. Just a PvE horde mode? An actual level based campaign of sorts  (Fly from point A to point B fighting along the way) the open world sans the factions for now?  Are they still figuring it out as we speak?

Offline Typhi

• Salutes: 10
    • [TFoD]
    • View Profile
Here is some more info :)

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1007.0.html

In short: They are not really making an open world MMO, but probably more like an instanced world. :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:38:11 am by Typhi »

Offline Kriegson

• View Profile
Ty but again, rather vague...seems like they don't really know exactly what they're making either to be fair =/
I never expected a fully open world, but this could range from lobby and world instances like Phantasy star online (not bad at all imo as long as the world bits are well done) to some kind of really crappy "Click on this place on map and get an option, click an option, click on another place, click on option, oh there's a player! Create 1v1 match. Match over, click on map..."

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
I'm expecting 50 Shades of PvE, at least until it's up and running and Muse decides how to progress the funding towards the end goal of a more immersive and complex state of Adventure Mode.

I don't expect to have to wait for a player for a match, I expect there to be PvE scenarios where you may play on your own, or alongside other PC team mates, or sometimes against PC opponents (depending how the factions work out).  I expect a lot of cooperative PvE.  If PvP was completely absent from AM (but still retaining the present Skirmish Mode) I would not be disappointed.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
I'm expecting it work kinda like planetside does, with a twist, cause you might not conquer territories for your faction, but you still help them starve out the other ones, depending on their politics. I'd like to see both epic PvE and PvP battles, lacking either one would hurt the game for me tbh, cause what's the point of joining opposing factions if you don't fight the players of the enemy ones at all and of course just PvP would leave the game pretty empty and we would never get to see the mega-boss ships.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Ty but again, rather vague...seems like they don't really know exactly what they're making either to be fair =/
I never expected a fully open world, but this could range from lobby and world instances like Phantasy star online (not bad at all imo as long as the world bits are well done) to some kind of really crappy "Click on this place on map and get an option, click an option, click on another place, click on option, oh there's a player! Create 1v1 match. Match over, click on map..."

Seems like a rather bold accusation from someone not on the development team. Almost seems like an assumption based off of pre-existing doubts built up in your head.

Offline Kriegson

• View Profile

Seems like a rather bold accusation from someone not on the development team. Almost seems like an assumption based off of pre-existing doubts built up in your head.
Who is accusing or assuming? I'm doing neither, I'm pondering possibilities not hurling assumptions and/or accusations.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
What AM might be was discussed extensively during the Kickstarter project (there's a big thread on it, go find it).  There has always been a degree of ambiguity as it was uncertain to the very end how far along the path to full AM mode the project would fund.  If full stretch goals were achieved then AM would be developed in full.  As it is the project only met the funding for an extended PvE mode with the potential for further development later on of/when funding permits.  There is no reason for Muse to get into the specifics of the game mechanics this early in the development cycle.

If you're a Kickstarter Project Backer, then all this was made very clear before the project concluded.  No one can say they backed the project and weren't told of the ambiguities.  Of course, not everyone may have understood this.  In fact it's quite clear from the discussion threads at the time that some people were backing the project and didn't understand what the project was about.  That's their problem, the information was presented at the time.

If you're not a Kickstarter Project Backer - then what does it matter?  You'll have a better idea of what AM is before you're asked to pay for it.

Your phrasing, particularly in your second post is extremely negative.  asuitandty is perfectly correct in the observation that you're making assumptions.  Your tone is verging on insulting to Muse and the Dev Team in the way that you suggest they might be intending on passing off a "really crappy" end result.

Offline Kriegson

• View Profile
So "Realistic expectations and comparisons" apparently means "Insulting, accusatory and negative."
I paid attention at the kickstarter and while lofty goals pertaining to the economy, NPC enemies and their AI and other such bits were spoken about, very little of the actual mechanics of the world were discussed, which Is what I am curious about.
You could quite simply answer my op with "Figuring it out as we speak" as I suggested they may be.

I suggested both positive and negative potentials in this regard. If the mere mention of negative insinuation offends you, perhaps you should stay off the internet. On the other hand if you want to join in speculation by all means do so, but do not be a hypocrite by accusing me of the very things you are doing.

To assume is to simply create your own expectation and stick with it. I am not saying I know what the game is like, ergo I am not assuming, I am theorizing. I am not saying "This is _____" assuming I know what it is, I'm stating "This could be _____" proposing theories, and in my opinion realistic theories.
They have stated it will not be open world wandering like an MMO, and with that in mind I have referred to existing games of a similar world system that do not use open worlds to navigate, the best example in my mind being phantasy star online as an idea of how it could be handled.

Not how I expect it to be. That would be an assumption.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:08:27 am by Kriegson »

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
.. some kind of really crappy ..
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 11:26:48 am »
Yes you're negative.  You have stated that the possibility of a "crappy" solution is within the range of your expectation as regards the game and Muse's capabilities.  That sounds pretty insulting, given the great game that the development team have already produced and continue to develop.  If your expectations are so low, why are you here?

Personally, my range of expectations from Muse for Adventure Mode ranges from "Fantastic!" to "Awesome!"

I have no idea how PSO handles this type of mechanic, but based on what I'm familiar with a GW type system of handling inter-town travel and instanced PvE encounters would be a practical way of addressing the issue.  It's also adaptable to a limited vs. fully explorable town simulation.  Whatever system is developed will have to cope with the situation where players are in the wrong place in relation to their online crew/team mates.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: So what precisely are we getting from the adventure mode kickstarter?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 11:32:40 am »
Ok, ok, let's take a step back here folks, no need to get snippy.

The truth of the matter is right now we have very little details known to us. I'm sure Muse has ideas planned out, and I'm sure as they get down to making it we'll see where it's going, but right now speculating is, well, pretty pointless :)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:33:06 am »
Lets try to keep things civil guys. Thanks.

Offline Kriegson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 12:01:59 pm »
Yes you're negative.  You have stated that the possibility of a "crappy" solution is within the range of your expectation as regards the game and Muse's capabilities.  That sounds pretty insulting, given the great game that the development team have already produced and continue to develop.  If your expectations are so low, why are you here?

Personally, my range of expectations from Muse for Adventure Mode ranges from "Fantastic!" to "Awesome!"

I have no idea how PSO handles this type of mechanic, but based on what I'm familiar with a GW type system of handling inter-town travel and instanced PvE encounters would be a practical way of addressing the issue.  It's also adaptable to a limited vs. fully explorable town simulation.  Whatever system is developed will have to cope with the situation where players are in the wrong place in relation to their online crew/team mates.

Negative and positive =/= negative. Balance = Neutral. I try to keep realistic expectations so I don't get disappointed, but I'm invested in seeing how things turn out, I paid for the game after all I would like to see where it goes.

That aside, PSO generally had players starting in a sort of hub town (based on where they were in the story) with all the bits one might need. Stores, trading, and more importantly other players. It was an area for social interaction and "maintenance" of a sort in selling junk, upgrading gear, so on etc (They also had housing with a good bit of customization AND functions, but I'm not expecting that here).
Players would group up and select an instance of the world they wished to enter (unlocked via story progression and replayable for side missions) after which they would be teleported to a linear set of "rooms" which comprised each level and would lead to the next. At any time one could leave for the hub, and come back at the start of the section they began.

As I recall anyhow, It's been a while and while it may not sound like much due to the level design and world building it usually resulted in a fun and entertaining experience with relatively low server requirements.

Gw (original) Could work I suppose, and the concept is quite similar. In both, you will not encounter players outside your group in the outside "world" unless an event calls for it. Rather than a persistent open world, it is a series of instances. But done well it can provide a good experience with less server load and necessary programming.

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »
If I understand your description of PSO correctly, I think that the GW system would work better and allow a greater movement range across the map.  The downside is a suspension of disbelief when you instantly teleport between Lion's Arch and Droknar's Forge because you've a guild member in Drok's that can't raise a party for the next mission.

I haven't tried GW2 to understand how their persistent world works with encounters.  I was turned off the GW franchise when they started wrecking GW (it started with henchmen).

I think for GOIO I would prefer instanced encounters within a persistent narrative.  But I could be biased against persistent world encounters as I find the whole mid-game joining experience of Skirmish Mode to be disruptive to the pint of making the game unplayable at times.

Offline Kriegson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 02:09:56 pm »
If I understand your description of PSO correctly, I think that the GW system would work better and allow a greater movement range across the map.  The downside is a suspension of disbelief when you instantly teleport between Lion's Arch and Droknar's Forge because you've a guild member in Drok's that can't raise a party for the next mission.

I haven't tried GW2 to understand how their persistent world works with encounters.  I was turned off the GW franchise when they started wrecking GW (it started with henchmen).

I think for GOIO I would prefer instanced encounters within a persistent narrative.  But I could be biased against persistent world encounters as I find the whole mid-game joining experience of Skirmish Mode to be disruptive to the pint of making the game unplayable at times.

I could see the system working with social areas in town hubs, to leave you head to port and "board your ship" which prompts all team members to ready up and upon completing, starts to load the "path" the captain has selected.

Each "Path" is a relatively linear map with randomized encounters, but a set theme, or even designated map for some iconic locations (To include bosses). Various "Paths" could have special events that occur from time to time to spice things up that are noted on the world map.

I could see it working in such a way pretty well. Yeah conjecture is "pointless" but there's little else to do regarding the mode aside from wait, so why not?