Author Topic: Beginners games  (Read 11935 times)

Offline MacBernick

• Salutes: 0
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Beginners games
« on: June 23, 2013, 06:07:53 am »
Hi !

I can't join beginners games as a lvl 1 pilot, is it because I'm lvl 4 gunner ?

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners games
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 am »
Simple answer: Yes.

I'm not sure that's an ideal system though... Probably better would be if it only let people into beginner games if the level of their currently selected role was 1-3, whatever level they had on other roles. It could prevent switching roles to too-high-level ones once in a game lobby too.
Then anyone could practice roles they haven't used so much without being affected by those they have.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 07:06:20 am »
Quite a good idea you had there Moo!

Offline MacBernick

• Salutes: 0
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:33 am »
Thanks for your answer. I can't imagine myself joining a 'serious' game with my current pilot skills.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:42:37 pm »
Well, imagine I played engineer, but I did a fair bit of gunning and I knew my way around all the ships. I knew how to spot and when to repair my gun, and how to use ammo. If I hopped on a goldfish as gunner, I'd be much better than a powder monkey first timer.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 04:23:35 am »
honestly though, you are prrly much better off joining a normal game. the only real practice you get in beginner games is where the guns are on a ship and how it handles, which you can do in the sandbox normal practice mode with the moving/live fire targets.  just join up on a normal game and make it known that you are looking to learn, people will help you out and you will get better so much faster (plus pick up little tricks and quirks in the game that only the more experienced people know). ask and you shall receive.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 08:00:05 am »
honestly though, you are prrly much better off joining a normal game. the only real practice you get in beginner games is where the guns are on a ship and how it handles, which you can do in the sandbox normal practice mode with the moving/live fire targets.

I know that you cannot drop in and watch beginner matches Jaeger, but don't sell our newbies short... There have been some mighty fine matches in the lower levels. Sure it might not be meta, but they make for interesting matches :)

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 06:45:14 am »
Yeah it's fine, don't mind if people start raging at you because you're new to piloting. I mean a few days ago I tried flying my first squid around and yes, i was completely hopeless/terrible/incompetent but it was pretty fun nonetheless :P
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. And what does kill you will just make you respawn so you get stronger anyway.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 06:46:10 am »
I know that you cannot drop in and watch beginner matches Jaeger, but don't sell our newbies short... There have been some mighty fine matches in the lower levels. Sure it might not be meta, but they make for interesting matches :)
I still haven't found out, what's "Meta"

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:06 pm »
I still haven't found out, what's "Meta"

In relation to Guns of Icarus Online, meta refers to gat/flak Junkers and Pyramidions. (Especially Pyramidions.)

I may be wrong here, but outside GoI, meta refers to using particularly effective strategies or loadouts in order to win. (Such as using an over-powered weapon in CoD or --ironically enough-- Meta Knight in SSBB)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:27 pm »
The second definition also applies to GoIO. Gatflak happens to be a big part of the current meta, but it doesn't necessarily define it. Double howitzers used to be the meta (dear god...), double Artemises, quad flak Galleons, etc. There are also loadouts other than gatflak that are currently meta: sniper Galleon, to a certain extent hwacha fish, mortar Pyra, and so on.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:28:58 pm by N-Sunderland »

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:38 pm »
... to a certain extent hwacha fish...

I think I've seen more lumber fish than Hwacha fish.

Maybe that's because I fly a Hawcha fish and I make DAMN sure my gunner shoots first.