Author Topic: A compeditive Cluster-Duck - CEsports and Torneys  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
A compeditive Cluster-Duck - CEsports and Torneys
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:03:23 am »
So two things are indisputable

1. We have a Glut of proposed tournaments

2. CE-sports is going to die unless some common sense is used.

I don't have a problem with 2 personally, but 1 threatens to stretch the competitive scene thin and that isn't good for anybody. However lets presume we cant solve 1 like grown ups (i.e. all play in the same event), its possible that the metrics created by CE-sports (presumed they're handled correctly) could give meaning to a disjointed competitive scene.

However the way CE-sports *SEEMS* to be going there are too many matches counted for it to be meaningful. It would be much better if each participating team/clan/registered entity can only have 3 matches counted per a week. This would allow for the metrics to better track progression and give a realistic comparison between registered entities.

Of course personally I'd prefer Muse to just endorse an official Torny and everyone play that (LOOKING AT YOU BUBBLES), but whatever.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: A compeditive Cluster-Duck - CEsports and Torneys
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:54 am »
... 1 threatens to stretch the competitive scene thin and that isn't good for anybody. However lets presume we cant solve 1 like grown ups (i.e. all play in the same event) ...

... It would be much better if each participating team/clan/registered entity can only have 3 matches counted per a week. This would allow for the metrics to better track progression and give a realistic comparison between registered entities. ...

... Of course personally I'd prefer Muse to just endorse an official Torny and everyone play that (LOOKING AT YOU BUBBLES), but whatever.

There was originally a proposed 3-scrimmage limit, and I believe it was scrapped, due to community concern. Check the posts for "Introducing Community eSports".

Not everyone is available at "COGs Prime Time". Having only one community event is downright limiting. If you'd like to read me ranting about this fact, check through my post history. I'm not about to do it again here, although I still feel exactly the same way; incredibly frustrated.

There will always be the availability for a duck team to participate in every single event. Perhaps not the paddling, brood, etc. of course. However your clan is large enough, the single largest body recruited directly from this game if I am correct. There is no way I believe that you cannot assemble a four or eight man team from your ranks for any tournament at any time. Having less events is more of a burden for smaller clans that simply do not have the numbers. I'm not sure what your issue is. If it's that there is a good chance that your specific team won't be able to make all events, again please see my post history for rants regarding not being able to make ANY events.

Of course you are allowed to have concerns, and this is the proper place to raise them. I am also allowed to hold my own opinions; If there are new events/systems you do not like, simply do not participate in them.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:47 pm »
Without derailing, I'm essentially arguing for a focused competitive play that wont fracture or at least will mitigate the fracture to the community.

However dragonmere I've always thought you've had a point about the cogs times. You shouldn't be punished for being unable to make it, and neither should any other team. It has surprised me that the cogs has not adopted an "Out of Time" system whereby if adequate notice is given AND it can be worked out with the other team then the match could be played out of time, at a time convenient to both parties - saved and post edited with commentary.

Obviously this system isn't perfect as the team being asked could be the type to say truthfully or untruthfully "we can only play Saturday"

But whatever, my point is I'm advocating for one system NOT necessarily one time.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:52:06 pm »
Well then. Perhaps in my usual fit of anger about match times, I misconstrued your message. I'm just sick of the argument/mentality that the COGs is the most important event or the only one that matters. If you are in fact advocating one central event that would be accessible to all players in all time slots, then thats something I fully support. Salute, good sir.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:34:33 am »
The latest influx of tournaments being arranged is becoming very hard to keep track of. I'm also aware of the drama that's been creeping it's way into the community, though I prefer to keep myself excluded from that. I don't care how or why a tournament is set up the way it is, I just play for the fun of competing against the top teams. That said, I think it's high time an official competitive scene came together. If MUSE doesn't have the time or resources to fit one into the game itself, then I feel like the heads of the clans and tournament creators get together and figure something out in a calm and sensibly thought out manner.

The lack of agreement and input into who flies, and who doesn't, and what you can or cannot do needs to be discussed and brought to a decision. Perhaps a universal standard for tournament rules and regulations. If someone wants to run a tournament outside of the proposed "official" competitive scene, then they can apply the same rules as a guideline if they want.

tl;dr:
I'm not for getting rid of community events, but it feels like things are "too unofficial." The tournaments currently are many and all around the same time, are hard to keep up with, and are hard to understand in terms of rules, and seeding. Also, the general "weight" of winning in a tournament feels like it is lacking.