Author Topic: O'clock Compass  (Read 13129 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
O'clock Compass
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:13:18 pm »
I would like to see a second compass below the North, South, East, West one that shows orientation relative to the ship. I would prefer this compass to be labeled according to the clock (12 o'clock fore, 3 o'clock starboard, 6 o'clock aft, 9 o'clock port), but wouldn't mind a different labeling system so long as it is consistent. 

I would like to get better giving orientations with the o'clock system but I get a little mixed up trying to count down from twelve to refer to the port side. Also I don't know if the crew is familiar with the system. Adding a new GUI element would help make sure every one is on the same page.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: O'clock Compass
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:28:19 pm »
Perhaps I'm being incredibly dense here, but how exactly would that work better than calling cardinal directions to your crew? "Enemy sighted North-Northeast. Get the spot and open fire, monkeys!" has always worked fine for me.

Offline JaegerDelta

• Salutes: 16
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 02:40:13 pm »
i think another compass would just clutter things up. the absolute compass already on is more than adequate if you have to convey a direction for movement, targets at range, and ally position. if the enemy is right on top of you your crew should be able to see it and directions like left right front behind, or their nautical equivalents, work just as well if not better than using a clock layout

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:46:39 pm »
The whole idea of o'clock system is that you don't need a compass to use it because the ship is the reference. When you say for example 4 o'clock everybody instantly know where it is without searching for any compass or other device. Those are just 12 numbers if you have an analog watch it's not hard to remember. Having a compass with o'clock numbers would be just pointless IMHO.

BTW personally I hate relative directions because they are just... relative. They change really fast. I can say I see enemy at 2 o'clock but 3 seconds later my ship can turn or the enemy can change his position. It often leads to misunderstandings like:
- Enemy 10 o'clock!
- I don't see anyone.
- Because now he is 7 o'clock.
I always order my crew to use absolute compass directions.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:52:42 pm »
I am proposing it as more of a crutch to get over my inability to call o'clock directions properly. When on a forward facing gun hearing "target 10 o'clock high" means turn the gun up and left where as the same direction on a side gun means turn the gun up and right. I like to give directions relative to ship orientation since I can't be sure my crew knows to check the compass. My current standard is front/rear-left/right- high/level/low, which feels a little clunky.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 02:58:53 pm »
I gotta confess that I don't quite like too many things being shown on your screen. That just doesn't fit in there.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:22:18 am »
Serving on Zill's ship has taught me to appreciate "port" and "starboard" distinctions.
In my experience, it is more useful to shout at your crew where you want them to be, rather than where the enemy is.

If I am the one who spots the enemy (and I'm flying) I try to should out the cardinal direction, followed by "portside guns!" (usually left-side guns, though that can be super confusing if you're facing back).

I think the solution to this is for you to practice calling relative directions. ;)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
Who needs a clock compass if you know your nautical terminology?

Simplify to:
- Dead ahead
- Port/starboard bow
- Port/starboard beam
- Port/starboard quarter
- Astern

And that's about as accurate as needed.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:03 pm »
A clock compass could help to the solidify using times for calling out. However I have never needed anything beyond

front
front right/left
right/left
back right/left
back

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »
A clock compass could help to the solidify using times for calling out. However I have never needed anything beyond

front
front right/left
right/left
back right/left
back

Same here. I like to keep it simple. Things like cardinal directions just trigger a slow response while the crew figures out which way to turn.

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 05:18:06 pm »
Hmm, when I first spot or re-engage a second target, I'll call the compass direction. Following that I'll use right side etc. I find that's all I need, and while relative directions are nice to have, I find the accuracy of a clock system is unneeded if you have already attained that level of accuracy via a compass point. However, I do see the advantage it brings if you are engaging multiple opponents at different times- for instance, an unmarked opponent could approach from the rear, while you are facing another to the front. Rather than call out SSE, for example, you could cut out the mental process and say 'Pyra on our 6'. Bearing in mind for this example, 6 is a terrible number to use, and the use of a secondary clock radial would only find usage in unorthodox calls, such as 5, 2, etc . However, this degree of accuracy isn't needed if the target is already engaged, as you don't require that extra level of accuracy, as the general position of the target is known. It's only when the target is rapidly introduced to a preoccupied and potentially unaware crew that this system would be beneficial.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 06:09:21 pm »
Hamster if you have trouble counting down then count up from 6 or 9. 6 is on your ass and nine is directly left.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:28 pm »
I normally work in degrees offset from front for my armature game development projects , it is just easier to compute via dot and cross product and easier to understand in the code if I write:

if(angleToTarget < -10) TurnLeft();
if(angleToTarget > 10) TurnRight();

But I fear I will be even less understood if I start yelling "target negative 45 degrees off front" I was asking for a universal orientation system, and the most common is the clock compass. From the replies I gather most of you use the absolute compass. I will endeavor to do the same.