Author Topic: Engagement length  (Read 43597 times)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Engagement length
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Eh, I don't see the need initially to also increase the reload, else we go overboard. I prefer slight tweaks that open up lots of options, like the clip idea. It keeps gatling as it is in terms of role and use, keeps heavy useful but not the sole option, and would make it less pray and spray, requiring more skill.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 01:10:28 pm »
Sounds logical. I really like it!

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 01:19:27 pm »
The arc might be a problem too since you may keep on firing the gatling on a pyra for example even if the enemy is almost at 180° on one of your sides. I agree though that the range is a real problem.

Heavy clip is used in many guns - but it's pretty useless in others like heavy flak, lumberjack, merc, mortar... So it's pretty even. Nerfing heavy clip would lead to a dominance of these weapons which, after all, would lead to another balance issue.

I guess you are right, I was mostly thinking light weapons, but you make a valid point and it's nice to see you agree on the range of this weapon being a major problem. I'd like to see more piercing options soon tbh and the gatling changed ot be the CQC option for armor striping.

Also liking Zill's idea with the reduced clip size for the gatling.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:21:34 pm by EchoLG »

Offline Chrinus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:46 pm »
+1 for reduced clip size on heavy. A good compromise that makes the penalty work out well while not causing a severe domino effect.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 02:31:07 pm »
+1 for reduced clip size on heavy. A good compromise that makes the penalty work out well while not causing a severe domino effect.

Just to be clear, I'm referring to lowering the clip (slightly) of the gatling only, not heavy clip. Too many guns still utilize it with balanced results to warrant nerfing it like that.

My opinion of course.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »
I'm with Zill.
As said, nerfing heavy would actually to a domino effect.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »
First of all, Pickle, I don't think your idea is bad. It's simple, which is good! But it is based on the fact (as the gat is used nowadays) that the gat is a far range weapon. But with your idea it'd still be used like that, almost no one would even use greased or something like that. Which is a shame I think.

It's not long-range.  Long-range is the Mercury.  The Gatling is a mid-range component-killer and armour-stripper.  The only complaint seems to be with it's armour-stripping abilities, so any fix must be directed at that aspect only.

I would hate to see the range or component-killing abilities of the Gatling diminished - it's a significant counter to the Goldfish forward weapon mount, and is moderately effective against the gundeck of a Galleon.  Tinkering too much with the Gatling risks upsetting balance elsewhere.

The Gatling is not overwhelmingly OP, it's perhaps a touch OP and proving very popular due to this, ease of use and synergy with the Flak.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2013, 04:35:13 pm »
If we had more piercing, the gattling would be used less and wouldn't be seen as a problem, it's not overpowered, it's popular.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »
You have more piercing though. It's the merc.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 12:10:46 am »
I wouldn't be too surprised if the gatling gun had just a bit less rounds, but there is a line between enough...and too much with such a gun.  Saying that the Gatling Gun is boss with incendiary rounds, too many removed would take away my favourite round to use in the gun...

As with the heavy clip, reducing the clip size would hurt just about every gun...however...reducing firing rate may not.  It makes sense that a heavy round should be fed through the clip at a slower rate to reduce damage to the gun, let alone explain the lack of spread it would create at the same time (because it's being fired at a slower pace.)

Just my two cents on the heavy clip

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2013, 07:18:06 am »
For those who are familiar with Battlefield 3, Heavy clip is like a gun attachment. You nerf that and it throws off weapons behaviour for all the other guns in the game.

So if you want to nerf the gattling, then nerf the gattling only. There's seem to be lots of good ideas thrown around by everyone else, why not use a bit of all of them? Damage per round, rate of fire, magazine size, arc, max range. All of them can be tweaked to lessen its effectiveness.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2013, 09:21:43 am »
For those who are familiar with Battlefield 3, Heavy clip is like a gun attachment. You nerf that and it throws off weapons behaviour for all the other guns in the game.

So if you want to nerf the gattling, then nerf the gattling only. There's seem to be lots of good ideas thrown around by everyone else, why not use a bit of all of them? Damage per round, rate of fire, magazine size, arc, max range. All of them can be tweaked to lessen its effectiveness.

Tweaking everything a little bit has proven in the past to overdo it in terms of nerfing. Seeing as how the gatling is one of two dedicated piercing weapons, anything over a small change to one aspect would potentially throw balance way out of whack.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:40 am »
That's why I've suggested only dropping the Piercing damage per round.. that only affects the problematic armour-stripping over-ability whilst leaving all other weapons unaffected.  And has no impact on the effectiveness of Incendiary, etc. with the Gatling or the other tactical uses the Gatling is put to.

Re-balancing has to be done carefully, in small increments and whilst thinking about the unintended consequences of wide-reaching changes.

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2013, 03:31:47 pm »
I want to know what would happen in a match without piercing weapons. Anyone want to  try it some time?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »
I'd imagine you'd see a lot of carronades, which seem to be the best bet for armour stripping after piercing weapons.