Author Topic: Tournament idea proposal  (Read 24483 times)

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Tournament idea proposal
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:33:15 am »
I've had a really cooky idea for a tournament, that I'd be willing to organise, provided that there'd be enought interest.
The idea being: random handicaps.
Each match would have had a random handycap - it could be same or diffirent handicap for both teams (team A have handicap 1 and team handicap 2).
Handicaps would be for example:
  • No Mercury Field guns (merc's)
  • No Lumberjack Heavy Mortar's
  • At least 1 gunner per ship
  • At least 1 barking dog Carrorade
  • At least 1 squid
  • No pyramidion

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
Re: Tournament idea proposal
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:42:38 am »
lol @ the notion of having a gunner being a handicap. I'd love to participate, considering Merry Men use all of these "handicaps" in normal play.  ;)

• Community Ambassador
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »
Very versatile and all around teams would obviously be at an advantage in such a tournament. - gunners are slowly getting use again, but to some tems it would still be a sort of handicap ^^

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:14:13 pm »
If you enforced all those "handicaps" it'd make for a game the streamers would like, at least ;D

Offline DMaximus

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 28
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »
I think a better term would be restrictions. And personally, I'd go for broader categories than just "Don't use weapon A". Things like No Long-Range weapons, Only shatter damage, etc. Regardless of what you do though, assigning random restrictions to each side is very likely to make the two sides unbalanced. It would be more fair to give both sides the same restrictions.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:53 pm »
well it would be something diffrent from the norm, lets say 4 teams sign up, you can make a decent best of 3 tournament in 1 day.
if more teams sign up the better :)

• Community Ambassador
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »
I think a better term would be restrictions. And personally, I'd go for broader categories than just "Don't use weapon A". Things like No Long-Range weapons, Only shatter damage, etc. Regardless of what you do though, assigning random restrictions to each side is very likely to make the two sides unbalanced. It would be more fair to give both sides the same restrictions.

Peronal prefference: rather giving broader restrictions, i'd give more speciffic restrictions per match. I'm thinking of giving idealy at least 5 day warning to teams under witch handycaps they were going to play under (it would admittedly make the random generation of handicaps, arbitrary, but it would still force teams to build around those restrictions).

The reason I haven't posted full rulles is becouse this idea is so far from the norm, and thus need some consesus on witch particulars are good.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
I think a good way to go about the restriction pool without it getting opinionated is a thread where each person can add one restriction to the pool. Then draw from those randomly for your matches.

• Community Ambassador
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:54 pm »
I think a good way to go about the restriction pool without it getting opinionated is a thread where each person can add one restriction to the pool. Then draw from those randomly for your matches.
That's a good idea, but we want to decide first how broad the restrictions are.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »
Specific ones are easier to enforce. I mean, who defines "long range?" It'll get unnecessary arguments started.

• Community Ambassador
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »
Tehnicaly MUSE defines long range (witch does not consist of LJ and Merc, both of witch go into Very Long category) by experience I'd say weapons with max range of 1000-1500M, but I know what you mean, otherwise someone will suggest a restriction to restrict "meta" builds or something like that.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »
the problem with a fight the meta tourney, is that we then create new meta.... so then we wouldn't be able to play that meta, forcing us to create even more new meta.... It's a vicious cycle!

this except with a "No meta" restriction :P

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 03:56:22 pm »
I like the idea, but only if there's a larger list of handicaps, or if those ones are better thought out. Looking at the ones you have it looks like the tournament would be nothing but gatt+flak.

If you put some trust in the players, you could do something like Iron Chef, where the two teams are given a theme which has to be the primary concept of each ship. For instance, today's theme is.... FLECHETTE! Or, today's theme is... AREA OF EFFECT!!! Then give each team a few minutes to plan their build, and they go to work.

Offline BADFOOT

• Salutes: 8
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »
While I believe the idea would need a good deal of refinement to get working properly, primarily in the list of "handicaps". I think you have a general concept that could be really fun. Work up a bunch of different handicaps, pull a couple out of a hat on your stream day of event (for the drama of it all don'tcha know). Be even cooler if neither team knew what the other teams handicap was. Lots of honor system involved, but I have a good deal of respect for most of the competitive players I have met in that regard. And watch a team restricted to all flamethrowers fighting a team that has no pilot roles available. It could be a glorious afternoon. I would happily participate.

• Community Ambassador
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 05:02:22 pm »
I like the idea, but only if there's a larger list of handicaps, or if those ones are better thought out. Looking at the ones you have it looks like the tournament would be nothing but gatt+flak.

If you put some trust in the players, you could do something like Iron Chef, where the two teams are given a theme which has to be the primary concept of each ship. For instance, today's theme is.... FLECHETTE! Or, today's theme is... AREA OF EFFECT!!! Then give each team a few minutes to plan their build, and they go to work.

Those handicaps were just possible examples. One could just as easily add no gat or no flak or no hawacha, etc - in fact if this is going foward extra handicaps are going to be added to the pool of possible handicaps, those in the list were written there just to give you the idea of what kind of handycaps i had in mind.
Iron captain could be a goot alternative too.

While I believe the idea would need a good deal of refinement to get working properly, primarily in the list of "handicaps". I think you have a general concept that could be really fun. Work up a bunch of different handicaps, pull a couple out of a hat on your stream day of event (for the drama of it all don'tcha know). Be even cooler if neither team knew what the other teams handicap was. Lots of honor system involved, but I have a good deal of respect for most of the competitive players I have met in that regard. And watch a team restricted to all flamethrowers fighting a team that has no pilot roles available. It could be a glorious afternoon. I would happily participate.

Those handicaps were just possible examples. One could just as easily add no gat or no flak or no hawacha, etc - in fact if this is going foward extra handicaps are going to be added to the pool of possible handicaps, those in the list were written there just to give you the idea of what kind of handycaps i had in mind.

As for making it weekly or daily thing - i'd require help of CeSports for streaming at least.I'll probably have to make a pool to (actual a lot of pools) to see what people would prefer. Pulling random people into random teams would be a logistical nightmare - unless I get help from muse, best soulution would be to take random draw from regional chat by asking people to PM me and select first 32 of those and randomise from that.