Author Topic: Voice Chat Toggle Option  (Read 9699 times)

Offline Audie Murphy

• Salutes: 5
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
Voice Chat Toggle Option
« on: June 11, 2013, 05:42:31 pm »
This is a logistical suggestion concerning voice chat. I know Muse uses Steam's voice chat, so I don't know whether this is a thing they can do, but...

Can there be an option to eliminate the need to hold down a keyboard button in order to voice chat, and make it so you just have to press it once to turn it on, and press it again to turn it off?

This would help me stay immersed in the game by not making me feel a bit like I'm fighting the controls, and it would be handy to have.

I know there's also guys who's keyboards can only register 4 keys being pressed simultaneously, and I'm sure they would love it too.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
Re: Voice Chat Toggle Option
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:31:54 pm »
Oh god please no. We don't need people leaving their mic on the entire time >:(

Offline Audie Murphy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:08:17 pm »
This game is all about teamwork and communication. If you don't like having to listen to your teammates talk to you, then you're playing the wrong kind of game. The more my crew talks to me, the more fun I have.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:13 pm »
Imagine's point is more about how it'd be abused. Trolls would leave their mics on during entire matches, for example.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:13:43 pm »
Imagine's point is more about how it'd be abused. Trolls would leave their mics on during entire matches, for example.
That's certainly one, but another thing to consider is you (and I mean that in the general sense of everyone) never realizes the amount of background noise they have going on which would make an always on mic situation horrible.

Look, I get what you're saying Murphy (not sure why you decided to be all antagonistic about my response), but the suggestion you made would do a hellof a lot more harm than good.

Offline Audie Murphy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:40:17 pm »
The reason I was antagonistic was because you seemed to be implying that you found voice chat annoying and that the last thing you wanted was more of it, and that was why other people shouldn't have the option to set their mic to toggle-to-talk. I had a knee-jerk reaction to that because I thought it was kinda selfish to shoot down my suggestion just because you don't like listening to your teammates, which seems stupid to me because GOIO is a game where you HAVE to listen to your teammates in order to play well.

But I do apologize for that. It seems that was not what you were implying. I did not mean to jump down your throat for someting you didn't mean to say.

But to address what you said just now, I still don't get why it would be so horrible. If someone has their mic always on and there's bad background noise, just ask them to switch back to push-to-talk. If they're a polite person, they'll acquiesce. If they're not, don't play with them. GOIO has a big enough community that you have plenty of room to avoid a bad apple like that.

Right now, too often I find myself with crews that don't communicate enough, and I've never had any problems with someone who communicated too much. On the two total instances where I had to deal with an annoying person who abused their voice chat ability, I solved them quickly and easily by simply leaving the game and reporting them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:45:47 pm by Audie Murphy »

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 11:27:21 pm »
I suppose we have different ways of looking at it, I personally just don't think always on is a good thing.

Regardless, I'm not entirely sure if they can make any changes at all since it's Steam's system.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:47 am »
Oh gawd.. save us from open mics..

But seriously, would the Steam system cope with four open mic channels?  When someone is using open speakers with a mic rather than a headset, there's already significant echo - open mic channels aren't going to make this any better.  It's of no use to the Captain who has two channels to choose from, and who should be communicating with other Captains on the team as well as his/her crew.

I'm afraid I don't see any advantage to this.

First priority with chat is to fix the already identified need for additional channels in the Lobby.

Offline Seamus S

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
A big issue with open mics is that they tend to echo/ cause feedback because they pick up all the other IG sounds. Lots of times I hear my own voice echoing out of someone else's voice chat channel when they have their mic open at the same time I do. I can't imagine the audio mess that would ensue if two or three people had their mics open all the time O.o