Author Topic: uncompetitive scrimmage day  (Read 16700 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
uncompetitive scrimmage day
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:09:03 am »
By popular demand this thread is being made.

With all the events coming up soon, I have aired the idea of trying to find a fixed day each week for uncompetitive and training scrimmages. Teams in GOIO have had problems finding scrimmages in the past, due to the fact that it’s a 2-part procedure. First, you need to privately contact a clan, and then find an ideal date to get your crew together for the scrimmage.

So why should your team be a part of this?

First, knowing that once per week on a specific day you have the chance of doing scrimmages is an easy way to get your crew members to schedule their week. Additionally, It will be easier to find a scrimmage, since the other teams participating also knows that this specific day is scrimmage day. It also will be easy to find a replacement if one of your team members can’t make it.

This will not be competitive event, meaning that there is no penalty of trying out new tactics, before you test them vs. other teams in tournament events. – However if you want to use the scrimmage to gain points in the upcoming e-sport system, you are free to do so if both clans / teams agree on it.

There is no managing this other than both teams agree on how their scrimmage will proceed. We don’t care we just want to play more team vs. team based games.

Cogs had huge success in getting teams to show up Saturdays, so this could potentially work if we support the idea.

So if you are interested and have a team, the next step is to find a permanent week day. Have a word with your team members and then post back in this thread.

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: uncompetitive scrimmage day
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:11:15 am »
I will take the liberty of giving a suggestion.

With cogs, and off season events being held saturdays, it might be an idea to have these events on saturdays.

usually most teams will be practicing at 2pm EST, 8pm CET. If we could make it saturday those teams not playing the current week, can do scrimmages anyway.

another idea would be to use sunday.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:14:27 am »
As rep for the Merry Men, I feel that Sat before Cogs or any tourney, will be the most ideal time for scrimmages like this. We seem to all congregate during this time anyway :)...

Offline Captain Magellan

• Salutes: 13
    • [VAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:19:51 am »
Yeah, The Valiant hit the skies 12:00 PM EST on Saturdays.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:15 am »
I'm TRYING not to sound like an annoying broken record here; I find myself saying this same thing over and over... If everything is always on Saturdays, you will always have the same people involved, and always be excluding the same people. It's starting to get frustrating, since I'm firmly in the second group. Of course the majority of the current competitive players will be able to make a Saturday event. This is why they are the current competitive scene, because they can play on Saturdays. I'm unfortunately starting to believe that the single strongest skill set to have in this game for competitive play is a weekday work schedule or no job at all. That is not how it should be.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
And if you end up organizing people-being-online-to-play at... times they would already be online to play... Has it achieved anything?

Offline Skrimskraw

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:25 am »
I'm TRYING not to sound like an annoying broken record here; I find myself saying this same thing over and over... If everything is always on Saturdays, you will always have the same people involved, and always be excluding the same people. It's starting to get frustrating, since I'm firmly in the second group. Of course the majority of the current competitive players will be able to make a Saturday event. This is why they are the current competitive scene, because they can play on Saturdays. I'm unfortunately starting to believe that the single strongest skill set to have in this game for competitive play is a weekday work schedule or no job at all. That is not how it should be.

this is not an event created for all people. this is for teams that wants to have an easier time finding scrimmages vs. eachother.
all teams that want to be a part of this, can and should write in this thread about which day they would like this to be on.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:43:34 pm »
The Cohort, as a clan - not any specific team, can be organized to be on and ready with relatively short notice any day around/after 10:00PM EST. I respectfully understand that this will not coincide with what your event will almost definitely end up with, but perhaps some group/clan leader might be interested in an independent scrimmage.

As the player base of this game continues to grow, perhaps it is time to grow the competitive scene outside of ~4 hours one day a week.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:48:36 pm by dragonmere »

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »
I'm sick and my brain is mush right now, but I think brood is up for this

Offline naufrago

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 10
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 05:59:18 pm »
Suggestion- every team consults its members and determines 1-3 set times a week when they can meet up and have enough players for practice. They can then post in this thread or a new one what those times are. OP can then update with a list of all those teams, the times they say they're available, and a place where each team can be contacted.

Scheduling a scrimmage would then be as simple as looking at that list, talking with your own team to determine which times they can make, then contacting the other team.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:43 pm »
I'd be down. Especially if it acts as some sort of pre-competitive warm up. Its easy to pub stomp all morning and then be woefully unready when it comes time for the real event. I will not be available this week though.

Offline Kira Wa Nai

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [PLRS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 11:01:13 am »
Polaris are in for 2PM Saturdays.

Offline Captain Lockheart

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 52
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 02:52:54 pm »
The Whalers and the Dutchmen are ready, and will be there when possible.

Offline Mattisamo

• Salutes: 12
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 03:09:43 pm »
The Gentlemen will be there from time to time.

Offline Brick Hardcastle

• Salutes: 12
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »
Suggestion- every team consults its members and determines 1-3 set times a week when they can meet up and have enough players for practice. They can then post in this thread or a new one what those times are. OP can then update with a list of all those teams, the times they say they're available, and a place where each team can be contacted.

Scheduling a scrimmage would then be as simple as looking at that list, talking with your own team to determine which times they can make, then contacting the other team.

I think something like this might be helpful for the new league system as well (and perhaps that was implied). It would save a lot of legwork in organizing matches.