Author Topic: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format  (Read 79974 times)

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: The Cogs - Season 2 Rules and Format
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 07:56:52 am »
I'll have a chat with Swallow about this, the idea to leave the game after 30 minutes is a good one and I think we should implement it.

In other news, I found the day 9 daily video I spoke of. The first 35 seconds are my view on sniping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E6KygstDIo

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2013, 09:06:35 am »
I wonder if there would be a way to implement a running scoreboard in the background. So say something that runs along the top of the stream that the ref updates with point totals. So people watching the stream won't completely miss out on the other match.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2013, 09:09:17 am »
Well sure if the ref kept me updated on the score I could simply prep a small overlay

Offline Veyka

• Salutes: 12
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
    • Just a site
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 09:09:57 am »
I wonder if there would be a way to implement a running scoreboard in the background. So say something that runs along the top of the stream that the ref updates with point totals. So people watching the stream won't completely miss out on the other match.

Im sure the streamer could have an overlay with the other match in a corner or something, and the ref in the other game can provide info (plus record it and upload the video later or something)

edit: damn ninjed by Qwerty

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2013, 09:12:13 am »
You could also switch long games to the CeSports stream with other casters, like you did for Icarus Sky. That way people still wanting to see the match would have the option to.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:46 am »
Transitions like that are not easy to do at all. It would result in maybe 30 seconds of lost footage/time and is inconvenient for the viewers.

Veyka: MWMWMWMAHAHAHahahahahahahahaahahahh!!!!!

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 09:41:14 am »
So maybe you'd give a warning in advance that the stream is getting switched, and you could perform it smoothly without losing any footage.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
30 seconds lost over the entire back end of a match someone wants to watch surely isn't the end of the world. Not saying I personally would want to see it, but someone will say something about I'm sure.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:00 pm »
Even if a time limit isn't put on, I think the casters should just leave the match after 30 minutes while the ref remains and then start the next match.  This way competitive teams could shoot at each other for no effect as long as they want and no one would have to watch them do it allowing everyone to win.

This. This fixes all things.

...Why didn't I think of this?

We'll do this.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
Swallow, can we get a clarification of the seeding from the Cogs. There were some changes as the lowest seed was in reality the second best seed as it gets to play and advance faster. (example being that 3 a is best in terms of ability to advance, 3 b was worst and 3 e was second best). If we are going with that concept, shouldn't Polaris and PaFa switch their 2 c and 2 b since PaFa scored better than Polaris in season 1 finale but in the current set up they are in the worse position to advance.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »
Better yet, I think that positions 2-4 from the finale should get to pick their seed in the challenger's Cog, with the second-placed team getting first dibs and so on. That team may or may not actually want to play the champions in week 1.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
Swallow, can we get a clarification of the seeding from the Cogs. There were some changes as the lowest seed was in reality the second best seed as it gets to play and advance faster. (example being that 3 a is best in terms of ability to advance, 3 b was worst and 3 e was second best). If we are going with that concept, shouldn't Polaris and PaFa switch their 2 c and 2 b since PaFa scored better than Polaris in season 1 finale but in the current set up they are in the worse position to advance.
Yeah, going to quote myself from the week 0 thread:

Yeah, imo everything would be much less confusing if 3e was actually 3b, etc. 3b should correspond to the second highest seed, but it's actually the lowest. Everything would continue functioning as it already is, just reverse the lettering. My two cents.

Offline Swallox

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:33 pm »

Actually, you got that one wrong. PaFa was supposed to choose between 2b and 2c due to their seed, but I haven't been able to catch them online so they can make the choice. Seems easier just to give PaFa 2c.

And I realise that it's a tricky concept to wrap your head around (Trust me, took me a while to figure out too), but once I get the preview for Week 1 up, things should be back to normal.

As a sidenote: The slots were originally numbered 1-10... I was asked to change them to their current format, so I did. If anyone has a better idea for a way to represent the cogs without uploading a jpg, be sure to let me know.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2013, 08:02:22 pm »
Why is it that pafa gets to choose their seed but Brood doesn't?

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 08:07:17 pm »
Yeah, how does that make sense? As I said, it'd only be fair to give the second-placed teams first choice of seed, followed by the third-placed team, and then the fourth-placed one would get the remaining spot.