Author Topic: Ragequitting pilot captains and what to do about it  (Read 39512 times)

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
Re: How to Stop Ragequitting Pilots
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:15 am »
or that they don't know how to join a match properly using Quick Join instead.

ah yes I would remove the Quick join button if I could, how many crews from hell are formed that way I shudder to think :D

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 09:40:16 am »
Quick join has been fixed where if there is no available beginners match for a low lvl player, it will make on instead.... So those lvl1 pilots who join your ship did so through the match selection screen

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 01:32:35 pm »
Players should be able to leave in the middle of a match if they are not having fun. I don't think that shaming them for doing so is a good idea.

I would agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that a rage quitting captain makes everyone else not have fun with them.  It's just really selfish to ruin everyone else's match with you.  There's a reason Muse put in the surrender feature.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »
What does the surrender feature do, btw?

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 01:37:43 pm »
What does the surrender feature do, btw?

Pretty much puts the ship of the surrendered pilot in the 'surrender' state, if he leaves, it will automatically pilot itself to the edge of the map, in order to end a game all pilots need to surrender, so basically if only one guy surrenders his team needs to concede as well, else it's the same thing wether he rage quits or not. He just leaves.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 06:53:44 pm »
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1316.0.html
It appears that we have a duplicate discussion going here. I spent a good minute last thread articulating my thoughts, and I posted it already. I'm not sure if I should copy and paste to this dupe thread or not, so I'll err on the side of polite caution and skip it.

Same as Moo and others said, a damn near identical thread to this one was thrown up several weeks ago, and quite a few people have already left their opinions there. If you are interested in this subject matter, will you please read it? I still think my suggestion, covered in the first thread, is a good idea. Many people seemed to agree. What do you think?
https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1316.0.html

Additionally, Smollett, you had already posted in the older thread a month ago. Why, exactly, did you feel the need to start a new post, knowing full well that the other existed? Why not just try reposting to the old one if you think this subject suddenly became relevant again? That would have pushed the older post back to the top of the board, and facilitated continued discussion rather than just rehashing the same ideas. I think a new post for the same subject adds a layer of confusion and makes the discussion process a little harder... I wouldn't even be bringing this up if you were new to the community, but c'mon man-you're Smollett. I have high expectations :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 07:05:18 pm by dragonmere »

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 08:37:20 pm »
To be honest, I'm old and senile and completely forgot about the other post.  The thread was sort of reactionary after playing two days full of rage quitting captains.

If possible I'd like to request a moderator merge the threads.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ragequitting pilot captains and what to do about it
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »
The topics have been merged.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:18 am »
Quick join has been fixed where if there is no available beginners match for a low lvl player, it will make on instead.... So those lvl1 pilots who join your ship did so through the match selection screen

Good to know - I'll start nudging new players in that direction.

Offline QKO

• Salutes: 5
    • [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2013, 10:35:21 am »
Guys, stop...

You are now going to fix a symptom of a problem rather than a problem itself. Lets first start with as to why the general captain ragequit in the first place. I have quit as the captain of a ship several times. Is it because I'm losing? No. Anyone that has played with me knows I don't mind losing, losing means that I can and should learn. Losing is just part of the gaming process.  What pisses me off to no end as a captain is people not following orders. There are quite a number of who have the hearing and comprehensive ability that is even below the abilities of insects found throughout the planet. Some people are repairing broken equipment with the mallet or damage equipment with a spanner, even if you tell them they shouldn't do that. And sometimes you get crew members that correct these bad engineers for you, but most of the times you are dropping out of the sky faster than you are used to. When my attention however is drawn to my crew rather than the ships around me, that is pretty much strike 1. If I start shouting and my crew still doesn't listen, that is strike 2. If my ship dies several times because of this, that is strike 3 and I'm gone.

I can very well understand that captains who are flying a ship full with people that essentially don't take orders leave the game. I have done this on several occasions and I have informed my fellow captain when this happened(I think). There's simply a limit to player's patience and that is perfectly normal. So having any form of punishment system is essentially just adding to the frustration of these players. I'd much rather have people focusing on the reasons why these captains quit and fixing those rather than fighting this symptom. And then we can have mods deal with the captains that quit to troll.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2013, 12:17:17 pm »
Whenever I've got no friends available to play with, I always check the running matches list in search of 3/4 captains.

9/10 times, the crew listens to me, the ally listens to me, and everything (socially) is what I expect from a random game.

The only reason I can see that a Captain left is that the score is 3-0 or the ship is absolute crap. (Harpoon/Flare Pyri, anyone?)

While you may have your own justified reasons for leaving, most other people don't.

Offline Calico Jack

• [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2013, 12:50:17 pm »
I agree with you James T, most people are fairly agreeable and actually want to win.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2013, 02:48:16 pm »
Whenever I've got no friends available to play with, I always check the running matches list in search of 3/4 captains.

9/10 times, the crew listens to me, the ally listens to me, and everything (socially) is what I expect from a random game.

The only reason I can see that a Captain left is that the score is 3-0 or the ship is absolute crap. (Harpoon/Flare Pyri, anyone?)

While you may have your own justified reasons for leaving, most other people don't.
Whenever I hear communication between players of any team where either captain is about to quit, it is usually what I described, the players do not listen. Having a ragequit punishment will only add to the agony of players that don't deserve it.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2013, 06:34:43 pm »
In the circumstances you describe, with a dysfunctional crew, you could agree with the other captain(s) on your team to surrender, ending the match quickly. That way you don't have to quit, the game doesn't have to continue with basically a whole ship missing, and you won't have any problem with any quit-tracking measures.

Offline QKO

• [TCD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 04:07:39 am »
And again, it doesn't solve the issue of players not listening. Those players will simply stay in the game even if you tell them to leave. When you start another round, those players are likely to still be there. There is no difference for said captain to just quit or to surrender and quit, except that the latter requires more actions and approval of the other captain(s).