Author Topic: Disgusting  (Read 16470 times)

Offline EXepTioNN

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Disgusting
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:56:42 am »
I'm just disgust of how racist n stupid people can be... I've come across few players which were well sadly I can say everybody used to. but this one has crossed all the lines.

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
Re: Disgusting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:55 am »
Racism and intolerance of any kind should have no space in our community. I'm sorry that you've had to deal with players like that, but we clearly do not want them - whenever you encounter any kind of racism or intolerance, no matter how minor it seems, help us out with reporting the player!

We sadly can't be everywhere, listening to all the voice conversations or checking the lobby at every moment, but that's where the report feature comes in very handy, it allows us to break down on those players with help from the more proper parts of our community!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:46:52 am by Kyren »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:00:06 am »
You've never played competitive PVP games before have you?

Welcome to the internet. If you want to see how low humanity can go, buy an Xbox, a copy of Halo or CoD, then get on Xbox Live. You'll be offended probably a couple hundred times in the first 30 mins. Most of which coming from the mouths of kids and teens. I really don't blame that one guy for losing it and hunting that kid down that was in the news awhile back (think he knew him in real life if I remember right). If you don't get the urge to ring a few necks in the first 5 mins then you obviously have your speakers on mute.

You can partially thank the proliferation of voice chat in gaming. Where it used to take people time to stop and type their offenses, which would make some hesitate and rethink their stupidity, they now can just blurt out whatever they want without a care in the world.

Be sure to report people like this when you see them in game. The reports are checked and actions do get taken. Best thing you can do.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:01:43 am by Gilder »

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:37 am »
This is actually one of the few communities I'm becoming passionate enough about to care when this sort of thing happens.

Jerry Holkins (Tycho) has the formula of Normal Person - Consequences + Audience = Total Fuckwad theory.
But especially in a game that more or less requires voice communication, it just makes me a bit sad. :(

Be sure to report people like this when you see them in game. The reports are checked and actions do get taken. Best thing you can do.
Do the CAs have the power to ban a player? I usually just block/report offenders. But I assume that system could get overloaded pretty quickly.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:35:10 am »
This is something that has been a big problem since the influx of players...
Maybe if the consequences were more visible, it'd be a better deterrent. When people are being intentionally antagonistic in global chat (spamming on purpose, bypassing censor etc) and only seem to ever get very mild requests to stop, even after persisting and ignoring previous requests... well... it's not surprising people think they are free to behave in such a manner, or worse. If the offenders were dealt with more quickly and more obviously it would do more to dissuade others from doing similar. Maybe the community standards could be linked to in the social page in game, and maybe recommended more for people to read when they fail to meet the standards.
For the reporting, how does it work? Is voice chat recorded? Are people's current ship names sent along with the report? Who looks at the reports, and how often? If there was more information given about the whole process, it'd give people more confidence in it. If there are poor reports, how about some feedback as to how they could be improved? If there are good reports, perhaps feedback could also be given, so people know they are helping.
Also some of the CAs could do better at leading by example...

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
The Jerry Holkins (Tycho) formula holds true for this community, except there are consequences here. Muse holds power over your account they can change ship and player names, and probably have an other punitive measures for people who are a detriment to the community. What is more we know they listen to us and have the power to act. So in this game more than others I trust the "Report" button will actually get back to the people who have the power to do something about it.

Just because this is part of the internet doesn't mean we have to put up with trolls.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:53 pm »
Reports DO matter, and we rely on them and take them very seriously. We process reports daily, and every single one is read and handled by a human. First offenders generally get a warning, except in severe cases, and for multiple repeat offenses we do issue suspensions and bans.

For reports of trolling and other nonverbal behavior that doesn't leave a record we can immediately verify, we save all reports and look for a pattern of multiple sources or multiple instances to determine if a report is credible before taking action.

We also "clean" names daily, manually processing any ship or player names that have been reported or automatically flagged as potentially offensive, and resetting names and sending warnings as needed.

The social page is undergoing a bit of a revamp, and will eventually include more information about the community standards, blocking, reporting, and the moderation process to make everything a little clearer.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 12:26:03 pm »
Muse Community standards are so high I still can't say "packing" or "Packistan" in text chat for fear I would utter the racial slur "packi" :P

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:29:18 pm »
Muse Community standards are so high I still can't say "packing" or "Packistan" in text chat for fear I would utter the racial slur "packi" :P

D'oh, I thought I fixed that one already. Please let me know about things like this... :P

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 12:33:17 pm »
It's ok, I figured you had better things to do, or the fix got clobbered in a recent rebuild. It is no big deal, but I wanted to lighten the mood. :)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 05:39:24 pm »
Yeah Muse does check stuff.

If you can screenshot incidents, do it. F12 in steam does screenshot. I threatened to report a bunch of kids for their behavior and was reported in turn. Only found out cause Muse suddenly came after me. Then to find out other trolls had reported me in the past too. I kept screenshots of the main incident to prove what was happening. Guess it helped a little.

But honestly, I'm not really satisfied with the system. Can report trolls but trolls can abuse it just the same. I told some crewmates what I had been reported for and they went "seriously?" They know that is not how I act. Now I've gone from a "kick button is not necessary and has a chance for abuse" stance to a "WE NEED KICK BUTTON!" stance.

Course if it hadn't have been for Pakkela, tarcide would have never been weaponized. So I guess thats one positive for trolls. They sometimes inadvertently help you figure out new tricks. But, I'd still never unblock him.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 06:29:25 pm »
My experience has been that when I see it in regional, before I can even write my own harsh reply, a few dozen CA's and devs come out of the woodworks and put it down like a California wildfire. Never have I seen such commendable response time from a company.

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 12:40:53 am »
Since that huge influx of...YOLOSWAGCALLOFDUTY a couple weeks ago...the regional chat has gone a bit...out there...it's internet

However, this game...well the old people at least...pride themselves in the community image they have worked for...and many CA's are around at all times (though they may be in game) and there are a couple Devs that lurk (who will get in my stalking list, by the way,) and there are us, players who will report people like that.

So I know it has been stated, but you can always report these people, and I will thank everyone who does that.  MUSE looks at all their reports.

I will also apologize for any past and future transgressions, that stuff isn't us.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 01:50:46 am »
Keep in mind that most of these players are looking for an audience, attention seeking and belligerence tend to go hand in hand.
I'm not saying turn the other cheek, by all means report away, but also understand that you do have power to isolate a troll, which is the ultimate weapon against them.

Leaving a lobby with a group because of an abusive player, creating a private match and inviting people via pm or regional announcement.  I've seen it used to good affect to exclude a particular player from harassing others.  The block feature is also equally important, just don't try to confront them.
As its been said we do tend to come out of the wood work when somebody starts raging in local, but we the CAs are just voulenteers so we won't be around all the time.  Gotta use that report feature, I can't emphasize that enough, so proper action can be taken against players who abuse the common rules of decency that govern the play space.

Offline Arnox

• Salutes: 14
    • [Sw]
    • View Profile
    • Sand Wasps
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 07:27:17 am »
Sad but true. Each time I'm logging to the game, the chat is full of homophobic, racist sentences and similar behaviours. My strong french accent helped me to "win" some nice xenophobic pikes aswell. It's already hard enough to try to communicate with your crew/team members with the perma spam without eye-bleeding in the process.

For me Gun of Icarus was a game with not so huge, but mature community where you were enjoying a dieselpunk game and meeting players from all around the world. Not anymore since a few weeks, or in rarer occasions. While I was glad to be a part of this communinty, LoL/CoD fanboyzz wave kinda lowered, neutered even, my will to log back.

I know we already asked a stronger in-game moderation tool  than the block option, and I'm sure Muse people and CAs, as usual, are working hard to maintain things clean. But I think they are losing a lot of human resource in the process. Smart and creative solution would be nice.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:30:02 am by Arnox »