Author Topic: Spectate lvl 1-2  (Read 13398 times)

Offline Hoid

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Spectate lvl 1-2
« on: May 30, 2013, 07:05:42 pm »
I would really like to watch the low level matches but I can't even join the games to spectate.  How hard would it be to implement higher level players being locked to spectator in low level games.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Spectate lvl 1-2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:57:35 am »
The idea is already out there and being considered, though it's known as a "teacher" system, where players who sign up to be a teacher gain access to beginner matches despite their level.

I would think more than just watching would be wanted from these teachers though.

Why would you want to watch beginner matches though if not for teaching? I'd think higher level play would be more enlightening for you to see. My opinion of course.

Offline Deano

• Salutes: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:48 am »
The idea is already out there and being considered, though it's known as a "teacher" system, where players who sign up to be a teacher gain access to beginner matches despite their level.

I would think more than just watching would be wanted from these teachers though.

Why would you want to watch beginner matches though if not for teaching? I'd think higher level play would be more enlightening for you to see. My opinion of course.

I agree with Zill, though levels mean nothing really. I think "teachers" should be people who have played for a while, rather than those who farm achievements.
People may beg to differ though.

Offline Hoid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
The teaching would be great.
Honestly though I think those matches would just be super fun to watch.  Kind of like Bronze League Heroes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9Pv-EV8Os

Offline Mkah Mvet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:48:15 am »
I don't see the harm in it.  (In most games feedback forums the default reaction to any suggestion is to shoot down ideas without actually considering them.)

level restrictions are to help ensure an even match for newbies.  Spectators can't interact mid-match anyway, so why should level restrictions apply to them at all?  Now, a teaching mode, where the teacher can interact mid-match, there should be restrictions to the teacher so there's not unfair intel being gathered.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »
Spectators can't interact mid-match anyway, so why should level restrictions apply to them at all?

The problem is that spectators are treated as players in the lobby, and the higher level players don't have access to join them at all. This issue also comes up when you want to spectate an already full match, and you can't join since it says it's full. If they got separated this issue wouldn't be happening.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:22:42 pm »
The level restrictions are certainly a problem if you are working on the teaching achievements. I'm pretty much stuck on the 30 matches with 1-2s cause they don't often migrate out of the lowbie matches. Real nice incentive to teach when you can't even join the games to do it if you wanted to.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:38:16 pm »
The level restrictions are certainly a problem if you are working on the teaching achievements. I'm pretty much stuck on the 30 matches with 1-2s cause they don't often migrate out of the lowbie matches. Real nice incentive to teach when you can't even join the games to do it if you wanted to.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1000.msg16667.html

I, obviously, agree on the all level 1-2 crew achievement. I don't really care so much about getting the achievement per say, but the fact that it's there... It makes me think that it's something that should be naturally happening sometimes. It's not. Ever. And I've explicitly tried to make it happen.

Also I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the beginner rooms in general. I've heard tales... Stories about 45 minute 4 Galleon matches... hours of play with no mic activity from anyone... match after match after match with NO ships on either team bringing a viable piercing/explosive weapon combination...

To a degree, the beginner rooms are good, but I really think new players should learn the ACTUAL game as fast as possible. I'm personally very glad I joined a few months before beginner rooms were implemented. I'm not sure I would have retained so much interest without having played a few of my very first games with highly notable captains.  ;D

Back to the topic at hand... Letting some higher level players into these rooms could really help with the issues that I perceive. I should hope that any willing new players would love the advice from an intelligent and able senior player.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:01:58 pm by dragonmere »

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:09:52 pm »
I learned before all that too. Yeah it was obvious the vets stuck together but often times I'd get on their crews and pick up a lot of tricks. If I was relegated to lowbie rooms, I probably wouldn't have improved very fast. Satchmo was helpful back then, although at least half his advice was bogus (gat is best for balloon type stuff he'd say). I never felt like QQing about stacking/etc. Specially not after I started taking down the vets I faced. Satchmo calling me "annoying" after I whipped him real bad was finally the icing on the cake. An early goal had been to get good enough to take him down and I did and then started looking for tougher opponents. Had some wonderful squid duels with Leviticus, shame he doesn't play anymore, and then ran into Brick. The first Pyra pilot who actually made me work for kills :D.

It is a shame all this spawned out of newbs QQing about stacking and such. They don't want to learn or get better, just get their easy wins. I'm glad to see a few lowbies trickling into higher level matches. Tells me they are the ones who aren't satisfied and actually want to get better at the game. The new teams entering into the Sky Tourney are all examples of this. Zacs group got up to competitive level in a week. Just goes to show the experience gap is not as drastic as some newbs perceive it to be. You can get real good, real fast if you want to.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:13:10 pm »
I learned before all that too. Yeah it was obvious the vets stuck together but often times I'd get on their crews and pick up a lot of tricks. If I was relegated to lowbie rooms, I probably wouldn't have improved very fast. Satchmo was helpful back then, although at least half his advice was bogus (gat is best for balloon type stuff he'd say). I never felt like QQing about stacking/etc. Specially not after I started taking down the vets I faced. Satchmo calling me "annoying" after I whipped him real bad was finally the icing on the cake. An early goal had been to get good enough to take him down and I did and then started looking for tougher opponents. Had some wonderful squid duels with Leviticus, shame he doesn't play anymore, and then ran into Brick. The first Pyra pilot who actually made me work for kills :D.

Sounds a lot like how I started out. I always went up against the best, since it was the only way I could improve. I'm sure everybody who started playing in the late beta fondly remembers the first time they crushed Firestone :D

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 01:18:17 am »
Beating Firestone for the first time and then beating him again and again until he rage quits is one of the joys of Guns of Icarus that I've been missing lately and it's sad that so many new players will never get to experience it.

I really think adventure mode should have a villain named in his honor, maybe it'll be a boss ship you need to beat for an achievement that should be a really tiny ship that always hides from you under rubble while you try to kill it.

Offline Hoid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 02:02:50 am »
Wait who was this Firestone character?

Having gotten into this game since the Kickstarter I am short on history but a decent pilot in my own mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 02:53:24 am »
Firestone was a pilot, who although quite skilled, was frequently prone to raging; he was so notorious that I heard about him from no less than 3 people before I ever even played a game with him.  He was also rather infamous for blocking the point capture on desert scrap from below the wreckage (when that was still possible) by flying a squid through the hole in the back entrance (when that still existed).

Anyways, I became a rather solid pilot a good while before I achieved any significant rank or before anyone knew me so after a few sound victories against Firestone, he characteristically rage quite from the lobby, giving me that oh so lovely feeling of Firestone crushing that new players would learn to cherish.

To be honest Firestone wound up being a pretty great guy after I got to know him, but oh that temper.  To hear him tongue lash his crew was like witnessing the sound of Satan's whip against the flesh of the damned.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:58 pm »
I like how the game has changed since Muse implemented newbie matches. Low level people who click "quick join" are automatically sent to a newbie match. This prevents short tempered vets from raging at them. They also have a safe space to experiment with sub optimal builds without vets telling them that they are wrong. Once they find an optimal build they probably will win their way out of the newbie matches in short order, but at least they get the joy of kicking a few butts before that happens.

I would rather leave the newbies alone in their safe space. If they want to learn the meta they can come out and play in regular matches. I have flown with a few level 1 crews in regular matches even after the newbie matches were established. These crew were willing to listen and work with me far more than the average quick joiner.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:17:59 pm »
Ahh I hadn't realized Muse did that for lowbies. Well that explains why I haven't had to teach new players as often anymore. Also why I rarely get people jumping on guns and spraying at clouds anymore. Then of course why my block list growth rate has slowed down :D.