Author Topic: Natural Progression of Self Righteous New Players  (Read 12626 times)

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
Natural Progression of Self Righteous New Players
« on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:56 am »
Day One: The newb has just purchased GoIO. He or she assumes the game is new, because this is the first time he or she has seen it on Steam. Of course, it was on sale. Newb assumes a class, takes a loadout that he or she does not quite understand, and hits quick join.

Day Two: Newb didn't do so well, but decided that all those other players telling him or her to switch classes or loadouts were probably just mean. Newb takes to the GoIO forums to set this shit straight! Newb is immediately comforted by everyone on the forums, and told the obvious truth: "You didn't meet everyone in the game last night".

Day Three: Newb realizes that the majority of the people in the game do not have membership on the forums, and is downhearted after a full day of getting yelled at again.

Day Four: Newb reprimands the forum community regarding the GoIO community. The community provides Newb with a fresh hug, and Newb is revitalized, ready to take on the world.

Day Five: Newb has most likely linked up with a compassionate veteran of GoIO, and has been taught the ropes of his or her class. If the Newb has listened, the Newb will progress to day six. If not, the newb will quit this mean game because it's just too mean.

Day Six: Newb spends the day screaming at people to change classes and loadouts.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Natural Progression of Self Righteous New Players
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:16:21 pm »
I think the average newb experience is being on a ship with a mute captain who files around in circles and never puts guns on target long enough to really make a difference. They should think themselves lucky to be on a ship where someone is screaming at them.

Offline Honeybadger

• Salutes: 21
    • [H♥B]
    • View Profile
    • My Stream
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
Pretty acurate

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:16 pm »
yup

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 01:21:30 pm »
That sounds about right.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:26 pm »
I think the average newb experience is being on a ship with a mute captain who files around in circles and never puts guns on target long enough to really make a difference. They should think themselves lucky to be on a ship where someone is screaming at them.
Both of those are pretty much has the same counterproductivity.

And, to be fair here, I hope people don't actually think all new players are terribu, that's how you end up with communities like LoL :D

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:20:21 pm »
Not all new players are terrible, but there are some pretty terrible players out there and they tend to stick out like a sore thumb when they are on your team. Mediocre players are fine since they will get stuff done a little slower than expert players. But having a flat out terrible player will leave a gaping hole in your crew that no amount of skill from the other players can quite make up for. I am probably a little grouchy since I flew with a terrible pilot and engineer last night.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 02:32:15 pm »
Not all new players are terrible, but there are some pretty terrible players out there and they tend to stick out like a sore thumb when they are on your team. Mediocre players are fine since they will get stuff done a little slower than expert players. But having a flat out terrible player will leave a gaping hole in your crew that no amount of skill from the other players can quite make up for. I am probably a little grouchy since I flew with a terrible pilot and engineer last night.

How did that go?

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »
We flew an all hwacha galleon, the other engineer stayed on the front right facing hwacha for the first half of the game while the pilot flew in big counter clockwise circles no where near the action. The gunner was decent but ultimately ineffective due to the pilot's incompetence. The enemy team ignored us for the most part having accurately assessed we were not a threat. The ally ship had a friend of mine on it, and I felt horrible I could not do anything to help them. When the enemy team decided to finish us off for the last kill the pilot left the helm on full forward and went to use the rear mounted flame thrower. I think we ran into a wall on dunes and died.

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 03:05:56 pm »
We flew an all hwacha galleon, the other engineer stayed on the front right facing hwacha for the first half of the game while the pilot flew in big counter clockwise circles no where near the action. The gunner was decent but ultimately ineffective due to the pilot's incompetence. The enemy team ignored us for the most part having accurately assessed we were not a threat. The ally ship had a friend of mine on it, and I felt horrible I could not do anything to help them. When the enemy team decided to finish us off for the last kill the pilot left the helm on full forward and went to use the rear mounted flame thrower. I think we ran into a wall on dunes and died.

Reminds me of a game I played where the captain disconnected about half way through the match, we were flying a heavy flak galleon believe, me and my remaining crew member (who was a gunner) took control and I believe we managed to get 1 kill before the end of the match. It was still pretty bad but it worked out better then we had hoped.

Offline HamsterIV

• View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:15:56 pm »
We probably could have gotten a kill or two if the captain left and I took the helm, but I am not the type to jump around in front of the helm and scream "you suck, let me fly, you suck."

Offline Piemanlives

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 03:26:22 pm »
I'm one to point out mistakes but not up front and say "God damn you are a horrible pilot!"

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
I'm one to point out mistakes but not up front and say "God damn you are a horrible pilot!"
I might have said that to a few engineers

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 05:10:51 pm »
Yesterday I flew with a troll pilot. He spent the entire game burning engines and dragging the Squid along the ground. So Frogger and I left him alone and joined another match about 400 points in.

Offline Shukketsushi

• Salutes: 50
    • [МSF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 05:41:26 pm »

Day Six: Newb spends the day screaming at people to change classes and loadouts.

Lolololololol