Author Topic: Beginner omni class  (Read 7528 times)

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Beginner omni class
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:23:08 am »
(reposting this from a different section)
What if there was a beginner class that is all classes in one. This class could be an option for 1-3 lvls or so and then its unavailable and you have the normal 3 classes.

This would almost entirely end the mid game joining gunner or captain issue.

New players would have an easier time learning to play and would get yelled at less.

Yes this would give an advantage, but it would be very hard to exploit and only temporarily until the player levels up.

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner omni class
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:19:06 am »
instead of that i think it would be better that everyone can only be engi to begin with, and when they get level 2 with it they then unlock the gunner, then once they hit level 2 with the gunner they unlock pilot. it would solve the problem of gunner overflow and ensure the pilots have at least basic knowlage of the other roles and some experiance with the ship layouts

Offline Pickle

• [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:19:15 am »
It doesn't stop Engineers leaping on the guns and ignoring repairs.  It doesn't stop them unloading all the ammunition choices carefully loaded by your Gunner.

Three Gunners or three Engineers glued to guns.. there isn't much of a difference.

Sometimes I wish I had a Captain's switch panel and I could turn-off the side guns on a Goldfish (my usual safe 'ship choice with a pick-up crew).

Offline JaceBoojah

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:30:02 pm »
This would not solve all of the new player problems including the biggest, lack of communication.  It would solve the SECOND biggest problem of new players not being the right class ( I would not consider trollers, or them just not being any good, the second biggest problem). 

There is a situation where a new player might be a great one but he or she didn't know you shouldn't have 2 gunners and then is stuck with the choice of being chewed out by the crew or leaving the game.  That is not a good first experience.

Offline Kanimal

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »
What about allowing class changes when your ship gets destroyed?  This way if things go south the captain can request some adjustments without being stuck in a hole the rest of the round.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 04:03:50 pm »
What about allowing class changes when your ship gets destroyed?  This way if things go south the captain can request some adjustments without being stuck in a hole the rest of the round.

In my humble opinion, I prefer the way that things are at the moment (not to say that an omni class is bad). One of the best points of this game, is to think up strategy for situations you may not usually come up against. It's pretty much a given that each ship should have 2 engies a pilot and a gunner. It's much more satisfying when you win with 2 gunners and 2 engies :P (though it's a very close match). It's for this reason that I dont think changing class mid game would be a good route to take.

-Shink