Author Topic: Other than Airships  (Read 37298 times)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
Re: Other than Airships
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 03:46:14 pm »
It's certainly something that I'm dreaming about which would be quite epic, would it be implemented.

But due to the complexity and limited resources of MUSE, not even talking about preformance issues, it would be quite a pain to implement.

Offline Audie Murphy

• Salutes: 5
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 08:50:58 pm »
Yeah, GOIO gets laggy already when there's more than 16 players on a server. Before they even think about implementing a ship with 12 crew, they'll need to upgrade their servers and optimize their game so that it can handle much larger battles. And again, with Adventure mode being the giant project that it is, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I was thinking ships with maybe 6 crew.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 04:12:54 am »
As said before, 8 people on one ship would sound perfect for me, since there's 4 people on a ship now - 2 ships together makes 8 people on a big ship.

But yeah, Spoon, that's almost the same I wrote before... Sad but true.

Offline Khamael

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:52 am »
Ah well. It was just a thought.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 02:04:49 am »
Don't censor your thoughts just because some of us don't like them man keep shooting em out there for people to discuss!

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 05:15:44 am »
Ofiach is right about that! If there's something on your mind just write it down here. (By the way, there aren't many people disliking your thougths, most of the answers here are just to explain why those ideas probably won't come [soon?]).

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 11:29:16 am »
Yeah it's still always useful with suggestions. And even if it's not possible right now to implement we can atleast see the general public opinion on that certain feature. For example, even though MUSE has declared that boarding is never going to happen, one wonders what would happen if literally every player wanted it (ok maybe not boarding but other certain features that'd be more feasible). If a lot of players want it, it's really worth taking time to think about.

Offline Audie Murphy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 11:34:13 pm »
Well, here's what I would like to see (keep in mind that I'm not taking balancing or ease of implementation into account, just thinking of what would be fun):

Muse upgrades their servers so that 24-player matches become the standard.

3 classes of ships: Frigate, Sky Destroyer, Cloud Cruiser

Frigates: Squid-sized, 3 crew
Sky Destroyers: Pyramidion-size, 4 crew
Cloud Cruisers: Galleon or bigger: 5 crew

Each team would still only get 3 captains, so each team would get one ship from each class (I suppose they could also just get 3 destroyer-class ships, but I'm not sure why they would want to, or how that would be implemented). I think that this could be a really fun way to play GOIO and it would fit the theme of teamwork and role specialization.  Each player has a role to play on their ship defined by their class and loadout, and then they work together with their fellow crew to perform their ship's role within the team.

I think that 8-crew ships should be reserved for special boss fights in Adventure mode, but I think that varying crew sizes slightly would be a great way to add replayability to the core game mechanics.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 10:57:13 am »
Well, here's what I would like to see (keep in mind that I'm not taking balancing or ease of implementation into account, just thinking of what would be fun):

Muse upgrades their servers so that 24-player matches become the standard.

3 classes of ships: Frigate, Sky Destroyer, Cloud Cruiser

Frigates: Squid-sized, 3 crew
Sky Destroyers: Pyramidion-size, 4 crew
Cloud Cruisers: Galleon or bigger: 5 crew

Each team would still only get 3 captains, so each team would get one ship from each class (I suppose they could also just get 3 destroyer-class ships, but I'm not sure why they would want to, or how that would be implemented). I think that this could be a really fun way to play GOIO and it would fit the theme of teamwork and role specialization.  Each player has a role to play on their ship defined by their class and loadout, and then they work together with their fellow crew to perform their ship's role within the team.

I think that 8-crew ships should be reserved for special boss fights in Adventure mode, but I think that varying crew sizes slightly would be a great way to add replayability to the core game mechanics.

That actually sounds really good! Keep going with the ideas! I'd like to see something like that too.
I see one problem on first place though: For the big and the small ships you need an experienced crew if you think of it like Squid and Galleon. The Pyramidion is an easy ship, so everybody can fly as well as be gunner and engineer on that one, but a Squid and a Galleon... I don't quite think you'd get the teams filled. There'd probably be many games with the Destroyer ships filled but empty small and big ships. Furthermore, if for example I wanna play with some friends but we both like to fly Squids...well, it'd either not be allowed to do so or make balance too difficult to calculate.

Since I don't think that the bosses in the Adventure mode will be playable by humans, I really would like to see them in skirmish at least, so we can use them (or at least one).

Going into the balance issues (and yes, I know you just wanted to present your idea, which is really good!, but just showing every side of the possibility Im gonna write that down too), I don't think that 3 people on a Squid are enough to keep it alive - 5 people on a Galleon though makes it almost invincible as the ships stand now. Only making 1 big and 1 small ship available for every team destroys some different tactis though, and making them available in any mass is...well, just as we do now but with different crews (see above).
I'm not even gonna start with implementation.

Offline Audie Murphy

• [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 12:20:33 pm »
That actually sounds really good! Keep going with the ideas! I'd like to see something like that too.
I see one problem on first place though: For the big and the small ships you need an experienced crew if you think of it like Squid and Galleon. The Pyramidion is an easy ship, so everybody can fly as well as be gunner and engineer on that one, but a Squid and a Galleon... I don't quite think you'd get the teams filled. There'd probably be many games with the Destroyer ships filled but empty small and big ships. Furthermore, if for example I wanna play with some friends but we both like to fly Squids...well, it'd either not be allowed to do so or make balance too difficult to calculate.

Thanks! Glad you liked the idea! One of the devs once mentioned to me that the squid was actually originally a 3-person ship. In any case, it has not been my experience that players shy away from crewing squids or galleons. Especially galleons. A lot of new players jump into the game wanting to have the biggest ship in the sky. I do however think that you might be right about the squids. They have a high skill ceiling, which many players might find intimidating.

Since I don't think that the bosses in the Adventure mode will be playable by humans, I really would like to see them in skirmish at least, so we can use them (or at least one).

Going into the balance issues (and yes, I know you just wanted to present your idea, which is really good!, but just showing every side of the possibility Im gonna write that down too), I don't think that 3 people on a Squid are enough to keep it alive - 5 people on a Galleon though makes it almost invincible as the ships stand now. Only making 1 big and 1 small ship available for every team destroys some different tactis though, and making them available in any mass is...well, just as we do now but with different crews (see above).

The thing with letting the players choose any mass for their ships is that the total crew has to be 12.

And yeah, balancing it would be way hard, but there's a few ideas that I thought might work. What if the larger ships' hull armor was spread throughout multiple components, which corresponded to different areas. This forces more people into the engineering role to keep the ship alive without making it too fragile. It also makes it vulnerable to focus fire. Throw in another reduction in their manueverability, and the result is a ship that is merely specialized, instead of overpowered.

Likewise, by consolidating the vital components of the squid and other frigates, you make it so that keeping them in full repair is much easier, which frees up more time for the engineer to gun. And the reduction in manueverability that the Cruisers suffer makes it absolutely viable for a frigate to sit in their blind spot and knock out their engines.

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 12:40:33 pm »
ATTACK THE FORT MODE!!!!!!

Defenders are on the ground protecting from airships, airships destroy key objectives... discuss 

(can't wait for the negativity on this :') )

Offline Darcain

• Salutes: 0
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 03:57:15 am »
Very large ships sounds like an awesome idea, I'd actually love to have engineers actively divvy up where they are and what they are going to do between themselves, they'd be vital to keeping everything up as most would probably be dedicated to repairing and rebuilding everything everywhere on the ship.

And something that could be quite cool, what if there's a mode where one team has one massive ship, basically the boss, LOTS of heavy and light guns on the hull to shoot at the smaller ships with while the other team is spread across multiple ships all trying to take down the boss, this would require careful balancing though since it could easily turn to the boss either being near immortal or the smaller ships incredibly easily overwhelming the boss.

Something else that might be interesting would be battles with simply more ships, something like a 6v6 or 8v8, maybe 10v10 if your servers can handle it, would be interesting, maybe even have the possibility for captains on either team to be able to "join" their crews and ships together before the match to form a big ship.

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 05:54:24 am »
some new game modes:

search and destroy: one teams carries a bomb and tries to drop it on a spot as the other team tries to stop them.
assault: one team defends a spot and the others attack to take over the spot.
team deathmatch hardcore: its like every normal game but this time you only have 1 live, first team that exterminate the other team wins.
free for all: everyone against everyone.
VIP: each team has a VIP ship that needs to be defended, you score points by killing the enemy VIP ship.

Offline Darcain

• Salutes: 0
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:38 am »
A free for all sounds like something that could be quite fun with 8 ships in total.

Offline Khamael

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:43 pm »
I found another page discussing the idea of a boiler room. This would go will with larger airships like those discussed here.

https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1325.msg22021.html#msg22021