Author Topic: Go AFK Functionality Change  (Read 7353 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Go AFK Functionality Change
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
I have two problems with the way the Go AFK button currently works.

1. The AI that replaces the player is set to take a certain kit. This isn't hard to abuse. For example, the main engineer on the Pyramidion can run a buff hammer, then go AFK the moment fires get lit so that the AI can put them out. To fix this, the AI should keep the same tools as the player it's replacing until the countdown for them to rejoin runs out.

2. Teleporting. Every time you return from being AFK, you reappear in the ship's spawn point. This can be used to create various shortcuts: getting from the Mobula's engines to the top deck, getting from the Galleon's guns to the top deck, getting from the Goldfish's main engine to the lower deck, etc. This isn't very hard to exploit. To prevent people from taking advantage of it, here's what I suggest: if the player spend less than 10 seconds AFK, then have the rejoin drop them where they left off. After 10 seconds, have it put them at the spawn point. This should stop its use as a time saver.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Go AFK Functionality Change
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:51 pm »
is this to avoid your recently discovered tactics on how to repair the three engines on the mobula? hehehe :P

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:46:44 pm »
Nah, it's more of a thing that's annoyed me for a while now. When I was testing engine repair circuits today I tried that out, and it reminded me that I should say something.

I have never and would never make use of such tactics in a match, but I know people who have.

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »
In my opinion its just a way of exploiting the game and giving your team an advantage over the other. should definatly be taken care of.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:50:57 pm »
Exactly. It's like tarcide (cue Gilder calling me a whiner :P). It bypasses normal game mechanics to give players using it an edge.

Offline Gambrill

• [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:13 pm »
With tarcide they could make it change the mechanics to perma-hull.... Say instead of damaging it, it forces the amrour repair to take longer? XD

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 05:04:52 pm »
Tarcide has been addressed in the latest release... Gives a kill to the opposing team

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »
How about the AI just take over the player's actions, rather than a new AI character replacing them. They could be marked as "Whoever [AFK]" or something. That way the AI could keep the loadout the real player has, and when the real player returns from AFK, they would regain control at whatever place the AI was standing at the time. That way, no advantage is gained by going AFK.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:06 pm »
Moo, fantastic idea sir. I hope it get's implemented to be honest. But in the mean time, just make it so you can't come back from afk for st least 15 seconds.

Anyone legitimately going afk will be gone for that long.