Author Topic: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)  (Read 75503 times)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus: A Diesel Punk tale ( Rpg proposed rule system)
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2013, 01:21:47 am »
That's correct!
The more we play with the system of rules and abuse them at this point the more we can cut down or add different skills to allow for a balanced play experience.

I definitely want social skills to work with as many actions as a battle does, the use of multiple skills and tools will be imperative to an outstanding success.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2013, 06:48:36 am »
Hey Tim,

If you want someone to help test the social systems of your rpg, I love running social and intregue campaigns in all systems I can get my grubby hands on. I could help you out if you want it.

Cheers,

Qwerty

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 08:11:37 pm »
That would be great Qwerty!
Send a PM to me when you have time to spare so I can have you pick some systems apart.  I'm also modding my first post to include links to all the current google docs for viewing pleasure.
It's very primitive at this stage, so bear that in mind.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:04 am »
Made updates to the google docs and cleaned up some of the information.  Set to start using Perks for the next play test, also have made a "clean" character sheet I'll be giving to the play testers.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2013, 08:06:52 am »
This is starting to look good.
Consider me interested for future play tests.
I'll do what I can to make it.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:25 pm »
This is starting to look good.
Consider me interested for future play tests.
I'll do what I can to make it.
Likewise. The perks still probably need some filing, especially the ones that were minmax. :)

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2013, 04:16:23 am »
Wednesday test game went very, very well.  We added perks, some new weapons and worked out social systems, after that the game is pretty much censored for 18 and under lol.

But really, we worked hard on trying to break the core of the game, and so far it doesn't look like it can be broken with ease, it would take a gross overbalance of stat stacking that would make a character only useful in a very few, limited situations.

Some of the additions...

Skill
Social- Streetwise- Knowledge of the streets, the lower class, and how to move in that world along with small criminal acts.
This skill was added to fill the Larceny position we didnt have.

Actions
Insight- Free action Intelligence + Wisdom (Understand something you can observe or know)
This was added to give the Game Master the ability to weave symbolism into the game space, or provide a hint to the character that might not be communicated well enough to the players for them to understand it without plain speech.

More tools, stat altering consumable items, more guns, Ancient Tech weapons such as the Heavy Karkovian Pistol (a one shot monster of a gun that adds 8L to a shot.  1/2 action to shoot, 1/2 action to reload) and Ancient Submachine gun. (4L Single shot, +5L full auto expends all 15 rounds in gun 1/2 action)

The social interactions also took the form of a progressive story with branching situations and plot twists that might have involved a Baroness of the Fjordlands, a Drug Lord called "The Whale", and the Baronesses powerful Merchant Guild Banker husband Han Tzu. 
Players had to use the full gamut of social skills in order to maximize their profits, survive the intrigue of powerful members of society and make a name for themselves in an increasingly dark world that cares little if they survive to become legends, or forgotten as corpses in the gutter.

Favorite scene of the night

Players are sitting down to dinner with Han Tzu at a poche, expensive restaurant, they are served small avian meals covered in a light, orange sauce and garnished.  The make insight roles that I ask for, each of them, on the symbolism of the meal they are eating, not a single character passes the check.  After receiving troubling news that Han Tzu's wife means to assassinate him, he asks to retire to the lavatory so that he may compose himself, feeling rather sick to the stomach from the sudden news.
This entire night, evidence leads to Han Tzu as being a shrewd businessmen but not a violent or aggressive person, even going to lengths to provide his wife with considerable estates and wealth for a divorce he is planning.  (his wife is a Baronies Baroness, this is important).
Suddenly men arrive, in full military grade body armor and weaponry and shoot up the restaurant.  Han Tzu had planned the entire thing it seems.  The party survives the encounter, and kills Han Tzu.  They might have been forewarned to his treachery had they noticed they had been served ravens for dinner.   

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2013, 05:56:16 pm »
Players are sitting down to dinner with Han Tzu at a poche, expensive restaurant, they are served small avian meals covered in a light, orange sauce and garnished.  The make insight roles that I ask for, each of them, on the symbolism of the meal they are eating, not a single character passes the check.  After receiving troubling news that Han Tzu's wife means to assassinate him, he asks to retire to the lavatory so that he may compose himself, feeling rather sick to the stomach from the sudden news.
This entire night, evidence leads to Han Tzu as being a shrewd businessmen but not a violent or aggressive person, even going to lengths to provide his wife with considerable estates and wealth for a divorce he is planning.  (his wife is a Baronies Baroness, this is important).
Suddenly men arrive, in full military grade body armor and weaponry and shoot up the restaurant.  Han Tzu had planned the entire thing it seems.  The party survives the encounter, and kills Han Tzu.  They might have been forewarned to his treachery had they noticed they had been served ravens for dinner.   

He called me low born, so I gatted him in a toilet stall, so it's fine.

Offline Qwerty Kun

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 23
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »
After blasting a womans stomach out her back

Offline Johny Cyanide

• Salutes: 1
    • [BDGR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »
I really need to get in  on one of these

Offline Papa Paradox

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 31
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
    • Wind and Thunder Gaming
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:46 am »
Wednesdays at 10est, add Tim or me on steam (Steam tags are the same as our IGNs) and if you're around at that time, we'll bring ya in.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2013, 04:46:24 am »
So the next few days I welcome anyone who is interested to look over player actions with an eye for "specialized" actions.
What we are going into now is stepping up from the core systems and onto add on features that will further diversify the games atmosphere and let players make the kind of characters that they really want to, but maintain the balance of play as it currently is.

In last weeks game a change to Melee weapons was proposed, and promptly added so we could test the function in the game space.  The idea was to add the attribute Dexterity instead of Strength for the use of some Melee weapons.

The concept isn't unknown in Pen and Paper games and is often referred to as "Finesse".  That isn't exactly the same idea we had, typically in most Pen and Paper games Dexterity based characters are ranged, rogue or ranger type characters.  In DPT(Diesel Punk Tale) Dexterity doesn't have the same utility, as most ranged weapons, firearms, have been moved to a mental attribute "Awareness" as their base attribute for creating a dice pool.

So, for now "slashing" type melee weapons will use Dexterity as their base attribute.
Additionally I've added another utility for Dex in the Actions "Snap Shot" 1/2 action -3 you may use Dex instead of Awareness for a Firearms roll

Also - "Spot Check" Free action Awareness+Poise, notice something that is hidden, or active stealth.

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:54 am »
Count me in if you're doing any future tests.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2013, 07:54:08 am »
Certainly interesting. I've never played an tabletop RPG (or whatever you call them) before, and I've never planned on doing so. But if it would be anything that would change my mind it would be this.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2013, 08:05:41 am »
Well Spoon, Noghog, add myself or PapaParadox to your steam friends, same names.  Next test will be Wednesday at 10PM Eastern, we had 3 players and myself last time.