Author Topic: Fire! *Suggestion*  (Read 42656 times)

Offline TehPao

• Salutes: 6
    • View Profile
Fire! *Suggestion*
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »
This comes in two parts.

OK. Tar is extremely flammable. After one gets tarred, I want that ship to be somewhat blackened by the the tar. Then, if a flamethrower, flare, or any other flame-inducing weapons shoot a part of the ship, that tarred part should be damaged a bit more with the fire than it usually would.

Fire spreads.
That friggin' "Flaming Goldfish" comes out of nowhere, hitting this "LJ Galleon" balloon. Fire spreads everywhere, and no one has an extinguisher! Oh noes!
If something is on fire and is unattended to, the fire could easily spread to the nearest item. Every... 10 seconds or so.
*Player 1 flames Balloon*
*Balloon fire spreads to Back Gun*
*Back Gun fire spreads to Main Engine*
*Main Engine fire spreads to Bottom Engine 1* etc. etc. etc.

That's all I have to say about that.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Fire! *Suggestion*
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:15:09 pm »
This comes in two parts.

OK. Tar is extremely flammable. After one gets tarred, I want that ship to be somewhat blackened by the the tar. Then, if a flamethrower, flare, or any other flame-inducing weapons shoot a part of the ship, that tarred part should be damaged a bit more with the fire than it usually would.

Squid --> drops tar --> uses rear flamer

Tar is effective enough as it is.

Offline TehPao

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:29 pm »
Squid --> drops tar --> uses rear flamer

Tar is effective enough as it is.
Name tar to something else then? Tar's flammable. Name it to "ROCKS AND STUFF"
Else, my idea is rather cool. Just add a few more fire ticks, and voila! It isn't necessarily game breaking. Just a few more fire ticks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:19:36 pm by TehPao »

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »
Tar's flammable

I don't think realism is Muse's priority here.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:22:26 pm »
I like the idea of fire spreading, or at least getting more intense after a few seconds, aka you cant just let that 1 stack of fire sit on the engine forever you achievement farming wh..... wait what was I saying?

I do like the idea of tar maybe making an extra stack of fire, not really igniting everything just, hey the guy just got tarred our flamethrower now adds 2 stacks instead of one. Flares maybe a full 20 stack.

Offline TehPao

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »
Tar's flammable

Thanks for being critical over everything... Even realism.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:27:00 pm »
Tar's flammable

Thanks for being critical over everything... Even realism.

Look, I'm just saying that good gameplay is more important than it being realistic. So what if tar doesn't catch on fire? Changing its name to something non-flammable wouldn't improve the game at all.

Offline Kestril

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:02 am »
Actually, I like the suggestion. It adds some synergy and options to combat, which is always a good thing.

But yeah, everything shouldn't ignite at once, but tarred ships could be more susceptible to burning while tarred. That sounds fine to me.

Offline TehPao

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 12:13:21 am »
Actually, I like the suggestion. It adds some synergy and options to combat, which is always a good thing.

But yeah, everything shouldn't ignite at once, but tarred ships could be more susceptible to burning while tarred. That sounds fine to me.
Thanks for the feedback. This is what I'm aiming for. Not everything will ignite at once while being tarred, just the part that's being aimed at.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 12:17:18 am »
Why does charging into your own tar cloud to use the shortest range weapon in the game to get a couple extra stacks of fire sound less than ideal to me... >_>

Offline TehPao

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 12:20:04 am »
Why does charging into your own tar cloud to use the shortest range weapon in the game to get a couple extra stacks of fire sound less than ideal to me... >_>
I don't know, could you give me more insight? Seriously. I'm tired of the one liners to down everything. I'm getting more constructive criticism in the in-game chats than mods.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:35 am »
It's a little thing called teamwork..... you see an enemy go through your buddies tar so you slap him with a flare or flamethrower as soon as he exits it.

OR is this just another example of something the almighty goonswarm doesn't want to see so there will be obvious troll responses, just to derail the topic?

EDIT
/ranton
You know what sorry but I'm going off on a tangent to derail the topic even more. Most people who play ingame won't even come to the forums to make suggestions because they know they will just get flamed and wont get any real feedback or ideas from CAs/mods. That is an extremely sad state of affairs for an indie games forums to be in when they are trying to improve on a game and promote it. No new players will stick around for long when they see the good ol boys come in and swoop on any suggestion that isn't to their liking.
/rantoff
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:29:09 am by Ofiach »

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 12:26:40 am »
Well don't take it to heart. When we don't suggest anything, it's safe to assume that we are of the opinion that the proposed suggestion isn't ideal.

No offense really, but tar is strong enough already. I do wish it caught fire, but only as a visual effect honestly.

Spreading fire is interesting, and could offset the high number of stacks it takes to disable a gun, but if you give it a higher priority, you lose the effectiveness some by making engies know they can't leave that fire there else it'll spread. And that timer would need some good balancing, else you risk some OP potential with never ending fires hopping to new components.

Offline TehPao

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:30 am »
Well don't take it to heart. When we don't suggest anything, it's safe to assume that we are of the opinion that the proposed suggestion isn't ideal.

I do take it to heart. I come in wanting something constructive, and stupid one-liners coming from mods is REALLY sad.

No offense really, but tar is strong enough already. I do wish it caught fire, but only as a visual effect honestly.

If it caught fire, I'd set the stack at *Whatever number it originally is* and add 2 or 3 to it. Once set on fire, the tarred part will no longer have tarred effects, and will just be on fire.

Spreading fire is interesting, and could offset the high number of stacks it takes to disable a gun, but if you give it a higher priority, you lose the effectiveness some by making engies know they can't leave that fire there else it'll spread. And that timer would need some good balancing, else you risk some OP potential with never ending fires hopping to new components.

If set on fire, give it ten seconds (experimental, if proven OP, change the seconds), and if it isn't gone within that time frame,  an object in a vicinity of five meters  (again, experimental) will catch fire, and the newly flamed object will have half of the original stack. If that isn't taken care of, it'll move onto a new object, halved from the second object.
Fire to Hull -> 15 stacks
Fire to Engine -> 7 stacks
Fire to Main Engine -> 3 stacks
Fire to Engine 2 -> 1 stack

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 12:51:29 am »
I do take it to heart. I come in wanting something constructive, and stupid one-liners coming from mods is REALLY sad.

Well then my apologies for not conveying my humor in good spirits, as that was the intent.

If it caught fire, I'd set the stack at *Whatever number it originally is* and add 2 or 3 to it. Once set on fire, the tarred part will no longer have tarred effects, and will just be on fire.

I just don't see where this would be happening when someone is in a tar cloud. Plus, the components would already be breaking at a rapid pace at this point, so fire stacks would be meaningless once broken. I can only imagine it on a squid or galleon with a rear flamer, but extra fire stacks wouldn't matter when it came to breaking a mass of components anyway.

If set on fire, give it ten seconds (experimental, if proven OP, change the seconds), and if it isn't gone within that time frame,  an object in a vicinity of five meters  (again, experimental) will catch fire, and the newly flamed object will have half of the original stack. If that isn't taken care of, it'll move onto a new object, halved from the second object.
Fire to Hull -> 15 stacks
Fire to Engine -> 7 stacks
Fire to Main Engine -> 3 stacks
Fire to Engine 2 -> 1 stack

Again, I find it interesting. Makes more sense when you put it that way. It would either be this, or lower the stack requirement to disable guns I think. Curious to see how the logic would look on spreading fires from a design standpoint.