Author Topic: Steam Trading Cards - In the future plz add  (Read 10640 times)

Offline Follken

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
Steam Trading Cards - In the future plz add
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:43:58 pm »
So steam is starting a beta trading card game. As you play steam games cards might drop (either through achievements or just random) into your steam inventory to be crafted or traded. More info here -> http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/

I know the devs are busy with... building the game.. and this is kinda frivolous. But why not? :D

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Trading Cards - In the future plz add
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:04:45 am »
I was going to make a topic, but I'll just revive this one instead. More games have been added to the Steam Trading Cards beta, and I would personally LOVE to see GoIO get involved. I realize this would take time and resources away from actually productive things, but there will be players who check out this game simply because it has cards.

Seeing as this is the only game I currently 'care' about, the pointless collector in me REALLY wants to invest time and money into pointless GoIO icons, backgrounds, badges, etc. I'm pretty sure the game itself nets a small percentage of profit from all items sold on the Steam Marketplace. In a relatively small game with rabid fans like this, the price of cards and items has the potential to be relatively high. I know I'd pay ~$2 per card that I didn't get on the drop, but I couldn't tell you WHY...

How much work would this actually take, and has the "steam representative" made any contact with Steam about this?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:11:46 am »
I vaguely remember Muse mentioning on Facebook that they plan on implementing this, but I can't say for sure...

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:42 am »
I guess it's up to Valve to enable it: link

They add games to the trading cards thingie Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Offline dragonmere

• [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:57:28 am »
Well, thats a better reply that I could have asked for. Thank you for the info. Perhaps next week we get a content patch, AND Steam Cards? That would be great.

Offline Follken

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:18:00 pm »
Yay! I didn't even notice posts until today. Glad to see others share interest!

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 08:46:09 am »
I vaguely remember Muse mentioning on Facebook that they plan on implementing this, but I can't say for sure...

Somebody asked about that, and the response looks like what you guys were hoping for:

"Are the Trading Cards still planned for the summer sale?"

"Yes! We have some revisions to make on Monday, then we should be set."

From GoIO Facebook

Offline Gomidog

• Salutes: 3
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »
So, you should be seeing trading cards soon!

Offline evodoc

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:08 pm »
And it's on now!

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:17:48 am »
So now that cards are dropping, and I imagine most regular players have had their 5 cards drop..

Worthwhile?

Or just another drag on the game, with 60+ folk hanging round in the lobby and not playing to farm their cards, or joining crews and standing on deck doing nothing farming their cards, or in a few rare occasions actively p'ing about on-ship and damaging the play experience for other players.

You may have guessed that I've made my mind up about the whole thing..

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 07:46:33 am »
Yeah, think its safe to say...card farmers must die. String them up by their pinkies!!

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 07:49:02 am »
If it gives Muse more money, than I definitely think it's worthwhile :) plus, this will also add some new guys who actually want to play the game... wait a month, and see who stays. Those are the select few who I'm looking forward to playing with someday

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 11:30:19 am »
There was a big increase in player numbers (but not really game numbers) for a few days when the cards were introduced, but now back to normal levels. I expect most of those were players who already had the game and had basically given up on it, but returned briefly to idle enough to get their cards.

Offline dragonmere

• [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 12:33:37 pm »
Love it or hate it, STC is out of beta and now a part of Steam.  Honestly, I found the initial wave of idlers to be totally respectful. When the game was added, there were about ~300 idling players, and no real disturbances in game or in regional chat. I didn't have any issues with idling players joining lobbies/ships, but I can see where that might have happened in a few instances.

If you don't care for the system, simply sell your cards on Steam Marketplace, and you'll have ~$1.50 in your Steam Wallet to spend on an in-game costume.

Personally, I got my "Gold Medal" level 5 badge, and all drops (EXCEPT Ruined Cityscape :(). I can't say I really care about STC in general, but if a badge pops up for a game I actually thoroughly enjoy, the pointless collector in me will probably level the badge all the way up.