Author Topic: Adventure mode release format - potential issue?  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Bill the Ineptitude

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Adventure mode release format - potential issue?
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »
Hi, I'm completely new to the forums so bear with me :P

I would like to congratulate Muse on the successful Kickstarter campaign for Adventure mode. However, as we know, they did not reach the goal $500k which included all elements of Adventure mode.

(from the KickStarter FAQ)
What happens if you don't reach your stretch goals?

This is a Kickstarter for the Adventure Mode DLC so you will get Adventure Mode no matter what.  If we don't come close to our $500,000 target then we'll have to re-evaluate our launch strategy.  Being indie, cash flow is extremely important so we'll most likely have to release content in smaller DLC packages.  For example, co-op functionality will be released first.  Everyone who backs this project will get a Season Pass to all DLC content no matter what our strategy is.  So if we're able to release Adventure in one big DLC, you'll get it.  If we have to split things up into smaller DLC, you'll still get it.

Now this all seems well and good, but a potential issue occurred to me.

If adventure mode is released in bits, as DLC, will that not fracture the community? Those that backed on KS will get it all, of course. But those that are buying it piecemeal will get part of it, and then when the next part comes along, with a new kind of game mode or new world, will those still playing on the 'older' version find themselves in a suddenly unpopulated world?

I don't know that I have gotten my point across very well, but my fear is that by splitting adventure mode up into little parts, if those parts deliver a whole 'new' world, will there be a big problem with a fractured community?

Offline Bauldr

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode release format - potential issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:15:42 pm »
I think I see your concers. That if they release as multi DLC the players that have it will be off on the new content leaving the other players to fend for themselves?

I don't think that this will be a problem as I see the multi DLC as more towns and whatnot on the same overworld. That is The game will be more or less the same after the DLC but the players that have it would have access to a few new towns and routes. The old routes would still need to be traveled to get from place to place.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:30:50 pm »
I imagined the DLC to be more fundamental. For example, we didn't hit the econopolitical system. (needed 350k, got 200k so not close).

If this is having to be held back till a later paid DLC, then surely that will require a whole new world?

Other things, perhaps not. But this seems fundamental to the world, so would need its own servers.

Offline shadowsteel

• Salutes: 18
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:51:40 pm »
I think it's gonna be more like a season pass. There will be one fee that will include all future Adventure Mode DLC. Which is what the Kickstarter backers are getting.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:55 pm »
I'm not worried about me as a backer. But a season pass indicates multiple DLCs which non-backers will purchase individually. But if you are not on the most up-to-date version (newest DLC), you will be split off from the main game.

I don't quite see how the whole of adventure mode can be split up so you can just buy one bit, too. For example, just buying the very newest DLC, the older stuff, the groundwork of adventure mode, would be missing.

We'll have to see when it is 'announced' what they are doing, just bringing it up to their attention.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »
Well the DLC release plan is far from final. So we don't know atm if they're gonna go everything for one fee, or divide it into separate paid DLC's. But if it's the latter, you'll still be able to communicate and play with people with different DLC's in the same world. The DLC buyers won't be transferred to a new updated world while those who didn't stays behind. They'll just not be able to make use of all the things the new DLC provides.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 04:23:36 pm »
I hope so, and I am aware its not at all final - better to bring this up now rather than after a release strategy is decided on, in case it is overlooked.

My problem is I think that may not be possible on some of the larger things. Mainly the econo-political system. How can that be cut out so that in one world, some players 'have use' of it and others don't? It seems like a more integral part of the game.

Personally, I would prefer a single-buy strategy for players, but I am fully aware that this may not be possible for financial reasons. Buy once, at current state, and it gets updated as more of the systems are brought in.

Or, at least, one buy for co-op mode, and then another buy for adventure mode full, which is again updated as it grows.

Offline GrimWinter

• Salutes: 2
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21:45 am »
I had seen it as "you pay and get all of the content as it comes out" which makes most sense to me, but I guess we don't know.