Author Topic: Guns of Icarus RPG  (Read 16918 times)

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Guns of Icarus RPG
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:13 pm »
Some people were talking about how cool an Icarus Pen and Paper RPG would be for this game, in this thread: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,1061.0.html

so I thought, "what the hell".

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rM6hXdyYvL4fZm56lkZKhBB_Dhnk7kHtZ54zCRYYeOc/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:19:37 pm by Squash »

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Guns of Icarus RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:33 pm »
The mortar is both more accurate and more damaging than the flack.

Offline Squash

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:20:06 pm »
Actually it's more damaging but less accurate.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »
By accuracy I think he means spread.

Offline Squash

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:01:09 am »
Wait, do you mean in reality?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 06:31:36 pm »
So I've taken a look at your google doc. and I really, really want to make a RPG with just the characters themselves.
I'd go d10 system, but success base not percent.  Modeled more after the World of Darkness method, so there wouldn't be classes per say, but Archetypes that a player can model their character after to achieve a sort of balance of class.

Offline Squash

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »
What I made is closer to a card game, it's combat only, since Icarus is currently combat only.

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »
I'd be willing to DM for people if any of this gets into the air. I have a big history of Roleplay, living on one of the only RolePlay-based schools in the world for a year.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »
Wait what? Let's just offtopic this for a sec to force RethBurn to tell me more.

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:11 pm »
Also, for the rounds? I suggest to make it more of a Aura-based thing, like in the beta. You pick a specific Gun-ammo and get those rolls along for it, Imagine DnD Wizards Spell-prepping with guns.

Østerskov Efterskole, sort of like an optional boarding school in denmark, the classes are based around scenarios. For example, you'd have one week where everything was based around a Star Trek-like adventure, where everyone is acting like Roles on a space-ship, while learning at the same time. It's abit messy, Once I had to be a Bartender in Salem, and when people "ordered booze", I'd give them a glass of red-soda and a test, the more they fail on it, the more drunk they had to act.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:29:35 am »
Ok for reals, I'm writing it up as we speak on my iPad, A D10 character rpg in the GOI space.
Might be able to post the basics to tonight on a separate thread, I hope, where we can have heated debates about skills and locations, and how much I ripped off world of darkness.

Offline ATeddyBear

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 12
    • [HRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:53:32 am »
What I made is closer to a card game, it's combat only, since Icarus is currently combat only.

I would akin it to a board game using a system similar to Fantasy Flights d10 based games.

To make it an RPG we really need skills, Both for combat (Jury-rigging, Deadeye Stop, Crazy Ivan) and non-combat (Charm/Impress, History, Research, Drinking Games). Along with alignments, lore, etc.

Saying that though. I would love to help out. 90% (10% is DnD 3.5) of my tabletop experience, both as a GM and a player, is in Palladium Megaverse RPG's. So that would be like Rifts, Palladium Fantasy, Dead Regin, etc. Most of my ideas and stuff will be based around that.

Offline RethBurn

• CA Mod
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
If we ask nicely we can perhaps get a nice high-res world map from MUSE to work with. IT should simplify the setup, and make it easier for GM to pick a route of travel. Also stats for Bi-planes.

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 08:37:17 pm »
Fortunately they are slowly revealing more bits of lore in some of the updates. A basic "world primer" would be great though. Some kind of document from muse with a summary of the basic bits of the world and such. Faction descriptions (which we're getting), some sort of basic timeline, famous figures (besides Gabriel), and a little about what people eat and drink and what world specific goods are famed for their quality and price. Things like that.

And a map of Sylka. Well ok maybe that is asking too much... =P

I'd stay away from alignment though. The GoI world strikes me as greyer place than the black and white good-evil/law-chaos system of D&D.

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 08:45:02 pm »
Although you could discuss alignments endlessly (it ain't simple even if it looks like it), but yeah, no alignment-system as it would be quite useless in a world like GoI.

I think biplanes and the like should be a GM's option whether to stat or just make them one-hit-one kill type of setup. I'd love to see the system develop in a way that focuses more on the ship and crew-relations between battles, and that man-vs-man type of combat would be rare.