Author Topic: What makes a good captain?  (Read 25062 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: What makes a good captain?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 07:29:04 pm »
When captaining a Pyra I jump off the helm to fix the hull in a 1v1 slug fest. I would prefer my upstairs shooters keeping up their rate of fire than trying to save the ship. I try to time my departure just before the hull goes down and I go back to the helm just before the hull goes up (that way my engineer is assured the last tap with a mallet). If I time it right we can get the armor back before the last flack of the clip hits us. It is a highly situational move, and one that only works if the enemy is stationary (pyra v pyra).

In preparation to leave the helm. I burn moonshine on neutral for .5 of a second to cancel out any turning momentum, then if the engines are even I put the ship in a slight backwards velocity. This gives the highest chance of my guns staying on target while I am away from the helm.

The only time I gun as a captain is on the galleon when my side guns have target, and my engie is too busy with the hull.

I have also been known to fix the hull and balloon on a galleon and the balloon on a junker. I even go as far as fixing engines if they are all down and there is no point for me being on the helm.

Outside of these rare instances I am always on the helm as captain.

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 09:46:08 am »
I noticed that yelling "FIRE EVERYTHING" as soon as the enemy is in range gives me a lot of popularity.

But honestly I think that a good captain should use the mic to communicate with his crew and never get mad if a crewmember underperforms. Just give advice, not criticism. Make the game fun for everyone and the crew will love you for it even if you lose.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 01:50:17 pm »
I am perhaps a bad captain then because I do get mad at my crew and I let them know it.
I have uttered the phrases:
"we die here for your incompetence."
"You can't be trusted with the hull, go upstairs and shoot a gun. Leave the engineering to a real man"
and my personal favorite:
"I will have you flogged for insubordination under fire"

I know it is just a game, but the captain's roll in this game is to be a harsh unforgiving taskmaster, who pushes the ship and its crew to their limits. Any thing less and you are not a "good captain."