Author Topic: Occupations and Careers  (Read 47608 times)

Offline Sonoskay

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Occupations and Careers
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 12:08:31 am »
I recently graduated with a degree in medieval history. Now I work in IT as a systems support analyst for a library consortium... not sure how I ended up in that career but it happened and that's that.  8)
Ill be honest Im a bit of a history buff.. But i have to ask What time period is considerd "Medieval" Post Byzantine? Post Roman?

Cus if i had a real choice in what i would study i would Probably choose medieval history. I cant get enough of Byzantine history,

Offline Morblitz

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 35
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 01:58:22 am »
I work in a school as behavioural and classroom support but mainly I am a Psychological Science Honours student working on my thesis to finish my degree.

Offline Sentinel Guy

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 06:08:48 am »
I recently graduated with a degree in medieval history. Now I work in IT as a systems support analyst for a library consortium... not sure how I ended up in that career but it happened and that's that.  8)
Ill be honest Im a bit of a history buff.. But i have to ask What time period is considerd "Medieval" Post Byzantine? Post Roman?

Cus if i had a real choice in what i would study i would Probably choose medieval history. I cant get enough of Byzantine history,

Well my course started with Charlemagne and ran through to the Tudors, so late 700s through to about 1600.  Everything after I would class as early modern.

I focused on Edward I and his invasion of Wales mostly.  I love castles :D

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 06:17:45 am »
I watch a lot of QI, and the J-series has a 'Jubious Theories' thing where they say the Charlemagne period of history was made up by a king who wanted to be king in 1000 AD.  Viable?

Offline Sentinel Guy

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 07:49:27 am »
Well if there was no Charlemagne then that means he never had a daughter, and if there is no daughter then there is no marriage to the Norse chieftain Rollo, which means that the entire history of Normandy in France is a lie!

It also means that I shouldn't exist as I am now not descended from Charlemagne (my family tree can be traced through Robertus de Villapari vel. de Sancto Leodegario and the family story has always been that the St Leger's were descendants of the bastard son of Geoffrey of Eu, one of Richard I of Normandy's sons).

To be honest it's not that big a deal either way for me... my ancestors gambled the money away on stupid expeditions to Eldorado with Raleigh (a distant cousin), and then had too many daughters so the rest was spent marrying them off.

And before anyone asks - no I am not rich and did not go to a posh school and university. I am working class and wouldn't have it any other way :D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:56:42 am by Sentinel Guy »

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2013, 10:42:55 am »
I work retail. This means a reliably unreliable work schedule. I have an accounting degree that I do nothing with. If anyone here would like an accountant, and can firmly commit to giving me Saturdays/Sundays off for GoIO tournaments, shoot me a line. All I ask is that you pay for review classes and fees so I can sit on the CPA exam. I expect my inbox to fill up with job offers...  ::)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »

which means that the entire history of Normandy in France is a lie!

That is just the sort of thing I expect the people in the south of France to lie about.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:52:47 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »
I'm a student who wasted his time on bachelor studies on West Pomeranian University of Technology in Computer Science. Oh, and now I'm doing master studies...

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2013, 05:58:04 pm »

which means that the entire history of Normandy in France is a lie!
That is just the sort of thing I expect the people in the south of France to lie about.

As somebody who lived in Southern France, I can confirm that they hate the North.

Ok, maybe not entirely, but they do hate Paris. Everybody hates Paris.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 06:06:33 pm »
I just hate France.  I don't discriminate.

Offline Sonoskay

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2013, 08:28:38 pm »

Well my course started with Charlemagne and ran through to the Tudors, so late 700s through to about 1600.  Everything after I would class as early modern.

I focused on Edward I and his invasion of Wales mostly.  I love castles :D
Fair enough. Celtic and english history is pretty interesting. I Enjoyed learning about Alexios I  Komnrnos and the first crusade.

Have to say im slightly jellous.... XD

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2013, 08:47:15 pm »
Butt Soup.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:14 pm »
I work in a school as behavioural and classroom support but mainly I am a Psychological Science Honours student working on my thesis to finish my degree.

do you have to go through the whole CBT? i'm an engineer and its really not my true calling, i've always wanted to help people. what are your experiences? any advice etc.?

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2013, 02:21:44 pm »
I currently am working as a paramedic whilst preparing studies in psychology. (Those two go surprisingly well together, since you gain experience at work. Not so much with patients but your co-workers. There mostly somewhat crazy...)

Offline TracyJackson

• Salutes: 3
    • [TAW]
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Warfare community
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2013, 08:03:15 am »
I'm a college student up in CT, but lives in Texas. I'm in my school's dual-degrees program, getting both my JD and my BA in PoliSci at the same time. So afterward, I aim to start off in corporate law, either that or diplomatic services.