Author Topic: Kicking crew members  (Read 9546 times)

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
Kicking crew members
« on: February 23, 2013, 10:28:09 am »
Since I started playing I've wanted a way to kick crew members from your crew as captain. It makes sense - it's your crew, you give the orders.

Thoughts?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking crew members
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:48:10 am »
This has been discussed many times in the past, and it's generally agreed that while this system would be helpful for getting rid of some of the more... difficult players, there would be far too much room for abuse from trolls and the like. Muse just implemented an auto-kick feature for AFK players, though, so that's a big help.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
How about vote kicking?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:53:02 pm »
That's also been looked at, and while it's a much more viable option than captains kicking at will, there's always the risk of people trolling, or experienced players kicking newcomers just so that they can get somebody else on. This would have a largely negative effect on the community (especially new players), and that negative side may very well outweigh the positive side.

And if you really have a nasty troll on your crew, don't worry. Those guys don't usually spend much time on the same ship anyways. And if you find a newcomer who's doing a really bad job, you can try explaining the game to them. If that doesn't work, you can always look for another ship.

Offline Furrymessiah

• Salutes: 3
    • [NAF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:03:33 pm »
The problem is, with pack/herd mentality, most people who are given an option to vote-kick a player will vote yes just out of instinct. I think TotalBiscuit had an editorial on that at one point during one of his videos.

The risk of kick abuse is too high right now. On the bright side, however, it's easy to switch lobbies, and most of the newer players match-hop constantly. If someone annoys you, wait a while.

Offline Jazzza

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:15:07 am »
I don't think it should notify everyone that the vote kick has started, I think that it should be silent. When a player votes to kick a player, it just adds an X to that player's name, and after 3 Xs (or whatever) it'll kick.