Author Topic: Drogue Chute  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Drogue Chute
« on: May 19, 2013, 01:18:53 am »
Basically, I want to hear tactics with the Drogue Chute.  Recently, to me, it seems that people go as high as they can, get their balloons busted, and then Drogue Chute down, which I find irrelevant.

Since the Drogue Chute is used mostly when balloons are busted, that means the weapons in play would be the carronades or Lumberjack, and utilizing the chute at a high altitude just makes you an easy target for both of those guns, and any other gun out there.  Even with the Carronade fix, your slow decent can now easily be matched to any ship tailing you with a Carronade, thus keeping your balloon a nice target to blast out again.

So, when would you want to utilize this weapon?  For me, it seems to be right before you hit the ground nowadays....if I were to use this tool.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Drogue Chute
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:52 am »
It buys time.  Especially if they're facing your guns down.  By mostly maintaining altitude and (more importantly) giving your engineers more time to fix more things, you can keep your guns in their face, as well as not have to choose between hull and balloon, if it comes to that.  It also slows your descent rate, which means you don't hit the ground as fast, so less collision damage.  I only use it when the other team has all anti-balloon builds, however.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:03:45 am »
You dont use it to go as high as possible and then get your baloon popped, but so you can laugh in the face of blenderfish while killing it with Gat/Mortar or Gat/Flak combo. It also tremendeously helps agains lumberjacks.

Offline NikolaiLev

• Salutes: 4
    • [Fur]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:46:28 pm »
I would far rather just make use of Impact Bumpers.  They offer me much more utility, in that I can save myself from crashes, protect against enemy rams, do ramming myself, and I can counter carronades by using it when being grounded.  It's also nice as a brake tool.

Drogue chute?  Meh.  Never used it.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:57:05 pm »
Whenever I fly a ship that's style calls for being lower to the ground, I take drouge chute for the extra time for repairs.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 05:10:23 pm »
Whenever I fly a ship that's style calls for being lower to the ground, I take drouge chute for the extra time for repairs.

You're a terrible grammar Nazi! First, you got the possessive of "that" wrong, opting to use a contraction of "that is" instead. Then you misspelled "drogue". Granted, the second mistake isn't strictly grammar, but still...

Carry on discussing, people.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
I would far rather just make use of Impact Bumpers.  They offer me much more utility, in that I can save myself from crashes, protect against enemy rams, do ramming myself, and I can counter carronades by using it when being grounded.  It's also nice as a brake tool.

Drogue chute?  Meh.  Never used it.

Drogue is for the whole way down, not just hitting the grounds.