Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 322071 times)

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
Re: The Mobula
« Reply #480 on: August 03, 2013, 09:10:30 pm »
i actually brightened the ladders and made them way more obvious (maybe. . to obvious) part of the amazing mobula ladder patch coming up >>

and sadly with damage states i can't actually change the collision between damage states, its one collision mesh to suit them all which limits things alot.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #481 on: August 03, 2013, 09:15:22 pm »
I would much rather do some floating to the tune of "My Heart Will Go On" than not at all.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 04, 2013, 12:18:28 am »
I sometimes have problems jumping to the lower guns on a mobula because the ladders are like magnets, snapping me out of the air. Kinda funny to me that you have the opposite experience.

it could be where I'm trying to jump from is the issue.

I did some testing - standing at the foot of a ladder and jumping straight on doesn't work, you don't stick. Jumping at an approx, 45 degree angle towards one of the side rails works

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: August 04, 2013, 12:59:30 am »
Maybe have those strap things that hold the balloon below the mobula spring loose?

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 07, 2013, 10:16:06 am »
I've come to really love this ship but would certainly appreciate a little more survivability. Easier to engineer would be nice, sure, but I think upping the armor would do it for me as well. Maybe

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 07, 2013, 11:58:53 am »
It was designed to be a glass cannon.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:33 pm »
Less glass cannon and more a cannon that is a pain to keep working properly, but when it does it does it well.

Offline RomanKar

• Salutes: 14
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:47 pm »
I did a lot of flying on the Mobula over the weekend.  I found it to balanced just about right.  Only complaint I ever really heard was, "I really wish there were ladders back here."

Now that I've found a build I like, a lot, a whole lot, like most fun I've had since I started playing the game, I really enjoy the Mobula and find it isn't nearly as bad to engineer and all that as I first thought.  It's just a ship that operates a good bit differently than the other ships.

Comparisons to the Spire are not correct.  The Mobula is the glass cannon the Spire maybe should have been.

I find that the only repairing to be done is right after you kill whatever is trying to kill you.  Otherwise you'll just die on the way to the hull.

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 07, 2013, 12:41:12 pm »
I'm not saying make it into a galleon I'm saying that the engineers could benefit from having a little extra time to navigate the fairly long pathways between many of the ships components. Even the spire has that ladder for a quicker route between the hull and the balloon. Maybe the additions of the back ladders will be enough or maybe not. I won't know till I get to play the changes

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »
I tested out the new Mobula on the preview build - the back ladders are in and the geometry in the back also allows for jumping from the lower section up (I couldn't get it quite right, but I only tried for a minute). It makes doing an engine loop possible (still a bit slow), but doesn't change gun->hull->gun time at all. You could do a hull->engine,engine,engine->balloon run now, but the hull->balloon time is still rough. Better I think to have double engineers. The AI still has great difficulty.

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:57 pm »
I tested out the new Mobula on the preview build - the back ladders are in and the geometry in the back also allows for jumping from the lower section up (I couldn't get it quite right, but I only tried for a minute). It makes doing an engine loop possible (still a bit slow), but doesn't change gun->hull->gun time at all. You could do a hull->engine,engine,engine->balloon run now, but the hull->balloon time is still rough. Better I think to have double engineers. The AI still has great difficulty.

this is what I was saying earlier -given that the engie will mostly be either at the central wing component (hull, balloon) or the gun mount it won't speed anything up to add a second ladder it just gives you a choice of which bottleneck to use. The only thing you can do is to jump onto the ladder to save a bit of time.

I'd prefer to see an engie parkour added to the rear turning engine platform rather than a ladder.

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:52 am »
The ladders on the back of the ship will make it possible for one engineer to repair or buff all 3 engines.

Offline Elendu

• Salutes: 2
    • [CsM]
    • View Profile
    • MeinKraft Online
« Reply #492 on: August 08, 2013, 12:25:50 pm »
Ladders at the back engines were the first thing that came to my mind.  You can jump down the backside, but then why cant you get back up without running through a hallway?  I like the way this changes conventional ship manning.  Team coordination and communication are key to success in any boat in the sky, but with the Mobula its requisite for SURVIVAL.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 08, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »
  Team coordination and communication are key to success in any boat in the sky, but with the Mobula its requisite for SURVIVAL.

i like the way that sounds :P the mobula was always planned to need two engineers taking command of either side of the ship working together more or less, while controlling the balance of power so to speak between repair and firepower. its just a matter of ironing out things to make this concept work as well as possible with out driving people away. with that said, the only thing we wouldn't do is bridge the two inner rooms together. that would ultimately make things faaaarr two easy.

at first i wasn't sure how much the back ladders would change things up, but it does ease alot of pain of getting between engines. going to take the evolution of the mobula step by step right now. i always find players find ways to make things work where you least expect it if you give them time to, even if it means players having to change up there normal builds/routines to do so

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 08, 2013, 01:48:45 pm »
Any considerations for more ways up to the top gun?