Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 320211 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: The Manta Ray
« Reply #180 on: June 18, 2013, 03:04:17 am »
Actually...let's think of like this...

We have a Lumberjack gun...Lumberjacks cut down trees...what else can cut down trees?  A Herring.

The ship should be called the Herring...

Offline Serenum

• Salutes: 12
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:59 am »
How about "Man o' war"?
The ship kinda looks like a big jellyfish, like the actual portugese man o' war: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_-SFpDbEmeM/UFyMmxNyp3I/AAAAAAAAEs8/PGj_7F3xt8A/s1600/P-Man-o-War%5B1%5D.jpg expecially if you add some kind of sail or crest on top!
And of course "Man o' war" is also the name of an actual warship:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-of-war

I think it fits quite well!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:31:43 am by Serenum »

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 18, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
Well, if we are going to give it new names, I've been thinking Taurus for a while. It's big and bulky, but if you get the horns, your going to have a bad time.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 18, 2013, 07:34:59 am »
How about "Man o' war"?
The ship kinda looks like a big jellyfish, like the actual portugese man o' war: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_-SFpDbEmeM/UFyMmxNyp3I/AAAAAAAAEs8/PGj_7F3xt8A/s1600/P-Man-o-War%5B1%5D.jpg expecially if you add some kind of sail or crest on top!
And of course "Man o' war" is also the name of an actual warship:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-of-war

I think it fits quite well!

It does sound good (except that the Man O' War isn't a jellyfish, it's just related to them :P)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #184 on: June 18, 2013, 09:42:30 am »
Well, we're back to sea creatures.

Looks like your streak may continue, LordFunPants.

I do like the Man o' War.

The creature (when seen from the side) looks a lot like the ship in question (when seen from the top): http://i1.treknature.com/photos/261/portugese-man-of-war.jpg 

The Man o' War is bulky and puffy (like our ship) has a dignified ring to it (like our ship) and a quick wiki search provides us with this fact:

"Despite its outward appearance, the man o' war is not a jellyfish but a siphonophore, which differs from jellyfish in that it is not actually a single organism, but a colonial organism made up of many minute individuals called zooids."

Sure sounds like a well-functioning crew to me.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:23 am »
oh and just to note with the fishy streak. . . the Spire was almost called Babel ,. . . another type of fish so to speak :P

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 18, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
How funny, I was discussing the Man O War thing last night. We were talking about just general names for Airships.

Yes, I like Man O War~

Offline Plasmarobo

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 18, 2013, 11:00:27 am »
Babel ,. . . another type of fish so to speak :P

What you did there, I see. - Yoda

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2013, 11:30:30 am »
I'm liking the bird names. Looks like it even has a little beak in the lower front of the ship. Maybe if or when ship customization becomes a thing that'll be a section that could be fun to alter

Offline Enjix

• Salutes: 3
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2013, 02:37:52 pm »
So, after looking at the picture a bit, it seems a very similar jump to the junker's gun jump can be made from the outer top guns to the lower guns.

Given that the current meta is that you shoot the gat first, and then you shoot the flak. This would allow 2 gunners to get 4 guns on the target. Strip the hull first with 2 gats, and then jump down to finish them with 2 flaks.

This may not work against squids or goldfish, due to their quick rebuild time. The delay between dismounting the gun, making the jump, remounting a different gun, and aiming on target would definitely be noticeable. The time taken to climb back up to the gats even more so. For this, the normal 1 gat, 1 flak would work, with the option of the pass being made on the left or the right. Against all the other ships though, it would be tough to get the hull up in time, and 8 flak shots would kill any ship, even the galleon.

Of course, provided the main engi isn't repairing anything at the time, the center gun would be great for a field gun, artemis, or banshee. Which would be used to provide some extra range/disable.

So even though five guns on a four man ship doesn't make much sense, if you stagger the fire times (like you do), it could be very possible to make use of all of them without ever having the pilot leave the helm.

Note: I'm talking about using exclusively flak instead of flak or mortar for 2 reasons:
The first being heavy ammo is common for both gat and flak, but not for mortar. Allowing the guns to be manned by engineers, rather than gunners. Which means in addition to having more repair and fire removal on-board, those 4 guns can now be buffed as well.

The second reason is that the mortar takes a few shots to sight in during most situations, which would add a considerable amount of time to required to switch from the piercing weapons to the explosive weapons.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2013, 02:46:28 pm »
The other reason is that the mortar doesn't have as much arc as the flak, so getting two on one target would be tough.

That'd definitely be interesting to try. You'd only have a few degrees to work with, but that'd be offset by the length/width of the ship facing you, so there'd actually be a good chance of making it work. If done right, it could be fantastically OP.

So even though five guns on a four man ship doesn't make much sense

It makes sense for the same reason that it makes sense on a Junker or a Galleon. You can have two different broadsides with two different strategies. Have a sniper side and a brawler side, or a brawler side and a utility side. I wrote a whole lot on that subject earlier in this thread.

Offline Plasmarobo

• [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2013, 03:49:29 pm »
5 flares, 1 balloon.
Gunner fires top, engineers fire side outer, then side inner. That is the potential. 10 flares on a single target.

:D

Offline Enjix

• Salutes: 3
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:08 pm »
I'm not quite sure whether the inner flaks or the outer gats will be the limiting factor on the ship, because the gats are at a pretty funky angle, but look like they ought to aim forward well enough. It would definitely be tight though.

I should have clarified that I meant the possibility of 5 intersecting fields of fire on a 4 man ship doesn't make much sense.

A lot of the double strategy builds people have posted look really fun, and with the advantage of being able to swap from one side to the other faster than the junker and galleon being there, it's even better. Even just being able to choose between a broadside  or straight approach is a great feature feature too. It offers a lot of versatility.

However, having 5 guns all facing in generally the same direction... it's just too tempting to not want to fire all of them at once.  ;)

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2013, 03:57:21 pm »
I'm not quite sure whether the inner flaks or the outer gats will be the limiting factor on the ship, because the gats are at a pretty funky angle, but look like they ought to aim forward well enough. It would definitely be tight though.

We'll have to see. From what I could see in the video, the lower guns might be at less than 45°. It all depends on the angle of each gun.

However, having 5 guns all facing in generally the same direction... it's just too tempting to not want to fire all of them at once.

Agreed. Imagine five gatlings at once...

Better yet, imagine Flayed, with four quintuple-gat mantas firing on a single target.

If only.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 18, 2013, 04:36:16 pm »
5 harpoons is all you guys really need . . .