Author Topic: The Mobula  (Read 320972 times)

Offline NikolaiLev

• Salutes: 4
    • [Fur]
    • View Profile
Re: The Manta Ray
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2013, 02:46:02 am »
-Low mass
-High armor
-Low hull
-Moderate speed
-Slow turn speed
-High vertical speed

Names: Locus, Flap Jack

Two heavy guns in the lower ports and three light guns on the top would be very cool.

Sounds like a reverse junker, in a way.  I'm fine with this.  I just hope the ship after this one is another speedster ala the Squid.

Perhaps a small ship with two small, long balloons on either side, maybe with wings to make it akin to a heavy fighter ship.  Not sure what gun setup it'd have, though.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:48 am »
Keeping with the nautical or water creature naming of the ship:
Man-o'-war, both a class of ship and the animal, which it somewhat resembles.
Monitor, which is a small, shallow-draft ship designed for land bombardment.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 49
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:33 am »
Also anything on the mine layer!
i only discuss things i work on directly, so dont expect to here a single word out of me about that gun :P

and man-o-war? funny you mention that cause i actually had used a man o war (the animal) for inspiration during one string of designs.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:26 am »
Figured it'd have more dangly parts, if that's the case.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2013, 10:41:22 am »
That looks... really weird
Seeing all the forward facing guns is it going to be like a spire but with less "focus fire" and more "spread fire"?
Balloon looks big so... big balloon health? But it also looks awfully easy to shoot
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:43:21 am by Cheesy Crackers »

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2013, 11:20:45 am »
Ho yez, trigger fingers got an itch when i saw it. :D

Interesting concept for the gunner to have one side completely under his jurisdiction. I think he either mans the lower or upper deck, while secondary engineer mans the other. Or something.

Offline Gabranth

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »
I generally like the Design and Idea and Stuff , but I dont think its that stable , if the "cockpit" and the planks and weapons and all Stuff are ON TOP of the Balloon :D It would turn over all the Time , wouldnt it ?

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:45 pm »
I guess I'm of the minority who threw realism out the window and thought it looked awesome both from visual and tactical points of view.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2013, 02:42:03 pm »
yup that has actually already been brought up... Here is LordFunPants' response:

i really love seeing you guys dig deep into this ship. a lot of what you guys are talking about right now about the physics of the ship was well debated at muse. ultimately though, if it interferes with what we are looking for from a gameplay standpoint we sorta have to make a compromise in places. hell the concept of a ship with its balloon on the bottom was apparently considered "never going to happen" at one point for some of the reasons you're pointing out now . . . and trust me, i went through like a hundred designs before the one we have here,. . .  and when i mean hundreds, i mean it literally. . .

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 03:47:03 pm »
I guess I'm of the minority who threw realism out the window and thought it looked awesome both from visual and tactical points of view.

Looks like we're in the minority together.

The potential versatility in this ship is making want to fly it. Now.

Offline Arthem White

• Salutes: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2013, 03:52:57 pm »
In my defense, seeing as I guess I am in the "majority" that raised concerns about the stability, let me say this:

I'm not nitpicking in favour of realism. Don't get me wrong! Rather than complaining because the ship is unstable, I was trying to find awesome ways of how it could actually be stable in its current form (justifiable by lore if necessary). It's the sort of stuff I love to think about as an engineer IRL ^^. Either way it is amazing, and I hope Muse is never constrained by realism in their future ship designs.

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »
to be honest, i hope the speculation on how this thing flies keeps going, still working on it, making changes you know, and while I've always personally go with the "its a game" crowd, i know having those touches of realism/lore/believability/etc is a big deal for some folks so hey, if i can add something reasonable i will as long as it doesn't effect things on a gameplay point of view.  for instance, someone mentioned things hanging down to add stability? totally effects where and how you can fly this depending on how far that thing hangs down and how big. it also ends up counting as "hull" which also adds new weaknesses to it.  the biggest fear i had designing this ship is its daammnn wide which means we gotta fly through canyons/labyrinth alot to make sure it can squeeze through mostly everything, though it is relatively flat which in some ways makes up for that

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2013, 04:37:36 pm »
You're telling me I can't shoot the balloon at all?

Offline LordFunPants

• Muse Games
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2013, 04:39:46 pm »
wait, what now O_o

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2013, 04:40:37 pm »
it also ends up counting as "hull" which also adds new weaknesses to it.