Author Topic: Why airships?  (Read 111705 times)

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Why airships?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 12:05:42 pm »
So, to sum it up, there's two churches in GOI, and Tim and Shink lead them. Everything is shink's fault, including the extinction of skywhales and my bacon not being ready on time, while skywhales are still a holy sight.

TL:DR YEAAAHHH BACON SKYWHALES!

Or skywhale bacon. hmm.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:49 pm »
Fermented Skywhale blubber (really? "Späck" is called "blubber" in english?) is the national cuisine of Anglea

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 01:15:39 pm »
So, to sum it up, there's two churches in GOI, and Tim and Shink lead them. Everything is shink's fault, including the extinction of skywhales and my bacon not being ready on time, while skywhales are still a holy sight.

Or skywhale bacon. hmm.

I lead the Church of Bacon. Shink's just one our most vocal members.

Anyways... Let's not keep this tangent going.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 02:49:13 pm »

Or skywhale bacon. hmm.

I lead the Church of Bacon. Shink's just one our most vocal members.

Anyways... Let's not keep this tangent going.

Oh you do now? There may be some conflicts on our ship soon. See if I ever buff your merc again. *storms out*

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 03:48:19 pm »
I vote to replace Sunderland as Council member of the church of the holy Bacon... Naturally I will be his successor

Offline Mill Wilkinson

• Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:31 pm »
I vote to replace Sunderland as Council member of the church of the holy Bacon... Naturally I will be his successor
...naturally. <.<

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2013, 11:29:20 pm »
Although Muse denies my crackpot theories, I still believe GOI takes place on a planet that is not Earth. A planet where the gravity is less, and the air is more dense. Thus the air airships of GOI world don't need as much lift gas per pound as Earth based airships do. If the planet we play on is not earth that also explains the remarkably skinny looking humanoid species we find there (that all have the same face). It also leaves open the possibility of whales that evolved for the sky.

Needs more necro. How about postapocalyptic earth, nukes blew big chunks of the planet into dust, resulting in lower gravity and higher atmosphere density while still on earth? Also that skywhale picture. It wants a low density gas in it's stomach, wouldn't overpressurized hot gas be contra-productive? Isn't that also how you produce plasma?

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 12:14:38 am »
Gravity is mostly generated by a planets core, plus the planets crust is like the skin of a grape, relatively thin to the rest of planet. I'm all for the Alt-Earth idea however, it seems logical (If a bit more fantasy, then again Sky Whales)

Offline Sprayer

• Salutes: 14
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 01:47:24 am »
Like really, really, really big chunks.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 02:43:20 pm »
Guys, it's really obvious that the highly irradiated scorched earth affected the genetic structure of whales living in the oceans. 

These whales serendipitously grew specialized organs capable of generating dark matter through highly complicated protein manipulation of atoms on a molecular level.  The whales gained the ability to not only control their buoyancy in water by generating this anti gravity matter within their bodies but also the ability to migrate towards food sources across the planet by floating on air currents. By using far fewer resources when traveling, they gained a competitive advantage over whales not able to float thereby enabling them to breed at higher rates. 

Skywhales still mostly traveled over water and were rarely seen near land.  Though many fishermen and people dwelling near the shores swore to have seen them, they were more or less viewed as a fairy tale creatures and imaginings of old salty sailors.  This of course was mostly due to the remaining governments during the age of dust conspiring to cover up the existence of the skywhales. 

Understanding the incredible strategic advantage of having a technology capable of making something as heavy as a whale float, the majority of whales that wandered close to shore were immediately harpooned down and scurried underground for secret government experiments. Eventually this  lead scientists towards a rather simple method of production which though initially closely guarded, leaked out to the public when one of the governments failed.

Access to this ability to create dark matter is widely available now to any group capable of creating even a modest biochemical production facility; unfortunately the mass government hunting of skywhales made the species extinct. 

Still though every now and then in a tavern, far away from civilization; you hear tales being spun by sky captains, probably gone crazy from the decades of moonshine, swearing to have seen one. 

Most of them are known liars but every once and a while, a dull glow returns into the old war torn and weary eyes of a skyman as he tells his humble tale of majestic sea creatures emerging from the waves, water cascading off their hulking frames, jettisoning halos of vapor as they lift towards the heavens. Tales that make even the biggest skeptics pause and wonder, what if.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 03:18:48 pm »
Wow, you realise the messed up evolution for the whales now?

Seacreatures --> landcreatures --> semi-aquatic creatures --> seacreatures --> aircreatures

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 04:43:40 pm »
Evolution has done crazier things.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »
Like say... the new breed of elfs that seemingly inhabit the Age of Air

Offline Adrasteia

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 06:49:54 pm »
Wow, you realise the messed up evolution for the whales now?

Seacreatures --> landcreatures --> semi-aquatic creatures --> seacreatures --> aircreatures

My good sir,
I believe that whales, ironically, were originally land creatures. 
                                   <3
                                   >^.^<
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:52:39 pm by Adrasteia »

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 07:12:40 pm »
Skywhales however evolve quickly, they are now the rare sight within deep deserts, the Sand Whales, may the whales flow.
(Just had to)